Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2022

Discussion in 'Canada' started by cypher, 3 Jan 2022.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zoomo drivers know nothing. Look how often they say clearly wrong and out of date things. They were probably still working off the spring script. There is no way on earth this is getting finished even by September. Come October the temps start to become unpredictable and while they might let the orangs out to test the exhibit I doubt they would put them on display. I also do not think Dolf and his gang are foolish enough to open a brand new multi million dollar state of the art exhibit that will be his first true showcase of his vision for the zoo at such a bad time. It wont drive visits in September or October the way it would starting Victoria Day weekend next year (maybe as early as Easter weekend since its in April next year, weather dependent). Then you get not only the interest from regular zoo goers but you can use it to drive end of year field trips and corporate events. I do think they will have the majority of the exhibit done this fall but they will hold off the grand opening until next spring.

2. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. TZFan

Its been so long since the aviary was open I don't really remember what it was like open. Thrilling to see it will be open again. Maybe we can get more birds with a big new aviary for them to enjoy.

4. GorillaFan15

GorillaFan15 Well-Known Member

8E3B7813-B231-47FC-842E-D08602A5DDA3.jpeg
    A new look at the interior of the orangutan exhibit from Dolf and wow it’s really coming together. I can’t wait to see this next year, it’s looking like it will be something special!

Aelita and Azubaa like this.
  5. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It will be real nice to see the outdoor aviary open back up in Australasia. It's been so long that I don't think most visitors even know it exists.

The Orangutan outdoor exhibit is coming along nicely. Getting little updates that Dolf is posting is really nice in terms of anticipation.

Aelita likes this.
  6. Aelita

Aelita Well-Known Member

I don’t know if it’s the right place to discuss- but has there been any news on if or when TZ would get veterinary staff?
    This had surfaced a few days ago- and according to the vet they were let go. Could this have something to do with the new Wildlife Director position that was posted recently?

7. Kalvin

Kalvin Well-Known Member

8. Zooer

Zooer Well-Known Member

Okay - apologies in advance for the superfluous number of photos of the orangutan exhibit, but we were there on the weekend.

You can walk just outside the doors of the pavilion to see what it will look like (presumably allowed… it wasn’t locked).
    FC793DCE-6B5F-4627-BCDA-DD8EB3716D75.jpeg 90221A0D-6587-4427-9ADE-947271F0DD0E.jpeg 09F6023D-5589-4AE9-A4F5-E855489E541E.jpeg

Then you can see it coming along from the Zoomobile as well:

88E13B5C-6A56-42EC-BC24-368CF1D2DD4E.jpeg CD795728-9A4C-4DEA-B0F1-8D75C404399A.jpeg DF81791E-7A77-4575-988B-19BBCF3427BF.jpeg 6A3AAAED-2415-4D4F-9CAD-7CAC18163B51.jpeg

The kids conned me into taking the zoo mobile twice - so I heard one driver say end of summer and another say nothing. But I suspect the second one is more likely at this point.

One other question - I peaked over the barrier at the penguins - was the pool always painted beige? I thought it was blue like the polar bears?

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. hyena142

hyena142 Well-Known Member

Oh wow these might be the best pics of the new exhibit we've gotten yet, very well done. I'm not sure they want people going outside but hey if they left the door unlocked and have a fence there keeping you out of the actual construction site anything goes lol. The new tile looks gorgeous.

No shot end of summer is happening, I mean I won't complain if it does. School starts in what 3 weeks? Even if they work at warp speed and manage to get it done by then it'll still be a while for the orangs to get acclimated enough to welcome guests. Unless they decide to open it but with no animals in it yet? That'd be dumb.

The penguin pool just got repainted from blue to beige so you're definitely not imagining things.

10. TZFan

I gotta agree with Hyena142, you probably where somewhere you shouldnt have been but hey their fault for leaving a door unlocked and we get to benefit with some amazing photos. You photos are doing it more justice than Dolf's. Get a much better idea of how amazing it looks. This might actually be a world class exhibit, definitely looks like it will be best at the zoo hands down.

So much looks like it needs to be done no way end of summer is possible. Even if it was mostly done they need to do planting and let the plants take root before the orangs rip it all out while they are busy inspecting. Planting in the fall and now would help to establish things before the orangs move in next spring.

11. Zooer

Zooer Well-Known Member

Naw - it's been unlocked for months, and there is a little fenced semi-circle area outside the pavilion where you can stand. I just didn't include the fence in the picture.

I was shocked at all of the difference vantages points (the boardwalk and tower at the back really shows you're going to be able to go all the way around). I would honestly walk around it in the fall if they'd open it before the orangs go in.

12. GorillaFan15

GorillaFan15 Well-Known Member

I do wonder if the second O-Line going through the rouge valley will open with the main orangutan exhibit? Last time I visited I noticed there was some small construction progress in the area. Im guessing that because the zoo wants the o-line to extend to the new front entrance they might just hold off on it?

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. hyena142

According to Dolf the penguins went back out on exhibit today!
    upload_2022-8-16_21-23-53.png

14. Zooer

Zooer Well-Known Member

I just saw that! Cannot believe I missed them. I guess I’ll have to go back this weekend.

15. bubblywums

bubblywums Member

They're out but they seem to be getting used to things again. I noticed they kept going back inside quite a bit, but it was so nice to see a few swimming around and they were VERY vocal. I've never heard them make so much noise.

16. AJ the TZ Guy

AJ the TZ Guy Well-Known Member

I'm so happy the penguins are back and I'll be able to see them on my next visit, I was really sad that I couldn't see them last year. :'3

17. Jefferson

Jefferson Well-Known Member

Fence posts are in at the new Amur Tiger Habitat. Looks to be about the same size as the current main habitat. Still lots to do to get ready, unclear to me if they are planning any specific viewing area at this time from what I can see.
    3B1ECA65-28D0-430A-9529-929003D25299.jpeg 6F249717-BA12-4095-9920-342B37B9C6B0.jpeg

18. hyena142

Some amazing new looks at the orang exhibit from Dolf's insta

upload_2022-9-8_10-8-24.png

upload_2022-9-8_10-8-42.png

upload_2022-9-8_10-8-55.png

upload_2022-9-8_10-9-9.png

upload_2022-9-8_10-9-21.png

upload_2022-9-8_10-9-34.png

19. Flixox101

Flixox101 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is looking great!

Are those logs with the netting going to be propped up as a climbing structure? Looks a bit odd to have them just laying on the ground.

Also why is there black matte panels on a portion of the rock work wall within the exhibit? I'm guessing they still need to do rock work over it. Just looks like an eye sore.

20. Zooer

Zooer Well-Known Member

I would guess our best source of news on timing will be October 13th at the Board meeting? Even then - they might be non-committal, but should be addressed at least conversationally I would think?