Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Discussion thread 2022

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Kalvin, 2 Jan 2022.

1. Van Beal

Van Beal Well-Known Member

Yeah. Googled them just to see and you’re more than likely correct.

2. Kalvin

Kalvin Well-Known Member

Dolf posted that they've installed new glass at the pygmy hippo boardwalk. Does anyone know whether they've reopened that area yet or if it's still inaccessible to the public?

3. AJ the TZ Guy

AJ the TZ Guy Well-Known Member

To partially answer a question from earlier, here's the birds I've personally spotted in the Australasia Pavilion over my past seven visits:

Galah cockatoo
    Victoria crowned pigeon
    Red-tailed black cockatoo
    Little pied cormorant
    Laughing kookaburra
    Pied imperial pigeon

Any others that might be there, I've only ever heard mentioned.

Also, for some reason I can't edit my zoo report post, and I noticed a big mistake I wanted to fix. :c

4. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@AJ the TZ Guy, our galah named Graham has passed away. The red tailed black cockatoos have been gone for awhile as their owner asked for them back. The little pied cormorants have all passed away as well.

5. hyena142

hyena142 Well-Known Member

@Kalvin I was there on Monday, it was still closed

Kalvin likes this.
  6. Zooer

Zooer Well-Known Member

I think I'm going on Sunday. I can check.

7. Zooer

Zooer Well-Known Member

I forgot to update - but it was still closed on Sunday.

8. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited the zoo again today.
    • The free-flight aviary in Indomalaya has birds again. I've noted crested wood-partridge, Nicobar pigeon, and a blleding-heart dove, although I might've seen the Malay crested fireback around too. Iggy the cattle egret was nowhere to be seen around the rhinoceros pavilion, and the peafowl are on display in their winter exhibit, albeit with rope surrounding the glass viewing area.
    • The African Rainforest walk-through aviary still has no birds, but the area with better viewing of the sacred ibises and African spoonbills has reopened. Black crake and speckled mouebird were seen in the nearby aviary. There is also a veiled chameleon on display instead of the usual Meller's chameleon.
    • All of the chamois signage has been taken down, and a sign was posted apologizing for a lack of animals in the exhibit.
    • All the climbing apparatus in the former tree-kangaroo exhibit is gone. Walk-through aviary is still closed, and I'm pretty sure all of the Americas aviary birds are still here, as I saw quite a few scarlet ibis.
    • Apparently the holiday market is running in the old Panda Interprative Center. Shockingly, Hannibal the Chinese giant salamander is still here!
    Photos will be posted soon.

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  9. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

@TheGerenuk I noticed that you had posted a pic of Mr.P the porcupine and the meerkats, were they sharing the exhibit? Also is the Tree Kangaroo exhibit just plain grass now? Since al of the climbing structures were removed?

10. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, Mr. P the porcupine was with the meerkats on my visit. The tree kangaroo exhibit is just plain grass now.

11. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Did you guys know you can watch Zoo Diaries from start to finish on Amazon Prime if you subscribe to Stacked TV? Holiday shopping led to a Prime membership for the month (free) and while browsing for something to watch I found Zoo Diaries. Am I binge watching it right now? YEP! I miss all my old friends and makes me value Charles and Puppe still being around all the more.

BovidBabe likes this.
  12. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

I think that there was a mention a few months back about the Bush-tailed Bettongs. I am not sure how many are left but I know that Tucker is the male currently on and off exhibit.