Join our zoo community

Toucan owners in the Netherlands

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by Franziska Wild, 17 Jan 2019.

1. Franziska Wild

Franziska Wild New Member

I am from Germany but I'm gonna move to the Netherlands in about a year. At some point in a few years I would then like to own a pair of toucans. I am gonna try to breed with them but that is not gonna be the focus. Now my question is if there are any people in the Netherlands or possibly also in Germany near to the dutch border who keep toucans. I would like to talk to other toucan owners to better understand what it really means to care for those birds and possible also visit for a day. I am also asking because when I have toucans I would possibly wanna go on holidays every second year. In that time there would need to be somebody to care for the toucans. I just wanna ask if there are other people in the Netherlands who have experience with toucans because it seems to be hard to find people to care for your birds on holidays so I already just wanna find out a bit more.

2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hi Franziska, yes there is a good number of Toucan-keepers in the Netherlands and I guess its best to become a member of the Dutch Softbill Society ( Speciaalclub voor vrucht en insektetende vogels ) because here the change to find toucan keepers / breeders is good.
    There are even some special toucan breeding stations or breeding stations which have toucans as one of there specialities.
    I myself don't have any toucans at the moment but in the past I've taken care for a good number of species at 2 German ( :) ) zoos and a Belgium one and I would be glatt to help you if possible.

3. Franziska Wild

Thank you that's really nice. My problem is that mist dutch clubs and websites are... dutch. Obviously. But I sadly don't speak dutch. My boyfriend is from the Netherlands though so I could maybe ask him to translate for me.

4. vogelcommando

5. vogelcommando

If he is a nice guy ( like most Dutchs people are ;) ) he will help you and.... Dutch and German are not that much different and if you have planned to live in the Netherlands it would be wise to already start to learn the language.
    With very specialized words you can alway ask some kind of bird-nerd which speaks both Dutch and German, is on ZooChat and has tried to answer your questions as good as he can sofar ;) !

6. Franziska Wild

Yes I noticed that with german and english you can pretty much understand most dutch. I will ask if neccessary thank you. I plan on learning dutch but it's not that urgent since I will work from home and in english

7. Franziska Wild

vogelcommando likes this.