Join our zoo community

Touching Education Animals

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Leptonyx, 30 Nov 2008.

1. Leptonyx

Leptonyx Well-Known Member

Just wondering what everyone's opinions are on the use of education animals, and specifically, if members of the public should be allowed to touch them. I've heard positive and negatives from both sides, so do you think it's better for an education animal to be a "look only", or a "touch" animal as well? I'm thinking particularily to cases where people have been allowed to pet raptors, large crocodilians, and certain carnivores (wolf hybrids, cougars, or the cubs of these species)- the use of insects, small rodents, and certain snakes doesn't bother me as much.

2. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

I personally think neutral on the subject being that the animal might feel uncomfortable, but it gives the public education in the texture of the animal. But little kids seem to be very keen to learn about exotics, I don't blame them! ;) it's all about choice and I think it helps being aware, e.g touching a snake could make a girl get over her fears,

3. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

I suppose it's OK for kids to touch snakes, insects, small rodents etc. but i think big cats and such is going too far. If they want to touch something, they should go to the childrens zoo. Surely there is more educational value in seeing these animals in well-designed enclosures performing natural behaviours.

4. dragon(ele)nerd

hmm, yeah animals that have a short temper and have a tendency to snap quickly won't tolerate kids at all!!!

5. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Besides obviously dangerous animals, I'm always a little bit worried about the potential of zoonosis transmission due to direct contact. A strict hygiene program involving the visitors (possibilty to clean hands properly after contact), animal handlers and animals (constant medical checking) should be mandatory.

6. Leptonyx

Leptonyx Well-Known Member

Yeah...I always shudder when I see the younger kids who touch an animal, then stick their hands in their mouth immediately afterwards :confused:

When I was doing education presentations using our raptors, I was told that we shouldn't touch them in public unless absolutely necessary, since it might give the wrong impression that these birds are our "pets", and might inspire some member of the public to try and do the same. Even when we explain thoroughly that these birds are wild animals- you always have the one or two knuckleheads who you can't seem to get thru to ("Ohh..okay.,..so where can I get one? If I can't get one here- can I get them from another country?" etc.)- in those cases I was glad I hadn't pet her or else it might prompt them to go further!

7. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

Its also important to note, on a zoonotic disease level, that these animals remain isolated (on a quaratine level) from the rest of the facility's collection.

8. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

alot of reptile talks involve handling pythons. When I was younger I attended a python care course. at the start of the course the man putting on the course handed out the young pythons, they just moved around the class on people. it ended up that one person ended up with two very pissed off pythons on one shoulder. But what really bothered me was that at no point in the course did the man say anything about NOT picking up or going near wild snakes. 99% of talks would say this and it is very important when doing python interactions to stress, especially to kids not to pick anyone up. at a recent event we had we we had the reptile talks held. two of the gentlemen that were with one of the marquee hire companies were from overseas. they saw the reptile man setting up. a little while later a snake came out from under one of the permanent kiosks on our site. these two men followed the brown snake along the road. Unfortunately we had to kill the snake as one snake and 30,000 people isn't a good combination but this could have been avoided if these foreign lads had have let it be. We were trying to get the reptile guys up from the other side of the site to move him safely. So I think in any talk it is important to stress the possible dangers.

9. dragon(ele)nerd

since young kid's brains are soo much like sponges, it would be great to have a generation tha generally, appreciates animals and aren't scared of them. ;)

10. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

I think it all depends on the keeper/what kind of animal/individual animal. There is a zookeeper at the Toronto Zoo who will go around the zoo with a Greater Indian Hornbill on his arm named Aasha, and he'll educate the people about the species, endangered species, etc, and encourages people to pet her. She's blind after an accident with her mate and soaks in all the attention she gets.

11. dragon(ele)nerd

Now that is what I call caring! :)

12. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I remember one cockatoo in Avifauna, Alphen, where children were giving it banknotes and cockatoo was putting them into a donation box. Talk about clever ways of fund raising for conservation programs!

I think it much depends from type of animal, its individual character and selection of visitors. In one falconry centre I was allowed to fly a Harris Hawk. I liked it. But falconer selected one person from many and little child certainly would not be allowed to do this.

13. Sun Wukong

Always nice in theory, but don't forget the "human factor" ( human interaction within the staff, exchange of tools, incorrect/lazy control of hygiene protocoll...) in reality. With the common change of staff especially in the education sector (volunteers...), it's hard if impossible to keep in hygiene on a quaratine level.

@Jurek7: "I was allowed to fly a Harris Hawk. I liked it." I bet you did; it is fun. ;)

14. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

I think it also depends on the animal. At my college we have some bearded dragons, one loves being handled and never seems to get stressed, and the other isn't all that keen on people.

15. djaeon

djaeon Well-Known Member

Health reasons aside, I'm neutral on the subject. I think it depends on the animal's individual personality. I know I personally would love to pet a cheetah;)

16. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Encourage public for to pet a wild animal is a very bad idea,I think.If touching an animal the transmitted idea is "it´s adorable and pacific like a pet" it´s not good idea for transmit...education it´s possible without to touch the animals.It´s my opinion...

17. roobee

roobee Member

I totally agree with Keeper. It is not a good idea to try to make a pet out of a wild animal.

They should be allowed to stay wild, and their surroundings should mimic their habitat in the wild.

In the best of all possible worlds, they should be left in the wild, and if people want to see them, then like the gorillas in Rwanda and the wildlife in some parts of Africa, a small number of people taken in a group to see them from a hide or something like that, is the best way to visit them.

18. dragon(ele)nerd

Yeah you do have a very valid point, touching an animal only really can either get a feel of texture of the animal, or in some cases get over fears of some animals. Sure wouldn't like a bunch of bigger species passing me around to be touched come to think about it! ;)

19. roobee

roobee Member

"Sure wouldn't like a bunch of bigger species passing me around to be touched come to think about it!"

Very well said, dragon(ele)nerd! I would absolutely hate that to happen to me, also!

In fact, where I live, I often have to rescue orphaned kangaroos, and we are not allowed to take them out to show anyone while they are in rehab. It is in the Code of Practice of the Government Department which is responsible for the licensing of the shelters, which means we can't take them to schools or fundraising events. It would stress them out too much, and they are not supposed to be used as attractions.

20. Sun Wukong

@KEEPER: Indeed, a too daredevil/careless/trivialising handling might send off the wrong message, including "It seems to make a wonderful, harmless pet". However, a reasonable and careful show with certain individual animals can have a positive educational and emotional effect-including preventing ophidiophobia out of ignorance.

@roobee: Such eco-tourism might sound very promising, but is not always possible. Additionally, the growing numbers of tourists quite often increase stress and pressure on the wild living animals-see situation in the larger American and African national parks, Galapagos Islands, whale-watching, whaleshark, manatee or manta ray diving etc. etc. In case of the gorillas, potential anthropozoonotic spreading of diseases via close contact to tourists or locals is another problem.