Join our zoo community

Tourists Kidnapp Bison Calf Because It Was Cold

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Loxodonta Cobra, 15 May 2016.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

most news reports, especially about "minor news" from non-European or non-American countries, stem from one news item. It is often just reworded to make it seem different, and then you get a large volume of reports all saying much the same thing - but that doesn't mean it is true. Sometimes you need to dig around to find what the truth behind it is (not saying that every news report is untrue of course, but often there is more to what is being reported).

2. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Heh, I definitely know that. It's especially bad when all of the news outlets are taking from a single unreliable "news" source, like the Daily Mail. Happens once in a while where everyone is freaking out about something, and I point out, "Guys, it's from the Daily Mail, can we trust it?" and then a few days later it turns out that no, we can't.

3. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I like how the media were all saying the tourists "were from another country", and then it turns out the country they were from was just Canada! :D

5. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

That's a judicial instruction you don't often hear!

:p

Hix

6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

His final statement in the article says he feared the baby bison "would have been either killed by a car or something, or worse been eaten alive." Oh yes that would be much worse for it to help feed the park's wolves or mountain lions. :rolleyes:

7. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They need to watch The Lion King. It's the ciiiiiiiircle of liiiiiife! I prevent the tadpoles in my backyard from death by drying, but I'm not gonna protect 'em from predators. The predators aren't less worthy of existence.