Join our zoo community

Trading of dwarf chimpanzee in the Congo

Discussion in 'Africa & Middle East - General' started by kiglezi, 16 May 2009.

1. kiglezi

kiglezi Active Member

The future certinely looks very bleak for the dwarf chimpanzee which is endemic to Congo. Anyone have any recent estimates of remaning numbers?

A Bonobo Video — Please, No More | Searching for Bonobo in Congo

On linl above is a video showing a infant found in a small village and which was taken from its mother only two days previous this video was made. Shows that the hunting and trading is very much alive in the wild.

Stuff like this absolutely breaks my heart:(:(

2. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

I know this is old, but poor little ape :( Quite possibly the cutest thing I've ever seen.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is one thing putting up videos like this. Bushmeat trade and orphan wildlife trade are well known for the Congo Basin. Nothing new, every great ape or other wildlife captured or hunted is ONE too many!

However, should you REALLY wish to do something about the bushmeat cum wildlife trade - from an armchair in well-off W-Europe it is pretty darn easy - please visit the Year of the Gorilla site at Welcome to the Year of the Gorilla 2009 site (all gorilla species) or the Lola Ya Bonobo site (bonobos only) at Friends of Bonobos - Lola Ya Bonobo or Lola Ya Bonobo and put some of your money where your mouths are. :D

(NOTE OF CAUTION: no amount of critiscim will help the great apes any which way, just effective realism will assist in amelioratieve action/ assisting wild populations to survive the human onslaught).

K.B.