Join our zoo community

Training a group of Goeldii's

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Nicolai Bach Thomas, 8 Dec 2020.

1. Nicolai Bach Thomas

Nicolai Bach Thomas Member

Hello zoochat!
    I have recently gotten the exciting task of training our 2.2.1 C. goeldii group to enter a transport cage.

The animals have only had brief experience with training and this is my first time putting together a training plan, so i thought i would ask in here for examples or tips on cage-training callitrichids.

They live in a tropical house setting and share 3.000 m2 with 50 other species, where every animal is free to roam however they want.

Many humble thanks in advance

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Have you read the EAZA Callitrichid guidelines husbandry manual ?

It has a pretty extensive chapter on this particular subject and many others relating to these primates.

If you haven't read it yet PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

3. Nicolai Bach Thomas

I did indeed go through the husbandry guidelines and even though i find section 2.6 Capture, handling and transport (which i assume is the chapter you are refering to) quite helpful, i am still looking for experiences to help me.

Especially as it is a group of animals and because it is not for transport related catching.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

No problem.

Have an idea so will PM you on this subject.

Nicolai Bach Thomas likes this.
  5. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

I suggest training them in an area in the house that is quieter for them to focus. Some tricks I have seen used are: leaving the crates in the exhibit for them to get used to them, placing food or toys in the crates to encourage them to enter, if they use any vocal signals like whistles I suggest implementing those into training, regularly go into the exhibit and have them enter the cages with a specific vocal signal, and finally once they have fully acclimated to the cages close the doors a few time to show them there is no danger. On the day of the move, you need to make sure everything is as normal as possible so that the monkeys aren't alarmed by any new changes. Changes in the environment or just your general demeanor can immediately set them off and it will become much harder to transport them. I hope these were helpful.

6. Nicolai Bach Thomas

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and thanks for taking the time to write!