Join our zoo community

Traveling Zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by birdsandbats, 20 Sep 2017.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Has anyone else seen a traveling zoo? A zoo that goes to things like state fairs? I saw one called Aussie Kingdom. It had a nice collection of Australian Animals, like Red Kangaroos, Bennett's Wallabies, Gray Kangaroos, Wallaroos, Dingoes, Budgerigars, Gouldian Finches, Laughing Kookaburras, Sugar Gliders, Blue-Tongued Skinks, and Bearded Dragons. It had some others too. They had a show a few times a day, where they would take the animals out of their cages and demonstrate some of their natural behaviors. Are there any other traveling zoos that anyone else has seen?

2. Merintia

Merintia Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I saw two here in Spain, but both many years ago, probably 15 or 20. The first one was located during few weeks on the parking of a shopping mall, and the collection consisted mainly on exotic but pretty common animals, I can remember Sugar Gliders, Prairie Dogs, Squirrels, Llama, some antelope, Ostrich and Emu, Wallabies, macaws, small parrots nad budgies, a fox, porcupines, hedgehog... Also small terrariums with the typical reptiles. And the stars of the "zoo", two tiny of those "detachable" pools that are used for children, with a pair of penguins and a small sea lion, and a trailed with a glass windos and two nurse sharks inside. Not to mention the condition of the animals were far from be good, specially for the marine ones.

The second one was similar, but with no marine animals and more common species. They also had a show with trained cats, and did an exhibition with reptiles.

And few years ago there was also a big reptile exhibition, surprisingly very good for a travelling exhibition, with big terrariums and interesting species.