Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo (Closed) Treasures unveiled from Bristol Zoo’s archives

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Peter Dickinson, 20 Jan 2011.

1. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

this will interest every zoochatter in the UK I should imagine. The programme is on at 7pm Monday 11 July, BBC One (West only)
    BBC - BBC One Programmes - The Animal Magic Zoo

3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

TV fame at last for ol' Brownie, eh? :D

Sounds a good show - and those who were at the recent IZES meeting at Bristol know what a mine of information and anecdotes Don Packham is. Would imagine it will be on BBC iPlayer for those of us not in the West Country.

4. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

It has been announced on Bristol Zoo's twitter that the programme will also be shown nationally on BBC2 at 7pm on July 21st.

5. Maguari

Thanks for the tip-off - looking forward to it!

6. Bubbles

Bubbles Well-Known Member

Re: FPZ not acknowledging it's 50 years because Mr Gibb took it over in 1976... it's nice to see Bristol Zoo celebrate it's history. I bet it's had a few owners as well. ;)

7. Maguari

Actually no, the Bristol and Clifton Zoological Society was brought into being to set the zoo up and still owns it to this day. :)

8. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

9. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

You have just beat me to it with this information, a very good programme it is too. The highlight for me being the man himself being given the baby gorilla to hold by its mother Delila, as good watching this today as it was when first broadcast many years ago. Good points raised in the programme, how the zoo has evolved during its 175 years, and not hiding the fact that the big cats were housed in conditions years ago that would not be considered appropriate today, also seeing Wendy and Christina the elephants marvellous

10. Maguari

Any UKers sat at home - this is about to begin on BBC2 as I type!

Last edited: 22 Jul 2011
  11. Maguari

12. Shirokuma

I watched the programme and enjoyed it although they had a female voice-over for a male okapi...

13. hadrada

hadrada Well-Known Member

Good Programme,Bristol was one of the first zoos i visited as a kid and i remember seeing that Polar bear rocking back & forth in that awful pit and thinking that isnt right,didnt at that time realise that it was an ex circus animal.

Its a neat little zoo Bristol,i would urge anyone who hasnt been there to visit,they certainly have come on leaps and bounds from those "dark days".

14. Shirokuma

I agree, it is a lovely zoo and I also recommend it as a place to take non-zoo people. I went with my sister and spent all day there, she enjoyed it very much.

15. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Really enjoyed the programme last night . Brought back many happy memories of 50+ years of regular visits . Very interesting to see gorilla Delilah handing baby Daniel over to Jonny Morris .