Join our zoo community

Tree-climbing otters.

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Neil chace, 27 Mar 2020.

1. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My local zoo, the Capron Park Zoo, has had north american river otters climb a tree on numerous occasions. I was wondering if anyone has seen this at any other facilities or in the wild. It is a behavior that hasn't really been documented outside of our facility, yet it has happened on enough occasions that I seriously question if it truly is the only place this has happened.

2. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This website I found about red panda mixed-species exhibits says that mixing red pandas with otters is challenging because they sometimes climb trees to harass the pandas.
    en/Mixed exhibit Procyonidae Ailuridae

Neil chace likes this.
  3. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In the Bristol Zoo otter enclosure a willow tree had to have a barrier on the trunk to keep them from climbing up (and out). I believe there are reports of wild otters in Britain using willow trees as denning sites, at least for resting if not raising young

Neil chace likes this.
  4. Birdlover

Birdlover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They climb the tree in their exhibit at Buttonwood Park Zoo.

Neil chace likes this.
  5. Neil chace

Honestly, I am 100% not surprised the Buttonwood otters climb their tree. On my last visit, I noticed the tree and thought that the otters at Capron would so definitely climb it. Not surprised the Buttonwood otters have figured it out.

6. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have seen Asian small-clawed otters climbing on logs and trunks used as structural, decorative and sheltering elements in their exhibits, as well as on rocks. So I am not at all surprised that they would attempt to climb a tree.

Neil chace likes this.
  7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Many years ago in Zurich zoo a female Lutra lutra barang climbed a tree near the fence of the otter enclosure and escaped. She killed several waterfowl, including a breeding pair of steamer ducks. When she was recaptured and returned to her enclosure she immediately went to the same tree again.

Neil chace likes this.
  8. Neil chace

Really, I am not at all surprised the number of zoos with tree climbing otters. What we have to wonder really is why.
    Could it be-
    Extra time in captivity (not having to hunt) has led to more curiosity among otters?
    A skill from the wild that just hasn't been largely recorded?
    An alternate location for a den?
    Something else?

ZooElephantMan and TheMightyOrca like this.
  9. Zoo fanatic

Zoo fanatic Well-Known Member

I know this is a late reply but I visited the zoo for the first time recently and noticed it to. If you look in the Capron Park Zoo media I posted a picture of it.

10. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

From Crandall, 1964: "Since otters are usually considered to be unable to climb trees, we once were greatly surprised to find that a female of the Florida race (L. canadensis vaga) had developed the habit of ascending to a height of 6 feet or more in a small cherry tree... She accomplished this by hugging the trunk with her forelegs and inching herself upwward. This she did easily enough, but when she attempted to descend by reversing the process, she was awkward and uncertain."

ZooElephantMan likes this.
  11. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In a French zoo, I saw a small-clawed otter chasing a red panda up its climbing platform and then eating food from its dish.

birdsandbats likes this.