Join our zoo community

Trend in zoo renovations

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by MKE Zoo guy, 25 Sep 2017.

1. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As I have been looking into what zoos across the United States as well as some international zoos, it has appeared that Africa exhibits are getting the renovation attention. I am assuming that is because many are upgrading their elephant exhibits due to the new AZA requirements. Has anyone else noticed these trends?

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think that you are correct both that there is a wave of new Africa exhibits (Fresno, Omaha, Dallas, Columbus, soon Milwaukee) and that most of them are anchored by new elephant exhibits (Columbus being a notable exception).

MKE Zoo guy likes this.
  3. MKE Zoo guy

Any other trends that are forming with renovations or master plans that are being developed?

4. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Lots of hippo renovations lately as well.

5. MKE Zoo guy

That’s true, although I think it goes along with the elephant exhibit. Zoos are wanting to showcase their hippos in the water that they are in large amount of time.

Also I’m seeing a lot more mix exhibits too.

6. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is on a more long term scale, but a bit ago there were a lot of polar bear exhibit renovations / removals, then africa and elephants in general, then there were a decent number of south america exhibits (LA, Beardsley, RWPZ)

7. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Haven't Africa exhibits always been pretty much an essential part of any zoo? These renovations probably aren't anything new.

8. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Master plans are very specific to the facility.
    If a polar bear exhibit, for example, is small and old and the animal is young enough then that may be seen as a Master Plan priority. If the African plains exhibit is older and too small then that may be a bigger priority. Or the Bird House. Or bears. But often a new entrance or restaurant comes first, reflecting the growth in attendance and need to accommodate visitors.

9. MKE Zoo guy

Yes they have been a large stable of most zoos. I’ve just notice with different zoos that I have been looking into, they are renovating their Africa exhibits in larger numbers then I’ve seen in recent past.

I agree too that most of these new renovations are also tied to revenue generating things like new enterances, restaurants, etc.

10. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

There have been many Asian highland exhibits opening in some zoos. I hope this thread of African exhibits come to Oakland...