Join our zoo community

SEA LIFE London Aquarium Triakis sharks

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by devilfish, 3 Mar 2015.

1. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I visited the aquarium last week and was glad to see an improvement. Themed music isn't nearly as annoying, with different tunes for each area, and many of the graphics/educational displays look much more appealing.

However, the standard entry price of £23.50 is ridiculous and they have also removed any concession discounts.

One of the new changes was a small number of Triakis spp. sharks in the ocean tunnel tank. All those I saw were spotted, and I was convinced that at least one looked like a T. scyllium (having checked my guide after the visit). It would seem that others are likely to be either T. maculata or T. megalopterus but staff are unable to identify which species. Given that these sharks are uncommon in captivity (at best), if anyone visits and manages an ID, it would be interesting.

2. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Any photos of them??

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

Agreed: any photos and we might have a try!

I am glad that interest in sharks and rays and their captive-breeding is getting to new heights. Very timely since 100 million sharks are put away with each year for consumptive usage!