Join our zoo community

Trip in Spain: Barcelona (Zoo) and Valencia (Bioparc)

Discussion in 'Spain' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 15 Feb 2017.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I have just booked tickets for Spain. I am lending in Barcelona on 27th of March 2017; the next day on 28th of March, I am in Barcelona zoo, and on 29th evening I will leave for Valencia via bus or train, and on 30th of March I will visit Valencia Bioparc. I am returning home on 1st of April, from Valencia. I would be glad to meet any zoochatter in these two zoos, if you want that too. I chosed Spain because I love subtropics and their zoos.
    Any special ''must see'' in Barcelona zoo or in Valencia Bioparc?
    Athough collection in Valencia is not very diverse, the park looks very attractive and I am sad that I can not visit Madrid and their giant pandas and koalas, so I am leaving Madrid for some other trip.

2. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What are you doing 31st March as there is also l'oceanografic in Valencia.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  3. Nikola Chavkosk

Free day nothing particularly planned, I may attend this l'oceanografic, you will be there? :)

4. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Afraid not, I'm in the UK but recommend it if you're looking for another animal collection to visit.

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  5. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Barcelona zoo has a very good reptile house and a splendid primate collection. The hoofstock include black faced impalas and dorcas gazelles. When at the bird house do visit the palm tree courtyard area outside which has more nice birds. Do climb up the mountain to see the libyan barbary sheep.The Barcelona aquarium is at the end of the Ramblas and can be seen in about an hour and a half. But if you go to Oceanagraphic in Valencia then skip the Barcelona aquarium.

6. Nikola Chavkosk

Can someone help me with advice with the next, please:

-At what train station in Barcelona I can get a train to Valencia (I will travel at evening);
    -At what station, such train from Barcelona, will bring me in Valencia, and,
    -How I can get from that train station in Valencia, or from another bus/train station nearby, to the Valencia bioparc? Is there a metro in Valencia?

Thank you in advance,

Last edited: 22 Mar 2017
  7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If no one answers your questions about transport, you may find an answer at TripAdvisor.com. I found out there exactly which bus and train stops to use on my recent Austria trip (to get from Salzburg to Hallstatt).

8. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Nikola,

I recommend using trainline.eu to plan your trip between the two cities. Don't wait to book on the day itself, since fares will go up dramatically the closer you get to your trip.

9. Nikola Chavkosk

Thank you Arizona Docent and CGSwans,

10. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

We are visiting Valencia in May and plan on visiting the Oceanografic and Bioparc.

Bipoarc is easy to reach from the metro, it's at Nou d'Octubre. Oceanografic is not as easy on the metro as the closest is Alameda, but will then be a bus ride or 30 minute walk. As it looks so beautiful we're going to go with the walk (unless you find a better way!) :)

11. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I found this helpful...

Attached Files:

12. Nikola Chavkosk

I have just, booked a ticket Barcelona-Valencia, with bus (because it was cheaper than with train), at 18.25 euros via GoEuro. The bus is leaving from Barcelona Nord (North) bus station, the travel lasts 4.25 h (one hour longer than by train). :)

13. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I'm in Valencia at the minute and going to the Oceanografic tomorrow (Friday), because it was forec\st to be a cloudy or wet day (I'm assuming it's all indoors, but now I see that the Dolphinarium is outdoor)
    The walk from Alameda is quite pleasant, but might be a bit nicer by May. I walked the full length of the parkway between Bioparc and Oceanografic yesterday. I was really happy with the zoo and might go again next week.

Can someone clear up the make up of the Leopard group please :) I initially saw two orange leopards, which I assumed were and adult male and female. Later, the slightly smaller one wasn't around, but a paunchy black one was.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2017
    migdog likes this.
  14. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They have an interesting collection of species, but some of the enclosures are objectively subpar for the specimens kept within. I expect Nikola to write lengthy treatises afterwards about their shortcomings and how he would do otherwise in his zoo. ^^

15. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi littleRedPanda: The black leopard is an African female, and the others two are Sri Lankan couple. The black female is castrated.

16. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Keeper :)