Join our zoo community

Trip to Australia – June and July 2016

Discussion in 'Australia' started by LaughingDove, 28 May 2016.

1. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Of course, Perth is the gateway to Christmas Island!

:p

Hix

2. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

If by some fluke I end up in Christmas Island I'll let you know :p

I leave tomorrow, 24 hours from now I will be waiting in Dubai on transit.

3. GregOz

GregOz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd recommend both BatReach for representation of all of our flying foxes when I was there about 6 or so years ago

And peel zoo for some great natives and more Tasmanian Devils than I've seen at any other zoo

4. LaughingDove

I'm in Perth now and landed about two hours ago, I should get my first bit of Australian birding tomorrow once I've recovered from jet lag.

5. LaughingDove

I haven't really had the opportunity to write much on this thread, but just a quick update.
    For the last four days I have been doing lots of birding around Perth, Page 35: http://www.zoochat.com/65/2016-big-year-433540/index35.html and 36 of the big year thread have my list, and so far 78 of those species are from Perth.
    I plan to go spotlighting later tonight so hopefully I will get something to add to my mammal list in addition to the Western Grey Kangaroos and Southern Brown Bandicoot that I already have, and tomorrow morning I will be doing some more birding before my flight to Brisbane which is tomorrow evening.
    The itinerary that I put in the original post hasn't changed, except a Wait-a-while night tour has been booked for the afternoon and evening/night of the 21st on our first day in Cairns.

6. LaughingDove

I've just realised I will probably have a bit of extra time in Gold Coast so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions of what to do.
    Planned visits are to David Fleay Wildlfe Park and Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, but are there any other zoos that are worth visiting? I see there is Sea World Gold Coast and Dreamworld but are either of these worth a visit? Also is there anywhere worth visiting for birding? The Botanic Gardens?
    And one last question is how long approximately is needed to thoroughly do David Fleay and Currumbin?
    Thanks!

7. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

If you are there and have the chance to visit, I would definitely try and do both Sea World and Dreamworld. Sea World has some surprisingly good outdoor aquaria I think plus polar bears, while Dreamworld has a solid native collection plus the tigers. Both are full day attractions, Sea World is likely easier to get to, but Dreamworld has better rides.

Haven't been to David Fleay, but Currumbin is a big enough place that you could spend most of a day there, especially if you see the shows too.

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

worth noting that the Sea World has an Australian humpback dolphin which is probably the only one in captivity.

9. LaughingDove

We will pretty much have three full days in Gold Coast because our flight lands in Brisbane at 5 in the morning, the plan is to have breakfast in the airport then get the sky train down to Gold Coast so we will have all of that day, as well as the next day and the day after.
    So I will probably have the opportunity to visit three places, the first two days have a low chance of rain and the third day has a 50% chance of rain so it might be better to do somewhere with some more indoor stuff?

Which do you think is better of Dreamworld and Sea World? I am not really interested in the theme park/rides side of things.

10. LaughingDove

I've just looked at the prices for both Dreamworld and Sea World and they seem very expensive?
    Worth the price do you think?

11. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I think they are worth the price, but I do enjoy the rides. The Gold Coast is expensive, every thing is tourist dollars, so even Currumbin is $49 per adult which is a lot more than your typical Aussie wildlife park. Note that Currumbin has a sale on, with $20 tickets if bought before 24 June and used before 30 June.

If you have to pick one, probably go for Sea World. Its location is easier to get to (and back from if you aren't staying long) and it's likely got more species you haven't previously seen (although not many overall).

12. LaughingDove

Thanks for all of the information, I'll bear it in mind and work something out, it may just depend on outside factors like the weather and transport delays etc. as to whether we fit in anything more than Currumbin and David Fleay. (also I've just remembered tomorrow is Sunday so stuff will be busy).

Any good birding sites in and around Gold Coast?

13. Chlidonias

you could go to Fraser Island and find some dingos?

14. Chlidonias

15. LaughingDove

Thank you very much for pointing out that sale at Currumbin zooboy!
    You've just saved me $58!

16. LaughingDove

I don't think I will make it to Fraser Island but I'm sure I will make it to some of those bird places, thanks.

17. LaughingDove

I'm still wondering how long it would take to do David Fleay? Anyone been?
    The current plan is to David Fleay tomorrow (since we land in Brisbane at 5 AM we will have pretty much the whole day), then Currumbin and then we have one more day which will probably be birding rather than either Dreamworld or Sea World. I suspect those will have to wait for the next trip.

18. Hix

Haven't been to David Fleays for about six years but I think you could easily do it in a couple of hours. It's not that big.
    http://www.zoochat.com/24/fleays-impressions-162362/

Currumbin is much larger and will take at least half a day, longer if you want to take in the shows, or try the Tree-top Challenge (which can take a couple of hours or more itself). I'd leave the whole day for this one.

Haven't been to Dreamworld but stayed at SeaWorld Nara resort and visited SeaWorld next door. Lots of rides which I wasn't interested in. Polar Bears, Dolphins, Fur Seals & Sea Lions, and now has penguins too. And apart from some rehab birds the rest was aquaria - although a pretty decent reef-and-shark tank. Also opportunities to swim with seals and dolphins (for a hefty additional fee, of course).

Hix

19. LaughingDove

Thanks for that Hix.

Just a quick update because I'm bored:
    Currently on the train from Brisbane airport to Gold Coast. Although we can't check in we plan to drop off our bags in our accommodation then have breakfast and after that we will probably head to David Fleay's and since it's 6:30 AM currently, we should be able to get to Fleay's before midday even with the bus ride that's just over an hour.
    If we have time after David Fleay's we will probably do some birding and have an early night since we didn't sleep brilliantly on the plane.
    Tomorrow will be Currumbin + probably some birding in the afternoon leaving one further day not yet completely decided, though it may be a rainy day.

20. Hix

Where are you staying on the Gold Coast?

Hix