Join our zoo community

Trip to Dudley Zoo and Birmingham Wildlife Conservation Park

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Crowthorne, 21 Jun 2019.

1. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

If you were there on the same day as my school visit there, I am sorry! My school were the well-behaved ones ;) I was very tempted to try and get the coach to drop us off at the Birmingham Wildlife Conservation Centre instead, but sadly no luck.

Crowthorne likes this.
  2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

And the faggots there are unbelievable!

(Please note non-locals that faggots are also a Black Country meatball)

Last edited: 13 Jul 2019
    Brum likes this.
  3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You've ruined it, I bet all the Americans were like "You can't say that on a family-friendly forum!" :eek::D

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I really enjoyed your write ups. Birmingham Wildlife Conservation Centre has been on my list for a while so I really must get a date in the diary to visit it. Sorry your visit to Dudley clashed with one of their toddler days - I made the same mistake a couple of years ago but, fortunately, I've been visiting for so many years that I know all the paths and took a back to front route that kept me away from the screaming hordes!!

Crowthorne likes this.
  5. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My heart sank when I read you'd inadvertently visited on an under 5s day; it must have been an infuriating visit. I've been lucky to avoid them so far, but I've heard they make it hell on Earth for the regular visiting public, let alone things like the birds of prey display not running (although with all the screaming kids about this was probably to the benefit of the birds). Apparently these under 5s days are held over two consecutive days, around this time of year, once a year, but the problem is that the zoo barely seems to advertise them (or warn people) on their own website or social media pages; probably because it would put so many regular visitors off.

I agree with all your comments in your review...

Thankfully they are on track with fundraising for the new orang enclosure and work should start in Winter 2020.

I have never been very comfortable with the giraffe paddock or the house. There is lots of room behind the current house to extend the paddock and build a new larger house. However, they'd have to overcome so many restrictions, not to mention all the protected mature trees, that I'd be surprised if it ever happens. It would be sad, but I wouldn't mind if giraffes left the collection and the space was used as a secondary tiger enclosure for example.

I also agree about the loos - the ones by the snow leopards, the ones in the Queen Mary café, and the ones by the flamingos are all tiny and in need of a refurb. It's only the ones by the lorikeets that I think are adequate.

I'm not sure why the snack kiosks weren't open - perhaps they needed staff elsewhere on site because of the huge numbers of people?

The zoo has two main food outlets: the Queen Mary café and the fast food bar by the entrance. I've never ordered at the Queen Mary because I refuse to pay those prices, but the quality does look ok. However, I have eaten at the fast food bar in the past and it wasn't good at all.

I should mention that the zoo is investing in visitor facilities, as they will hopefully soon be building a huge new play barn which will include new toilets, children's play equipment, and eating area. Planning and Building Control Documents

6. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

Every time I visit, I eat at the Queen Mary Cafe, and really like it. And the mint hot chocolate in winter is just amazing!