Join our zoo community

Tropical World Tropical World 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Macaw16, 3 Apr 2015.

1. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member

I visited Tropical World today, so I decided to update people on it. I will do it in sections. Please note: I didn't note down what species were where, I will try to remember what was what. I will also use the names they use as well.

Arriving/ Café
    When we arrived there was a very long queue, but after a long sit in the café the queue had died down a bit. We arrived about quarter past three and started queueing at 4pm, the queue was quieter than.
    The café has changed mainly by a glass fronted extension. The existing part hasn't changed much but it doesn't have such a hideous decorations anymore.
    The shop is also similar but they have some new toilets.

Invertebrates and Butterfly house (also known as 'The Swamp')
    There are now less Invertebrates and the mice are gone. There are now two species of frog, a few Spiders (three?), Cockroaches (labeled as Millipedes) and Tenrecs (only saw one; can't remember the species).
    The Butterfly house hasn't changed much; I didn't see many butterflies, but there was quite a few chrysalises in the display case (which is new). I suspect they haven't got a delivery recently. There were a lot of a Koi Carp in various ponds. In the crocodiles I only saw one More let's Crocodile when I seem to remember seeing more in the past, in their pool there was some unidentified small fish. The terrapins have moved into here from one of the bird houses.

Aquarium
    If you didn't know this was their main renovation. It has an Aztec theme throughout. As you come out of the Butterflies, you see two new tanks for Dart frogs (saw three species), and Emerald Tree Boa (all I saw though were flies!). Their is a new tank for Red-bellied Piranah and a few smaller fish, one containing some small fish (Tetras I think). They still have the large Amazon tank which contains most of the same fish but also some rays; it has been redone inside. In the centre is a Aztec type statue with a water fall which flows into a open top tank with Swordtail Fish and Axolotyl. They have tablet type things for finding out more on.
    In the separate room, it is now themed mainly around saltwater life. On one wall (left from the entrance) are tanks for; a species of Octopus (some black and white one; I didn't see it) and a unlabelled Starfish; in another tank was a coral reef, it contained live Coral, Polyps, Anemones, Hermit Crabs and several fish (including clown fish); in the final tank on this wall was one for a species of Seahorse (can't remember which) and unlabelled Corals and Hermit Crabs. On the far wall directly from the entrance is a large tank for Mudskippers and Pufferfish (in this tank their was also some unlabelled small fish). On the wall on the right from the entrance was tanks for Long-necked Turtle; one for various Roaches; and one for Chichlids.

First Bird House (Australasia?)
    This house hasn't changed except the Terrapins have moved. The current list of signed birds is; Red-crested Wood Partridge, Red-crested Turaco, Palawan Peacock Pheasant, Pied Imperial Pigeon, Green Imperial Pigeon, Maroon Breasted Crowned Pigeon, Emerald Dove, Sunbittern and Bleeding Heart Dove.

Reptiles
    The reptile area hasn't changed much, except I think they have redone most of the tanks. Of the top of my head (this isn't concise) they included, three species of Stick insect, Yellow Anaconda, Pancake Tortoise, Bearded Dragon, Indian Tortoise, Jamaican Boa, Leopard Gecko, Utilia Iguana, Panther Chameleons and a species of Python or Boa.
    Above the Amazon tank they have renovated and the Green Iguanas have gone (not labeled or shown anywhere). It is now home to two Cotton-top Tamarins. They where very active. Nets stop them from getting into the water (I think they are meant to be hard to see) but they seemed to enjoy playing on them! It isn't glass fronted anymore and is now just netted.

Second Bird Exhibit
    Nothing much has changed although they have redone the bridges. The current species list is; Scarlet Ibis, Sactred Ibis, Puna Ibis, Little Egret, White Faced Whistling Duck, Fulvous Whistling Duck, Victorian Crowned Pigeon (I think I saw these on the other bird exhibit), Green Imperial Pigeon, Emerald Dove, Rainbow Lorikeet, Yellow Backed Chattering Lorikeet, White Cheeked Turaco, Speckled Mouse Bird, Pekin Robin, Java Sparrow, White Rumped Shama and Red Crested Wood Partridge.

Desert
    In here nothing much had changed their was still exhibits for Leopard Tortoises and Meerkats (I saw a few babies), I think these are the wildest looking ones I have seen (not fat and not fluffy). The current bird list is, Violet Turaco, Von Der Deckens Hornbill, Emerald Dove, Java Sparrow, Zebar Finch, Gouldian Finch, St Helena Waxbill and Napoleon Weaver.

Nocturnal Area
    Nothing has changed really, Night monkeys, Sugar Gliders, Lorises, Jumping Rats, Jerboas, Mouse Lemurs and Armadillos (I think I saw them mating) are all still there (according to signs, although I didn't see them all). They still have Egyptian Fruit Bats and now have Seba's Short-tailed Bat (I don't think they had them before).

And Finally
    The old Lion Tamarin enclosures glass has been covered up and a notice says its being refurbished.

There are new species and directional signs throughout.

I would recommend a visit if your in the area but you should visit a bit later on in the day as it gets very busy.

If you have any questions just post them.

I will try to post some photos in the gallery later :cool:.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2015
  2. max

max Well-Known Member

I was in the area last week - the day after it reopened- and being midweek and term time it eas relatively quiete. As Macaw detailed, the aquarium has been the focus of the refurbishment and I'd recalled it being a dank area on my last visit (to be fair probably 6 yrs ago or more)now its more interactive with the touch screens and flip cards by the exhibits.
    I found the first bird house lacking birds to be honest, only picking out 4 during my idle rambling through the area. Much of the rest was as I remembered, though you could sense a refurb to some degree throughout.
    I was also a little disappointed with the crocodile exhibit as its viewed from an elevation through cargo netted screens -good for their privacy and I too only saw one.
    Have to agree with Macaw, worth a visit if in area, relatively cheap entry at £5 per adult though.

3. Macaw16

The first bird house has always lacked birds, and I doubt many people saw any birds in there without looking, I saw about four species.

4. Macaw16

Added photos to the gallery, I apologize about the quality.

5. Macaw16

Pied Imperial Pigeons and White-faced Whistling Ducks both nesting.

Last edited: 2 May 2015
  6. Macaw16

I had a short visit today and picked up on a couple of things:

- The vivariums at the entrance have had a re-shuffle. There are now two tarantula species on-show (previously more), a couple of amphibian species (Trachycephalus resinifictri and some other species which I can't remember), Scorpio maurus, Sphodromantis gastrica and Lesser Hedgehog Tenrecs (I counted eight). No more cockroaches and millipedes.

- Disappointingly the Meerkat enclosure is being re-done, which made the desert area a lot quieter :p.

- Several bird species have hatched, including White-rumped Shama (sign wasn't specific as to species).

- A young male Malagasy Jumping Rat has gone to Prague Zoo to be paired with a female (he left in May).

- The Grey Mouse Lemur has been sent to North Anston Butterfly House, to join two females.

- Lots of the fish in the aquarium have spawned.

- The Pygmy Slow Loris have moved to the former Mouse Lemur enclosure.

- There a couple of new species in the reptile area (see gallery), the Utila Iguanas are now in a pair (previously kept separately).

- I saw no axolotls, which in the past have been fairly easy to see; possibly no longer kept/ off-show. The signage was still present.

And finally they really need to contain their Butterflies better, as I saw one in one of the bird areas and a Dryas Julia in the wilds of Roundhay park (well outside of the entrance to Tropical World) :p.

Last edited: 27 Sep 2015