Join our zoo community

Tulsa Zoo Tulsa Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 15 Feb 2012.

Tags:
  1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

2. keith8404

keith8404 Well-Known Member

Just saw this posting. When the buildings reopen I will get out there and take some photos and report on the changes. I for one am a big fan of birds, so displaying more bird species is fine with me.

3. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

If you like lots of birds stay tuned. Your new bird curator is one of the best out there.

4. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

6. designingzoos

designingzoos Active Member

Worked with them on the Master Plan just finished early 2012. Could be a really great zoo if they get it funded. Stay tuned!!

7. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So did the November measure get passed by voters?

9. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. keith8404

I just posted some new photos from the Tulsa Zoo of renovations to Polar/Grizzly exhibit, signs announcing future renovations, and signs announcing March 16 opening of new Wild Life Trek in place of old North American Living Museum. I believe real movement forward for the Zoo is finally happening.

11. arcticwolf

arcticwolf Well-Known Member

The pictures you posted showed that naked mole rats and other exotic species were going to be in the new area. Does this mean that the Wild Life Trek is going to be exhibiting animals from around the world, or are they staying with the North American theme? If they are going to be focusing on animals from around the world, do you know why they're doing it? Was the North American exhibit not very popular? I remember reading that it was a good exhibit complex, so I don't understand why they would do that.

12. keith8404

I have not been able to find much info about the new exhibits, but based on the new animals listed on some of the posters, it's certain they are going away from only North American animals. The complex has always been quite popular, but was built in 1978 and was getting old and frayed. It consisted of four buildings, each focused on a particular region and habitat type. I suspect the decision was made to continue to highlight the habitat type in each building (Tundra, Deserts, Temperate Forests, and Swamps/Lowlands) but expand beyond just North America in an effort to widen the collection and introduce species (such as Naked Mole Rats, Sand Cats and Siberian Cranes) that Tulsa has not exhibited before. Based on photos on the Zoo's website it looks like they have definitely remodeled the spaces to have new exhibit configurations, but they also state they have preserved (but refreshed) favorites like the cave in the Forests building and the earthquake simulator in the Tundra building. I think it is a good move that will bring some fresh animals and exhibits to a zoo that has been stagnant for too long.

13. arcticwolf

arcticwolf Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply! Be sure to visit and get pictures when it opens!

14. keith8404

Video posted this week by Tulsa Zoo of Siberian Cranes, a species that will be in the new Wild Life Trek:
    Tulsa Zoo: Siberian Cranes Sneak Peek - YouTube
    I can't tell if the video was shot at Tulsa or elsewhere. It doesn't look like any of the areas that will make up the wildlife trek. If it was shot at Tulsa, it might be in a holding area different than the actual exhibit area, possibly in the enclosure behind the old Conservation Center that has been used in the past as a walk-though aviary for small psittacines and for butterflies (at different times).

15. keith8404

Najed Mole Rats - Sneak Peek Video

Tulsa Zoo has posted a new "Sneal Peek" video for another species new to the zoo that will be displayed in the Wild Life Trek when it opens in March. This one is for naked mole rats (Heterocephalus glaber) - Tulsa Zoo Naked Mole Rat Sneak Peek - YouTube

16. keith8404

Naked Mole Rats - Sneak Peek Video

Tulsa Zoo has posted a video for another species new to the zoo - naked mole rats (Heterocephalus glaber). They will be displayed in the Wild Life Trek when it opens in March. Tulsa Zoo Naked Mole Rat Sneak Peek - YouTube

17. keith8404

Another "sneak Peek" video has been posted by the Tulsa Zoo. The description released with the video says:

Get a behind the scenes look at the Robert J. LaFortune WildLIFE Trek and see how we filled our atrium with dozens of bird species. Starting March 16, 2013, you can spend some time in the atrium in "Life in the Desert" to enjoy finches, Cape Dove, Eastern Paradise Whydah, Egyptian Plover, Buff-crested Bustard, and many other beautiful birds, among other animals!

Tulsa Zoo Sneak Peek: Free-Flying Birds - YouTube

18. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

19. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Egyptian plovers ! Has been a long time ago when I saw those ! Do you know if the animals ( howmany ? ) are captive-bred ( where ? ) or wild-caught ?
    Which other collections in the US have this species and is it bred with any regularity and is there some kind of managed programm ( SSP ? ) for it ?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I'll ask the bird curator and get back to you.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.