Join our zoo community

Two new and very exciting papers on the thylacine! Read more: http://thylacoleo.prob

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Surroundx, 27 Sep 2014.

1. Surroundx

Surroundx Well-Known Member

Abstract

David Fleay's 1933 motion film footage of the last captive thylacine at the Beaumaris Zoo in Hobart was thought to be the only film record of this thylacine. The authors provide evidence to confirm that two earlier motion picture films, erroneously dated to 1928, also show the last captive specimen at the zoo.

Sleightholme, Stephen R. and Campbell, Cameron R. (2014). The earliest motion picture footage of the last captive thylacine? Australian Zoologist DOI: 10.7882/AZ.2014.021 [Abstract]

Abstract

The most comprehensive assessment of the breeding season of the thylacine was that undertaken by Eric Guiler of the University of Tasmania in 1961. Guiler based his study on a retrospective analysis of government bounty records. The authors contend that the bounty records contain inherent anomalies that undermine Guiler's findings, and argue that historical newspaper reports, together with museum and zoo records, provide better data to determine the natural boundaries of the breeding season of the thylacine.

Sleightholme, Stephen R. and Campbell, Cameron R. (2014). A retrospective review of the breeding season of the thylacine; Guiler revisited. Australian Zoologist DOI: 10.7882/AZ.2014.020 [Abstract]

2. Surroundx

Surroundx Well-Known Member

Can one of the moderators please delete this thread? There was some extra code in the title from another heading under which I posted this story on another thread, which I didn't notice. I've posted an amended version since, so this whole thread is now superfluous.