Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by labrat, 15 Jan 2015.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think the new Gibbon area will definately get built, the existing house has a lot of empty cages now and some Gibbons have been relocated temporarily elsewhere in the Zoo. I don't know if they will demolish the existing Gibbon house afterward, as it is very ugly. But then so is the awful ChimpRow/GreenMile area which has been kept and pressed it into new service as a Leopard enclosure.

2. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Unless they have changed the plans, the current Gibbon House, the Colobus House and the paddocks behind them will all have to be demolished before they can build the new Gibbon House on the cleared site.

Alan

3. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Most of those structures are well over forty years old, so due for replacement anyway.

I really would like to see Twycross build up some of its primate groups, and io retain (and ideally augment ) its diversity. It has never held Drill, Mandrill, baboons, Gelada, mangabeys, or (too all intents and purposes) macaques.

It would be wonderful to think of the site as being an English Appenheul. Then you look at the locations. The latter sits in the middle of a beautiful natural forest. Twycross may do so in eighty years' time, if the National Forest takes off, but at present it sits squarely in the middle of some pretty unremarkable farmland.

Many people here get quite worked up about Twycross' founders' actions. Personally, I think that having decided to concentrate on primates, Molly Badham is to be most seriously faulted for her inaction: she didn't plant enough trees.

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

When one considers the fact that certain species of macaque and baboon are extremely commonplace in captivity, it is quite an omission that the "World Primate Centre" lacks any representation of these groups - it would be very easy to get hold of Sulawesi Macaque and Sacred Baboon, for instance.

Overall, I think the site cannot really afford the space that a good Drill, Mandrill or Gelada exhibit would entail, but the other groups you cite certainly should be represented.

5. Pertinax

That explains why the Gibbon House is being emptied of its inhabitants then. There is a notice saying many of the cages are empty, but not why.

6. Pertinax

I think they will just continue with the species they have, occassionally adding something new if it becomes available maybe.

Regarding larger Baboons and other missing species- if the Chimpanzee complex ever gets built, the vacated houses would suit large monkeys like Baboons, Mandrills and Mangabeys well. Possibly they would obtain new species then, in order to fill those. Twycross nowadays is full of 'recycled' enclosures like that.

I would also like to see the existing species arranged more correctly in geographical context e.g. the Guenons in one house, the Langurs in another- at present they are about as mixed up as they could be.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2015
  7. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

It must have been, my friend was there on Wednesday and they were moved then.

Flynn is a fully intact male - he's a big skinny(ish) lad. He blows raspberries a lot. And likes people - especially old ladies like my mum :)

8. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I do not see any mention of "World Primate Centre" on their website now , perhaps they have ( sensibly I would say ) decided to stop using this .

The numbers of colobus , spectacled and Javan langurs have all dropped by a lot in recent years .

9. Pertinax

I can remember a large, free-breeding group of Colobus in the past, and a signboard showing how many they had bred. I guess they will soon be gone, same with the Javan Langurs perhaps. The Spectacled/Dusky ones are in a parlous state too if there are now only three adults+baby, but I hope they will be able to continue with these.

Yes, it looks like they have now dropped the 'World Primate Centre' tag. Better without IMO, as Twycross has always been a generalised Zoo, despite the large number of primates.

10. Pertinax

Thanks. I think he was interacting with people when I was there. Pity I missed the move day of the other group, but they might have closed the House for a while too.

Re the Flynn group, if the additional females are added to this it will now contain 12 or 13(?) chimps, but only two males(Flynn & Jomar). I've noticed that none of the other moves they have made in the past months have involved adding new males to the two existing larger groups, at least so far. Perhaps they won't do that that under the current housing regime.

After these introductions are completed, I presume the Chimps will be held as follows;

Old Gorilla House;

One side- 2 males 10 or 11 females. (unless the extra females go in with the three males on the other side?)
    2nd side. 3 males (including the two bald ones.)

Chimp colony building;

One side. 2 males, 3 females.
    2nd side. 3 males.

Original Gorilla House; none?

This gives a total of 23 or 24 Chimps by my reckoning.

11. Pertinax

It seems the 'World Primate Centre' logo has been replaced. It was a self-styled title(or claim) and possibly they had come to feel it was misleading too- but in a different way to how some Zoochatters saw it,;)- in so much as it may have given the impression to some would-be visitors that it was only Primates and nothing else there to see. In their 'about us' section they still describe themselves as a 'renowned Primate Centre' or similar.

Last edited: 14 Feb 2015
  12. Animal Friendly

Animal Friendly Well-Known Member

Flynn was one of Miss Badham's favourite chimps, he was very attached to her.

13. Pertinax

I see the new Logo advertises not only 'Zoo & Aquarium( aquarium?:confused:)but also Sports and Activities and 'Shopping' (retail therapy;)) An indication perhaps of why they dropped the Primate Centre tag in favour of something with wider visitor appeal.

14. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

'Zoo & Aquarium' is a Facebook classification, so they've just chosen those categories to be shown in.

15. Jane Doe

Jane Doe Well-Known Member

Hi This is what I was told
    He has an enlarged air sac on his throat, not a problem to him just fills with air and then deflates. Been checked over numerous of times

16. Pertinax

I wasn't suggesting he was suffering but thankyou for the explanation. Gorillas and Orangs sometimes suffer from a similar condition though I've not seen it in a Chimp before..

17. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sammy at Monkey World also has this.

18. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know when the giraffe enclosure is currently being advertised to open? I have looked on their website and on here, but can't find much about it.

19. Pertinax

A few weeks ago I was told by a workman there 'in three weeks' but it still looked way off completion at that time. I would hazard a guess at a target of Easter timefor the school holidays, but if its not being advertised yet, they may not be sure they can reach it.

20. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks, I may delay my annual visit for a couple of months then.