Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2016 #1

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by stulch, 29 Dec 2015.

1. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Exactly what I was thinking. Likely Danny and Peter would form a coalition against Jambo and Mongo's coalition, eventually integrating in as high-ranking males. Samantha I would assume would get on with high-ranking females like Lottie and Holly may like being put back in with her mother Choppers? William and Tommy I think would get on with the other males and some of the other females.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Regarding potential unification of the Chimps. Its worth remembering that only a couple of years ago none of the group of 15 were living in units of more than three either, yet look what's already been achieved with them now- with admittedly just one or two possibly stress-related losses along the way. So I think adding the other two smaller units from the other building is entirely possible. Exactly how it would pan out as far as them making new 'friends and allies' and building new relationships would only become evident at that time I think.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2016
  3. Pertinax

The tunnels will allow them to use the older house as auxillary housing. It would also facilitate introduction of newcomers, living in the old house, to the main group in the new enclosure. I wouldn't expect them to attempt adding anymore to the main group until this building is done however.

4. Pertinax

I cannot see them ever letting the Orangutans go either. Their 'four species of Great Apes' claim is still important publicity for them, even after dropping the 'World Primate Centre' tag.

IMO the current housing probably still doesn't really do them justice. As is sometimes commented, providing 'A grade' housing for Orangs, particularly the less sociable and more inactive Borneans, is never easy or cheap. I suspect they will just stay with what they have for now, for some years to come.

5. canaryboy2

canaryboy2 Active Member

It's a shame they won't let them go, despite improvements in their enclosure, it's still not great and it seems unsustainable to keep them in the collection. I don't know if the all 4 great apes in the UK are a great sale point to the average Joe.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2016
  6. ShonenJake13

You'd be surprised! :) it's actually very good to see people learn about the bonobo, and the differences between each ape. Which is one of the reasons why Twycross won't relinquish their orangs! I do agree that they need to build a better enclosure for them.

7. ShonenJake13

Completely agree, this is likely why they're doing it, and if they ever get new western chimps to breed (which will likely happen due to Coco, Choppers and Noddy being too old to breed now) it will be good for them to both have outdoor access until they're fully integrated.

8. Pertinax

I don't either but the Zoo obviously think it is.

9. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Whilst they lack any headline big cats, I think they have to go with whatever angle they can to sell the place. So I can't see any of the big four going until we at least see Lions return to the zoo, which I don't think will happen anytime soon.

10. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Off course it is, the average joe does not know there are 5 great apes and therefore will be curious to see these 4 great apes ;)

11. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Now the accommodation of the chimps has improved immensely I would say the bonobo accommodation is not much, if at all better than the orang-utans. One unexciting typically Twycross circa 1970 outside enclosure for the two groups. At least it looks a bit less like they are living in a ladies loo indoors than it did a few years ago but I would love to see bonobos in the UK exhibited as they deserve. Not really a jewel in the Twycross crown at the moment.

12. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Err really? 'Look at the monkey, oh, he's got a baby!'

13. Pertinax

IMO while the Chimp social organisation is much better now, their accomodation, while a distinct step forward on previously, is still not ideal - that will only be rectified if and when this new house gets built.

Have to agree about the Bonobos also. IMO of all their Apes only the Gorilla accomodation is functionally suitable for the current small group, and that is only because its more modern than the other houses- its no more attractive.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2016