Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2016 #1

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by stulch, 29 Dec 2015.

1. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Also are their names given at the zoo?

2. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There were signs with the name of the animal and there date of birth when I went in August.

3. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think the new male's name is it's Kibale <gratuitous mention> like the forest in Uganda where I trekked with wild chimps ;)

4. OrangePerson

Mwekundu sounds like a bonobo name, certainly not one of the chimps.

Are we definitely sure there are 21? Pertinax only said 'around 21'

5. OrangePerson

I remembered - Victoria :)

6. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

That's it! Sorry Victoria.

Mkendu (sorry about spelling) was Tuli's mum. She passed away a few years, before all the moves. Rosie moved in with Benji and tuli after that.

7. ShonenJake13

Well an article from their website said 25 in October 2014, and since then three have died if I'm not mistaken (Benji, Kip and Jolly) but Kibali has arrived...so I would say 21-23 at the moment.

In any case I can check when I go this Sunday :)

8. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

21, definitely not 23.

9. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I noticed on a photography forum that I used to frequent, a member was asking if the "depressed" hyena was still there, locked in it's "small hot building."
    I know there were initially 2 sisters, but one was moved(?) and I think there is some question of Luca's future in the plans of the redevelopment, so I hoped someone here could shed some light on it.
    When did the sister (Lexi?) get moved? When I made my first visit since childhood in 2012, I think there were still 2 there? I do find the sight of Luca quite saddening, but is it right that Striped Arabian Hyena do not always exist in packs and are often quite content on their own in the wild?

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

striped hyaenas aren't pack animals like spotted hyaenas, in the wild they usually live either alone or in pairs.

11. littleRedPanda

Thanks, that's what I thought. I couldn't contribute that to the photogrpahy forum as I'm no longer a member, but it looked like some others are unaware of the difference.
    And sorry for dropping the 'a' from hyaena :D

12. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the spellings of hyaena and hyena are personal preferences, but hyena is the most common form now (to my chagrin). It simply looks wrong to me if it is doesn't have the first a though.

13. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

When they first got the species Twycross was offered 1.1 but the then Director decided they would just keep 0.2,as they wouldn't fight as they were sisters!!!Last I heard was that the animal had been removed from the surplus list,and was staying at Twycross whether this means they have been offered a male to go with her I have no idea!

14. littleRedPanda

Thanks zoogiraffe. I might pop in myself this week and ask.
    Hopefully, i'll pick a day when the group of younger Bonobo are out. I'm sure i've seen them changed around within opening times, but having missed them last 2 visits, I asked and was told they didn't. If that's right, the youngsters should be out tomorrow (Sunday).

15. ShonenJake13

I'm going tomorrow and hope to see both :)

16. littleRedPanda

I hope you got in. Facebook is full of unhappy potential visitor comments due to the queues; the car parks were far from finished when I went 2 weeks ago.

17. ShonenJake13

You're telling me! Insane queues, and the zoo clearly hadn't budgeted for that many visitors; food was running out towards the end of the day!! People were also right about the mud, and some of the enclosures were beyond prehistoric...

That being said...I had a really really amazing day. Saw all 43 of the great apes at Twycross...and you may be wondering why I say 43. That is because bonobo Kianga has had a baby! Couldn't find a keeper to find out more, but it seemed only a few days old, and hasn't been officially announced yet. Very exciting to see :)

The Gibbon Forest was fantastic too, just a shame that none of them were allowed outside. Also from what I could see one male siamang is living next door to the crowned lemurs still; hope he's being transferred as really didn't have enough room compared to the new house...

Bush dog puppies were adorable, and yes to whoever asked I could only see one striped hyena.

Saw the crowned guenon and Lowe's guenons Dave! Loved them, very pretty species. Lots of other species I had never seen before too (including tufted deer, the striped hyena and some of the other monkey species, not to mention the pileated gibbons!!)

Chimp Eden will apparently have the bigger group and this lot's inside has been shut off from the public as it needed interior building works and since the new chimp pad is next they would rather build that than waste money refurbishing something that would have to be knocked down again not long after! Apparently Danny, William, Tommy, Peter, Holly and Samantha will either be attempted to be introduced to Jambo and Mongo's group, or they will be moved from Chimp Complex to where the group of 15 are now. (all of this from a chimp keeper so reliable in my opinion)

Mongo has an enlarged throat pouch, which this same chimp keeper said they are closely monitoring but as it doesn't seem to be affecting him and it would cause him more stress to have to sedate him every time to let air out they are leaving it for now.

I did have a fantastic day, and as a primate (especially ape) lover I will 100% be back!

18. ShonenJake13

Also, does anyone know the group of 15's birth years? The indoors was locked up so couldn't get in and see them (did manage to identify them all though :) )

EDIT: I have found Jambo, Flynn, Kibali, Lottie, Victoria, Coco, Choppers, Genet and Tuli's birth years but I'm still missing Mongo, Jomar, Tojo, Rosie, Noddy and Josie's.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2016
  19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Last edited: 7 Mar 2016
  20. OrangePerson

Makes financial sense but there's going to be a lot of people upset, that's quite a long time to not be able to see this group unless they are outside :eek: