Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2016 #1

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by stulch, 29 Dec 2015.

1. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think Maringa is one who is not good with her, also possibly Malaika's mum.

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I don't know if the adult Bonobo swap at all, but the youngsters always seem to be in the same group, apart from Malaika who never seems to have a playmate :(

Anyway, I went today and spent a couple of hours looking for the newborn Bonobo. Mum was keeping secure and didn't like me pointing my camera towards it.
    Also overheard that the Hyena is still on the surplus list and that they're hoping to find her a new home, which is contrary to what someone else here was told.

3. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Shame you didn't spot the new bonobo baby :(

And Diatou is Malaika's mother, and I'm quite certain she was Lopori's 'adoptive mother' for a while...in any case I reckon Keke and Kakowet are switched from time to time (the former to impregnate Cheka, Kianga and Banya, and the latter to impregnate Diatou), and they really should put Banya and Mokonzi, or Cheka and her sons in with Diatou and Malaika, to allow Malaika some kids of her own age to play with :)

4. littleRedPanda

Oh, I did see it, just not for the first couple of hours :) I kept giving way to groups of school kids, probably at the wrong time :rolleyes:
    It was their turn out today, but too cold, so only took advantage of it for a couple of short spells.

5. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Apology from Twycross:

Dear all, we are very sorry for the upset caused on Sunday 6th March with the delays due to the volume of traffic. Once it was evident that we would not be able to admit everyone, updates were posted on Facebook, but we realise this was too late for people in the queue. The subsequent lack of communication was due to all our staff being out on the ground trying to help people get in. Thank you so much to all those being supportive and patient, we are doing all we can to improve the car parks to improve efficiency going forward and really hope you will continue to visit us to see these improvements

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I really really would not hope the Javan langurs would be on phase out! What is the current size of the group?

Also: any info on the group of dusky langurs would be appreciated!

I would advocate a new langur house along / close by the new Gibbon Forest! in all fairness.

7. ShonenJake13

I could only see two Javan langurs; a black and a rufous individual.

And the dusky langurs were four that I could see, three adults and a child.

8. littleRedPanda

News of the new Bonobo

https://www.facebook.com/ukzooguide/posts/1085744768114544

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Javans- that sounds like the same two I saw a year ago- their last ones I believe. Definately heard talk of them being phased out.

Duskies- I think I saw five- male, three females and there was a young one being handraised(?) in a small pen within the enclosure. Maybe this one is now in the group and an older one or two have died this year, but another has been born?

10. ShonenJake13

I think the young one is the same one you are thinking of, it was no longer orange.

And there may have been five, but I could only see three adults sitting indoors with the youngster. One was definitely a male.

11. ShonenJake13

And another male born into the group eh? Good to read that Cheka intervened with Kianga :)

12. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Lemur walk through update:

We have a new species in lemur walk through! You can now walk among the red-ruffed lemurs who have been introduced in with the ring-tailed lemurs for the first time.

13. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

There was definitely youngster 'missing' or just hard to spot there was a young one similar age to the one being hand reared but last time I was there I could only locate one. No idea which one it is though

14. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Once the entire complex is complete, and the Bonobo's, Gorillas and Orang-utans are in their with the chimps, I believe the plan is for it to be called 'Kingdom of the Apes'

15. James Barber

James Barber Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was on the Twycross website the other day and noticed that they have a brand new zoo map for 2016. I quite like it myself.

I hope "Kingdom of the Ape" does become real.

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would be confident that the working title will change once all great apes are rehoused into the new facility.

17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

March 2015 Press release states 'Chimpanzee Eden' will be the first phase of a planned 'Cognitive Centre' for all their Great Apes. Maybe it will be called that when completed.

18. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

'Cognitive Centre' reminds me of the anatomy of the brain. Might it at be at the top end of 'Spinal Avenue' linking the houses of the different vertebrates? I hope I'll be able to visit 'The Hippocampus', where a range of seahorse species will be displayed :)
    I know I'm getting grumpier as I get older, but I'm sure that zoos really are giving features sillier and sillier names each year.

Alan

19. AdvoCat

AdvoCat Well-Known Member

20. AdvoCat

AdvoCat Well-Known Member