Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2012 #1

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 27 Jan 2012.

1. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

Oh I really hope oumbie doesn't go. That would be so sad. From what I've seen Asante had less issue with him that she does with ozala. When she was in with boulas Biddy seemed to have a problem with her too.

I was there on Sunday and she was happy on the floor with oumbie inside but when ozala came in she shot back off the ground again. It's must be such a dilemma for them as she is always the square peg.

2. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nice addition, though not as nice as Aardwolf -I've always liked that row of enclosures.

3. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As anyone here seen them recently as I've seen no activity in the enclosure (admittedly I didn't have a great view:)) during my last two visits and prior to that they were always very active?

4. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

I'm going on Sunday so I'll have a wander over And see if I can see them

5. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Going on May 19th with the club we started anything interesting to look out for except the Kirk's Dik Dik and the wetlands area looks interesting

6. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

The tufted deer were very active last weekend, well worth a look.

7. Waddi

Waddi Well-Known Member

so, what's the most likely replacement male gorilla? an aspinall?

8. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

We could be very much jumping the gun over this as Twycross have not confirmed anything,and on the Longleat thread it was stated that the info might not be correct!!

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Agree. I think people just need to wait and see what will happen in this case- the information about all this has not come from any official source so far.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2012
  10. Pertinax

11. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

12. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm not saying i don't agree with you that some time in the not too distant future they should be demolished,but think in the shorter term these enclosures would provide better accomodation (inside particularly) than many of the monkey/gibbon cages. If the criteria you are applying to the green mile needing demolition were applied across the site,twycross would have very few primate enclosures left standing!

Last edited: 19 Apr 2012
  13. Pertinax

I was thinking chiefly of the outdoor enclosures, with the ugly prison-like heavy mesh and metal etc. designed for holding the powerful Chimps. I would like to see them razed to the ground a.s.a.p. but agree that with a bit of renovation the indoor areas would be okay for smaller primates, perhaps with new airier/more visitor friendly outside areas replacing the soon-to-be defunct ones?

I have no idea what the zoo plan regarding that whole area though. Anyone?

14. pipaluk

15. Pertinax

16. Pertinax

I was never aware Asante and Ozala had any differences, they have lived together a long time now and always look relaxed together IMO. However its possible both Ozala and Biddy have become 'possessive' of their respective males which might cause Asante to be pushed away. I would be surprised if Oumbie left now that he's bred with Ozala, though it could be a way of trying to improve Asante's lot, but it would be a game of chance whether another male would be any better with her.

17. pipaluk

Glad we seem to have come to a compromise on this,though what the zoo chooses to do is anyones guess, i just cant see the point in demolishing what would be decent indoor accomodation for smaller primates (including the square old chimp enclosures)when so many at the zoo only have ones fit for marmosets!

18. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I have heard too many plans been mentioned for that area over the last 5 years,none of which have ever seen any sign of seeing the light of day,the last one I heard was all that area and alot more would become a New Gorilla enclosure!!

19. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

I think it's been since Ozala lost Okanda that things have been different.

20. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

As a very regular visitor I truly believe that the sooner the green mile is gone the better. Inside is definitely not better that the monkey houses. The ceilings/roofs in Particular are in poor condition - leaking etc. The small monkey team have worked wonders to transform the indoor enclosures with I imagine only a small budget.