Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2013 #1

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 4 Jan 2013.

1. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are thinking of the correct one,it was the largest of all the primate houses,and if you had your back to the old sealion pool you would view where this house was.

2. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've only noticed parts of this area (the "corner" near the Coati/Bushdog & Longhouse entrance) water-logged, rather than flooded, on my most recent (2013) visits. This may be purely down to recent weather rather than an underlying issue given there's, similarly, fields where I live that have had large puddles lasting several weeks this year (& never before).

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Anyone know which houses these Primates were relocated too? Its quite a few monkeys to rehouse. And why did they deconstruct this House anyway?:confused:

4. Shorts

The house was deconstructing itself (i.e. falling to bits and probably beyond repair).

As for where the inhabitants went, some were moved within the zoo (Francois Langur to an ex-Siamang enclosure near (old) entrance/cafe area) and others transferred out of the zoo (I believe the Red-tailed Guenon went to the "Isle of Wight sanctuary"). Some were also possibly shifted off-show, though this is conjecture. Unfortunately I don't know specifics for all the inhabitants eventual whereabouts.

5. Pertinax

Yes, the Red-tailed Guenon went to the I.O.W sanctuary. It was quite a while ago now. (It was an ex-pet when it arrived at Twycross).

Anyone- Are the Dianas, Roloways, Crowned and/or Lowes Guenons still on show elsewhere in the Zoo now?

6. Shorts

Crowned Guenon was coupled up with a Lesser Spot-nosed Guenon in one corner enclosure of the primate house with the new outdoor extension added (the house where the Allen's Swamp monkeys used to be).

Can't recall seeing the Lowes or Roloways, think (though not certain) Diana Monkeys were in the "Langur House" (which doesn't have many langurs nowadays) in the enclosure where the Phayre's Langur used to be.

Sorry to be vague, my most recent visit was a short-ish one, focusing more on recent developments than the game of "musical cages".

7. Integrity

Integrity Well-Known Member

I understand that the langurs will be leaving Twycross, reason why they were not given the outside area

8. Pertinax

Which Langurs (species)?

9. Pertinax

No problem;)- at least I have established it is the House I thought it was that was demolished- i must have happened quite soon after my last visit as it was definately still there then. And it is this same area that had the word 'Chimpanzees' written over it on the map I saw.

10. Integrity

Integrity Well-Known Member

Javan Langurs to leave collection I believe

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Meaning not much in representatives of Asian langurs left, except for Francois'. Sad epitaph. I would hope they do include some more in future in a combined orang / gibbon setting .... tropical hall.

12. labrat

labrat Member

just been down today and the orangs were locked inside while several people with chainsaws were cutting down and cutting up all the outside equipment

thought this was only a couple of years old seem to remember a plaque about it being built by a regiment?

any ideas anyone?

13. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I heard that the orangs were locked in last weekend, although nothing was going on outside. I hope this means changes for the better for them.

14. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

Visited Twycross yesterday and there appears to be lots of redesigning going on in the Orang outside enclosure hence them being locked in. There were oodles of huge tree trunks present and it looked like the old strapping/fire hose bedding and frames were being removed. So a total revamp looks to be in order :)

15. josh_08

josh_08 Well-Known Member

Twycross Zoo Visit (28/4/13)

Visited today, only a few things to report;

- Spoke to an elephant keeper, who confirmed Noorjahan is 11 months pregnant. The AI was carried out before the move the PC.
    - The area that flooded by the bushdogs is now dried out, but has been fenced off. Within the zone is a information board with a deer image - No sign of any deer today though.
    - The Borneo longhouse was closed to public, so work is probably being done on the collapsed netting.
    - The aviaries down by the new lemur walkthrough have again been taken down as they had collapsed from bad weather.
    - The Orangutans were locked inside, work still going on outside.
    - Spent quite alot of time with the bonobo's where Banya was showing off her new baby, but she had him placed on the floor everytime i went over, didnt see her hold him once. Also during the talk, a keeper said their unsure of the father so a paternity test is going to be carried out. Lapori was still in her cage, thought she had joined the main group?
    - Didnt see the new amur leopard, only the male who was pacing up and down the side fence.
    - All the new exhibts look good, didn't see any lemurs in the walkthrough though and the tortoises were kept inside. (Didn't look for the dinosaurs as not really interested in them).
    - Again spent alot of time at the gorilla's, and ozala has started to place Lope on the ground and as he crawls back she backs away asif to teach/ encourage him to walk. Oumbie and Asante were took into the dens around 3 and wasn't let back out, so maybe there trying to get her used to being close to him as she usually stays the furthest she can. Biddy is looking old and still very patchy on her chest and back.

Think i've covered everything but will add if ive missed things out.

16. GillP

GillP Well-Known Member

I went yesterday for the first time in at least a year.

The orangs were still shut inside - one of the keepers said that their outside area is being updated as the tree trunks there previously had been found to be rotten and dangerous. She didn't know when the work would be finished though. Kibriah and Batu were the most active I've ever seen them - rolling around the floor together playing for ages in a tangle of hair and limbs - though she gave him a good slap a couple of times.

Was so pleased to see the new chimp groups - they all seemed very laid back and content together. Couldn't work out who was in the chimp house that's nearest to the old Green Mile though as the public now seem to be excluded from going inside there - can only view its exterior. The gorilla group also seemed far more relaxed now they're all together.

Loads of work seemed to be going on all over the place - I got quite disorientated trying to work out what had moved, what had been improved, what had been knocked down etc. The new signage looks professional and is obviously trying to create a more cohesive "brand" across the whole zoo ..... I do feel however, (and this is my pet gripe at zoos) that overall there now seems to be less[/I information posted up about each species. Personally, I also find it interesting to be given family information where possible about how animals are related to each other. There's none of that now, e.g. at the chimps.

Saw an absolute tw*t teasing the gibbons with a banana - surrounded by his knuckle dragging family (great example eh). Several of them were clinging to the wire with their arms stretched through trying to grab it (gibbons that is, not the family). I was about to confront him when thankfully a keeper tore a strip off him instead - I did add, loudly, that she "shouldn't have needed to say anything" and after he'd sloped off she said that it was the second time she'd had to speak to him. He must have been mid 40s - ridiculous.

There was some sort of "medical procedure" going on inside the gibbon house - we saw a dart gun go in, and lots of keepers. Later heard a huge gibbon commotion - right from the pets corner - and went back to see them all calling - pretty impressive to see so many with their throat sacs. I don't know if this is a normal occurence towards the end of the day - or whether they were reacting to what had happened inside maybe. I've never heard such a loud or prolonged display.

17. Pertinax

If you referring to the three(?) big tall treetrunks, they have been in there as far back as I can remember and were probably put in when the enclosure was opened. So maybe its not surprising they need replacing now. A good chance for Twycross to give them some really good climbing equipment?

'Family trees' are always interesting but its possible in the case of the Twycross chimps now, those groups are mainly comprised of animals that aren't related, so its not possible even if they did want to do it.

18. CambsVet

CambsVet Well-Known Member

Ive just seen on their facebook page that they no longer have the "Scottish wildcats" as they were both PTS due to old age.

I highly doubt either was pure (as I think has been discussed previously on here) but wonder if they will replace them with anything?

19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They could now put it to the test and possibly still benefit the combat to keep the Scottish wild cat pure-bred and distinguish more effectively those from the moggies ...

20. Pertinax

Last time I was there, there were three, so maybe one died/disappeared or went elsewhere earlier. I would say from their appearance that they were definately impure.