Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2014 #2

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 22 Jul 2014.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I guess they know their dates...I cannot remember when I first saw the Gorillas in their 'new' house but I think it would have been after the younger ones(Biddy & Eva) arrived, soon followed by the two males(Mamfe and Assumbo) from Jersey. They were born in 1973 so that date would fit pretty much.

2. Animal Friendly

Animal Friendly Well-Known Member

Yes I also think around 1973, the clue being the "chicken pattern" tiling on the interior walls, a style that was very popular around that time, as in the bathroom of the new house my parents bought that year.

3. Pertinax

Last edited: 1 Oct 2014
  4. Animal Friendly

5. Pertinax

I have just rechecked- M & A arrived from Jersey in late 1976, so at the yonger age of three years. I don't know where they kept the four younger Gorillas until the proper house was built- I don't think I visited during that period.

6. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have just been looking at the new plans. The giraffe house is a plain vanilla design for up to 5 giraffes.
    But the gibbon house is more interesting. There are 4 islands for the gibbons, each with an indoor enclosure and 3 off-show sleeping dens under the indoor public viewing area. There are also 10 vivariums in the centre of this public area. In the space between Islands 1 and 2, there is another island area labelled 'Species t.b.c.' which can be viewed from the indoor area and from a raised outdoor walkway, there is also space for indoor dens for this species on the lower level. I wonder what might be accommodated there.

Alan

Last edited: 2 Oct 2014
  7. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sifaka?? I would be there in a second for Sifaka!!

8. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The giraffe house site seems to be the area that was going to be used for an Asian carnivore set of exhibits.
    I take it the plan for the carnivores is now dead in the water.

9. Pertinax

If/when this happens it would presumably also mean a considerable reduction in the numbers( as opposed to species) that Twycross will keep as four islands, for presumably one pair + offspring on each, will only accomodate four pairs. Plus maybe one or two pairs left in the existing Gibbon house(s). I don't know how many Gibbons they currently have but its more than that I think.

Re the Giraffes-would the paddock be in the unused field behind the Elephants?( or is that not Zoo land?)

10. gentle lemur

The site plan for the new gibbon house shows that both the existing gibbon house and the colobus house beside it will be demolished, as will the hoofstock paddocks behind them: so I think you are correct, there will be significantly fewer animals held (whatever the mystery species might be).
    The giraffe paddock will be the strip of land along the western boundary of the zoo, on the pool side of the elephant paddock. I think kiang is right, this area was proposed as the site for an Asian carnivore exhibit. If there is a gap in trees at this corner of the zoo, unsuspecting motorists driving along the A444 may get a surprise when the giraffes are at the far end of their paddock.

Alan

11. Pertinax

Seems like the classic 'square block design' Twycross Monkey houses may gradually be disappearing now. I imagine these planned new Gibbon enclosures would house 4 different species, but of course only one pair/family of each. Presumably cheaper to build than new Chimp or Orang accomodation which IMO is actually more pressing, and the reason why this has been submitted now.

Giraffe (I couldn't access the plans)- so the house/barn would be at the Elephant house end of their paddock, which would be roughly alongside/parallel with the Elephant paddock?

12. gentle lemur

Yes, but the Napier Centre building is in between them.

Alan

13. Pertinax

Thanks.;) Interesting if they have Giraffe again so soon, but probably a sensible decision.

14. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. Jane Doe

Jane Doe Well-Known Member

They should never have left in the first place that was a very big mistake by Mrs Boardman's

16. leiclad20

leiclad20 Well-Known Member

Attached is the proposed site plan. It shows the new giraffe house and site of the gibbon complex. The former giraffe pen is now labelled zebra and oryx, and the paddock extends further east than before.

Attached Files:

17. Animal Friendly

Agreed, they should not have left although the house could have done with some refurbishment, at least when they return they will be living in a brand new house, it will, I am sure, make the visitors a lot happier to see them again as the departure of the giraffes was not to their satisfaction.

18. Animal Friendly

Judging by these plans the new gibbon exhibit is going to be quite large, even extending into the paddock area.

19. Pertinax

Even maximised I can't read some of the smaller print on the plan as it is rather faint. Is the new Gibbon area that outlined in red?

Losing the Giraffes was a bad decision IMO, its fairly obvious it was to others also as they are planned to return after such a short absence, making it appear even more pointless. They should have just kept them until a new house was built, but there we are, what's done is done. Good that they will have better/more spacious housing too as the other was admittedly outdated/insufficient. I also see the planned return of Giraffe as an important step in them not shedding yet more large species and now with Zebra and Nyala as well they are getting back into a decent range of larger ABC type species. Lions and/or Tiger should be next and then a mega-chimp complex to replace those three seperate 'subgroups', and they'd really be getting somewhere.

20. Animal Friendly

Certainly a better picture than what the case two years ago at this zoo when the giraffes departed, followed shortly after by a member of senior management! Agree a return of lions or tigers, or can I be greedy and say both, would be most beneficial for the visitor experience and enhance the mammal side of things even further, and as been stated recently on another thread it does not need to cost many millions of pounds, Yorkshire Wildlife Park's big cat facilities are very good they cost six figures not seven.