Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by labrat, 15 Jan 2015.

1. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Which means that the number of primate species kept in Twycross is now surpassed by Apenheul (36 vs. 35 not counting subspecies), although the proboscis monkey in Apenheul will also leave soon, but there will surely be a replacement...

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

That is one creature I always feel sad about being on it's own.

Bonobo baby is definitely a boy.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you know where to?

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Out of the UK - not certain where. But ZTL indicates Rostock had/have a lone female, so possibly there? Not many other options unless it went to a new holder...

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Visited Twycross today after quite a long break from visiting,have to say that I was more than presently surprised,by what I saw the new Giraffe House is an excellent set up,very well designed as very much need bachelor male housing so top marks for Twycross doing this as its much needed roll.
    Also the new Gibbon complex is starting to look very good photos will follow in due course,also worth noting they are not setting a date for opening they are going to open it when its ready,so atleast one place has learn't from Islands!!

Now the big shock was the re-built Orang House all I can say is its another job well done,was also interesting to see that Twycross have followed more or less to the letter what Dudley Zoo did,but it looks okay so credit to Twycross forhaving the balls for following the Dudley cheap and simple way of expanding a house that was not fit for purpose,and giving it a useful life extension.

Finally the zoo was busy and atlast seems to be progressing in the right direction long may this continue,as I for one will be very pleased to see Twycross becoming a top class collection again!

6. Pertinax

I'm all for them moving out the non-breeders and singleton species they can't usefully do anything with. Maybe the single Crowned and Lowe's will follow suit, perhaps finding themselves at a (IOW?) Monkey Sanctuary in due course.

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Having accompanied zoogiraffe on the aforementioned trip, all I have to add is that I felt the collection was *significantly* improved from the state of affairs when I first visited in December 2011.

It will be a shame when, as seems likely, the Crowned and Lowes Guenon follow the Lesser Spot-nosed Guenon in leaving the collection - another step in the rapid disappearance of guenons from European collections - but it will equally be another step towards Twycross becoming a great collection once again.

8. Pertinax

Agree. I'd rather see them with e.g two decent groups of Guenons e.g. De Brazza and Diana, than the postage stamp style with the odds and sods that don't/can't breed. Perhaps to be eventually replaced with e.g. a Mangabey and/or a Baboon species to make it more representative overall? Though I do wonder just how committed they still are nowadays to maintaining a very large/representative Primate collection over the more generalised 'zoo' concept. Dropping the 'World Primate Centre' tag could reflect that too. Either way I would support any continuing rationalisation- though they must be nearing the end of primate species that are obviously expendable.

9. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Apparently there were protests at the zoo by CAPS on Saturday.

10. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

I arrived at the zoo at 11am on Saturday,the time of the alleged incident that required the police to attend,but didn't have any trouble. I just put my window down and politely said no thanks to the flier they were handing out. Very surprised that despite how busy it was,that there were no queues to get in. The CAPS people didn't seam to be slowing things down or disrupting flow at all.

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I suspect the L'hoest Guenon might not remain, as they have only a single pair which has never bred to my knowledge. I think that there may be further losses in terms of callitrichids too.

12. Pertinax

Forgot about them. Actually they haven't had them that long- they sort of replaced the Hamlyn's Monkeys. But as this is a free-breeding species elsewhere e.g. Edinburgh, Colchester, if they aren't breeding then there may be some problem. I always think the close proximity of visitors in those indoor monkey houses at Twycross can't be very conducive to easily breeding more nervous species e.g. Guenons.

13. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

I went to the late night opening on Saturday. I arrived about 1:30 and there were about 3 police cars there watching the protesters who were on the verge outside. They weren't able to stop anyone going in or out. By the time I left at about 8:30 they had gone.

I really enjoyed the late opening the place was full but didn't feel like it at all. The weather was lovely so people stuck around till late.

The animals all seemed fine with it. Danny's chimp group were shut in as they were the ones who found it difficult to cope with. Had a 'chat' with them through the mesh door at the back and Danny and Tommy were in fine fettle.

Flynn's group were more puzzled than anything and wanted to go to sleep. The keeper turned into their lights off about 7:30 and they quickly bedded down.

The leopards were out and about, mainly snoozing in the cool evening.

The new male chimp has successfully met Genet and Coco and is currently in with Jambo. Off show though. Everything seems to be going well. I'm presuming that the whole group is in quarantine which seems a nicer way than isolating him for months.

14. Pertinax

Which building are they in?

15. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

The main chimp house between the gorillas and the elephants

16. Pertinax

Thanks. I half expected they might use the very oldest Gorilla house behind the mansion for him as the indoors there is offshow too, but no.

17. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They have made various attempts in recent years to provide more cover in those houses, presumably for the shyer monkeys.

18. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

I had thought they might do that too so I went down to check. There are mara in there now! Very strange to see. I'm presuming it's only temporary

19. canaryboy2

canaryboy2 Active Member

I was just wondering, and without saying this in bad taste, is Nathalie Evans still around. If so she surely must be in her nineties.

20. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I haven't heard that she has died,when I last spoke with somebody about her in March this year she was doing fine despite her very advanced years.