Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by labrat, 15 Jan 2015.

1. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

Visited today. I really enjoyed seeing the changes in the chimp groups. Everything seems to be very positive.

Danny was in with Wiliam and Peter was with his mum Samantha. No sign of the others so I think they all must have been in the bedrooms on the left. When friends visited last week, Danny and Tommy were in with William and Peter and kip was in with the girls.

In the large group, kibali (the new lad, who led one a really nice chimp) was in with jambo, mongo, coco and genet. All was very settled and was sticking close to alpha Jambo and they were grooming.

The rest of the group were all in the other side with smaller outside area. I don't think it will be too long before they are all mixed.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As they will presumably only want Kibali to breed I wonder how they will prevent any other entire males, including the two bald ones, from breeding. Maybe the others are vasectomised?:confused:

Last edited: 5 Oct 2015
  3. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know when the new gibbon complex is expected to open?

4. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When I contacted the zoo about a month back, they said they had no set date. When I visited about a month back, it looked no where ready. My advice would be to email the zoo, as they were fairly friendly and promt with their response to my email.

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No set dates, but it was mentioned in a local paper that it would likely be pushed back until the New Year....

6. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

The new gibbon complex looks amazing now. Really come on. From outside the building looks complete. There is signage up and a really nice pathway for the public leading into the house. Only had my phone so the pics aren't great but I'll put them in the gallery

7. stulch

stulch Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I took some on Tuesday, I've been a bit delayed adding them to the gallery but I've done it now.

8. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Anyone happen to know when the male bonobo Luo died? Son of Diatou and Jasongo, father of Mokonzi? I was unaware he'd passed away :( non-up to date sources I suppose

9. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Any indication on what the 5th, non primate enclosure might contain?

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great to hear the gibbon complex is nearing completion.

It will be a welcome and long overdue addition to the zoo and certainly some form of game changer for TWZ.

I assume the next project will be the new Chimp / Orang complex ...!
    Anyone have an idea on planning and timeframe for this).

11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think you will find the first 'phase' is just for the Chimps. I would expect to see a start being made on that this coming year 2016( he says hopefully...)