Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2016 #1

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by stulch, 29 Dec 2015.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Works fine for me

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Works for me too!

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

This has got to be a bitter and twisted ex-employee stirring trouble for the zoo,accidents and faults happen yes its sad but,sometimes these things happen!

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

No - different newspaper. Same story, however.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

weird, I don't know why I can't open the first link. My link works fine for me though.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It seems to be another much ado about ...! There are some vague accusations flying out the window which seem to be based more on interpretation than pure fact. But what do you expect from the MAIL!??? ;)

8. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Obviously, one should avoid reading 'below the line' if one values either sanity or respect for the human race. Nonetheless, I couldn't help myself, and did read some of the nonsense posted on the Mail website. My favourite comment was one that described the zoo as "iggnorant stupid people" (sic).

9. zoogiraffe

Don't believe everything you read!!This story was started without any PROOF by a bitter ex-member of staff,that believes Twycross was a better place back when the late Miss Badham and Miss Evans were still in charge,the sad fact is its a far better zoo now than back in those days,and I say that as somebody who knew the 2 of them and was privileged to speak to them and spend time with them on many occasions.

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Feb 2016
  10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Dear ZG, you know I do not. I hope others will not be swayed by its message - rather than saying substance or content, for it is not -. It is just sad that the Mail continues its baseless anti-zoo adage without providing any substance.

In the real man's world this would go by the name of slanderous tripe. :)

11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Were Kip and Jolly living in the same building? I thought Kip was in the Colony building and Jolly in the larger Gorilla House group?:confused:

12. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

No they had been in the same building for a long time. I don't know what the building used to be called, but it's the one near the bonobos and the cafe.

Also in there are Danny, Tommy, William, Samantha, Peter and holly. Though they are still in the process of being mixed as one group.

13. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

It's not often I find myself agreeing with you but I do this time - apart from the mans world bit.

14. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited today with my wife. My experience was pretty much identical to Little Red Panda. I think each island is about 100 feet by 25. Probably the smallest size that I find to be acceptable for a family group of active gibbons. In any case a big improvement on what they had before.

I last visited 12 months ago and was critical of the state of the footpaths and car parks and was pleased to see that work is well underway to deal with the mud and the puddles.

My wife who likes zoos (but not as much as me) said it was a very enjoyable visit and will be happy to visit again.

15. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Someone asked on Facebook if the Gibbons are free to venture out, but the response was that they are not just yet; need to get used to their new home first.

16. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The doors to the outside were clearly down. The moats were also a little bit frozen, I don't know if this is a factor in the decision making process.

The moats are a really good size, they would make a good otter habitat, there is plenty of land between it and the fence.

17. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wondered if this would be the mysterious "other" exhibit that was spoke about, especially considering the state of the current otter enclosure.

18. zoogiraffe

Nope that exhibit was to have been for Lowland Anoa,but it was dropped because a large area of the enclosure had to be used to give another fire escape out of the building,to comply with fire regulations!!!

19. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is the current enclosure THAT bad? It's not the best, but think I've seen worse!

20. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I too have seen far worse, but I just think that it's starting to look a bit tired, probably nothing a good clean and touch up wouldn't solve, i just know several families that visit zoos always like to take their kids straight to the otters as they are playful and usually active, so to me it makes sense to set a good impression and give the kids a way to remember it from other zoos.