Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2017 #1

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Giant Panda, 29 Jan 2017.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Or how about an African rhino or even a hippo species going in, being so close to the giraffe and zebra?

2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Speculation:
    This may have the effect of actually delaying Chimp Eden, as the zoo may feel the need to deliver a 'replacement' ABC species first.

I think there are several places that would happily take in a female herd. It might have been better for Twycross to convert to a bull facility.

pipaluk likes this.
  3. alfiethetortois

alfiethetortois Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sad to hear about Elephants, but agree it's best for the herd. Hope they go to Blackpool and that they start cracking on with the new Chimp enclosure soon

Does anyone know if lorikeet landing is back open yet?

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They really need Chimp Eden. The current house of the bigger group is getting very dilapitated indoors and is closed permanently to visitors. But yes, maybe rhinos or something could be brought in to replace Elephants. Its quite a big building.

5. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Good idea! Would the housing require much modification to hold a group of 3 bulls? If not, why not? Their display value would be just as good as the current herd of cows and it would be a positive benefit to the breeding programme. And it wouldn't delay the chimp project either.

pipaluk likes this.
  6. giant_anteater

giant_anteater Well-Known Member

If I was a betting man, I'd say that at least a portion of the enclosure will be attached to the existing giraffe paddock in order to create a savannah exhibit.

Will be interesting to see how big an effect this has on the zoo's visitor numbers. I've never been a huge fan of elephants in captivity (just a personal preference) but obviously they're an enormous draw card.

7. Pertinax

A lot of the posters on their FB in reaction to this news express disappointment, though a number accept it if its 'good for the Elephants'. Many also say its their favourite animal/main reason to visit, so yes they will lose a significant draw card in their departure.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2017
  8. Pertinax

They have never showed any intention to hold a male previously, presumably at least partly because of the cost of modifying/strengthening the house. It is a good idea but I would have thought they would have stated that aim (i.e. replacement with other elephants, rather than just them 'leaving') if that was indeed the plan. Will be interesting to see exactly what the plan for the building/enclosure is now.

9. Pertinax

Another interesting possible usage. That would still leave the large house and one part of the paddock free for something else. Rhinos? Chimp House?

10. Brownie

Brownie Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am surprised to hear this but I do think it is for the best for the herd. I visited in December and thought the house was rather small for the 4 of them, let alone when Tonzi was there too.
    I agree in that I think they will probably be moved to Blackpool when their new facility is complete. This would be great as they will have facilities for a Bull.
    Whilst I welcome this news for the elephants I think it will have a knock on effect on zoo visitors to Twycross and am interested to hear their plans for the area.

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Time will tell what the footpath costing a million quid will lead to in the future...... :p

12. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'll reserve my judgement for the time being on whether this is a sensible move for the zoo. I accept it may turn out better for the elephants, but I can see nothing positive for Twycross (or any other zoo) to be losing species, especially a major draw like elephants.

Unlike other zoos that have given up on elephants in the last 20 years or so, it isn't due to an inadequate enclosure for the animals held. There is nothing really wrong with the enclosure(s), it seems the lack of a bull (or facility for one) is the only real issue.

alfiethetortois and Tim May like this.
  13. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This decision is long overdue. Keeping so many females in prime breeding age without a bull is an outdated practise and bad for the individuals and the zoo population alike. I never understood their refusal to build a (simple) bull facility and take in their own breeding bull - there was surely enough space for an expansion of the elephant area before the giraffe enclosure was build.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with the elephant facilities - I wish they take in a small group of older females or young bulls. That would be good for the zoo since elephants are obviously a big attraction, it would be good for the EEP since new holders with good facilities are needed for non-breeding females and especially for bulls, and it would be good for the elephants since Twycross has experienced keepers, enough space for a group of 3-4 elephants and facilities that allow the handling of elephants in protected contact.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  14. giant_anteater

giant_anteater Well-Known Member

I think that the cost of keeping and feeding elephants must be astronomical. Maybe this has something to do with it? Animals like lions and tigers are arguably just as big an attraction, but can be kept for a fraction of the cost and space. Again, pure speculation, but could they end up using the enclosure space for these? People have been clamouring for them back, since lions left the zoo 7 odd years ago.

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I cannot see Twycross forgoing elephants while the house and outside areas are laid out for elephants, including all the interpretation and stuff. It would be too damn costly to overhaul it and give it over to an entirely different animal than the pachyderms.

But surely, if nothing has been said about future use all is speculation forthwith.

16. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Whilst I'm sure the footpath was (even more so now) a colossal waste/overspend of money I've always been wary of suspiciously round "headline" numbers and wonder if this figure hasn't been inflated in successive rounds of "zoo whispers"? Has anyone really seen definitive proof of the cost or, in true modern post-truth style, do we like the ball and we're running with it?

Sad news the elephants are leaving, they've always been there over my decades of visits, but it seems to be happening for positive reasons -I think the elephants and zoo will both benefit in the longer term from this (though it's going to be a much longer drive to see an elephant now:eek:)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

West Midlands isn't too far away

19. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

An interesting thought, given the improvements to Whipsnade's elephant facilities-and they have stated this will allow them to house more elephants.

Maybe Karishma could act as a go-between should it happen.

20. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

[QUOTE="Shorts, post: 1012612, member: 1824"

Sad news the elephants are leaving, they've always been there over my decades of visits, but it seems to be happening for positive reasons -I think the elephants and zoo will both benefit in the longer term from this (though it's going to be a much longer drive to see an elephant now:eek:)[/QUOTE]

Sorry to ask, but why do you think Twycross will benefit from losing their elephants? As I said earlier, I can see no positive for the zoo in terms of a draw to the public.

I actually think the elephants are probably the last single species they could afford to lose!

Controversial I know, but I think most general visitors would be less affected if they sent all the chimps away( given they still have 3 great ape species, I know that isn't a viable possibility though)! The main Chimp group were invisible on my last 2 visits anyway!

They should have built a large but cheap ( Monkeyworld style) Chimp enclosure & saved the money to build a bull elephant compound. Spending a fortune on a group of ageing, non breeding chimps makes no sense to me.