Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2017 #1

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Giant Panda, 29 Jan 2017.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very good news.

2. rubymurray

rubymurray Well-Known Member 15+ year member

All fenced off and site clearance underway. I haven't seen it in the flesh, just came across a photo someone tweeted.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks. BEST news I've ever heard from Twycross!:D

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does anyone know if there are any similar plans for new enclosures for the other ape species at the zoo?

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I assumed it always has been to complete the great ape habitats in phases.
    This is phase 1.0.

6. Pertinax

There are- it is(was) according to the plans supposed to be one enormous complex for all four species, of which the Common Chimps would be phase one. I think there may be quite a wait for the other phases to appear though.

7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Plans for enormous complexes should be treated with enormous scepticism, in my opinion. See the Heart of Africa thread for example.

8. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes chester was extremely close to making it happen, full plans with planning permission, just lost the financial support. But if Chester struggle with large projects, most other institutions will always aim to big in the end then there means allow.

9. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think that after the Chimp enclosure the next priority will be what goes in the 2 elephant enclosures and adapting them for whatever goes in there.

ShonenJake13 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  10. Pertinax

Certainly the rest of the developments for the Apes at Twycross were meant to be further down the line, not following on immediately from the Chimps. And I am not sure whether the current new build for the Chimps will be the same as the original plan as a 'Phase one' anyway- it might turn out to be a stand-alone development now.

11. Pertinax

I have some faith that they will eventually do the rest of this Ape build, or at least new enclosures if not a single complex- given the poor quality of the existing exhibits (IMO the Orangs need it most). But the time frame could be anyone's guess.

12. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

We definately won't see that massive combined 4 ape complex now, it seems those plans were scrapped as the new chimp complex currently being built occupies some of the land that was earmarked for it and this development is more standalone.

My guess is as the zoo realised they'd be loosing the elephants, potentially quite some time ago - they had to rethink the next few years of their development plan. Whatever replaces the elephants will likely require some investment - and who knows, maybe they'll fast track some other planned developments that introduce new species for 2019-20 (tigers?).

After visiting today though, for the first in about 2.5 years - I must say, whilst many of the areas of Twycross are still seriously run-down and in need of some serious TLC - you can see where they're investing money and the zoo is really starting to feel great again. Gibbon Forest is brilliant and Giraffes are as stunning as ever (if not a little frisky - my guess is we'll be hearing the patter of tiny hoofs next year!) and there are tonnes of little touches around the entire zoo that just make it a much better place for both the animals and visitors.

13. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think it's an all male giraffe herd? I agree it is slowly improving.

14. haydn

Well then, Twycross may be home to a pair of gay giraffes - and they're certainly exhibitionists! haha

15. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

It most certainly is an all male herd!Plus the enclosure hasn't been built as a breeding unit!

16. Pertinax

Do you know for sure that the 'Ape complex' really has been scrapped as an idea? :(

The new Chimp area was planned to occupy some of the area anyway as it was supposed to be connected up in due course with the rest. But I agree the plan I saw of the revised build that is actually happening does seem to be rather different.

17. haydn

A combined complex wouldn't work now based on where they're building the chimp house, so I'm fairly certain. In the combined plan - the houses were all connected in the middle - with the exterior enclosures reaching outwards. The new chimp enclosure house backs up to where the elephant house and old chimp house is, with no room left to interlink with other enclosures.

My guess is we'll still see a 'Kingdom of Apes' area - but it will be the exterior areas of each enclosure that bring them together - with the four houses standalone in four corners. So essentially - the previous plan turned inside out. This will no doubt be easier to develop logistically too as they can build one, knock one down, build one, etc rather than to keep moving the apes around to make space for one massive development.

Based on that, I'd actually expect the Gorillas to be next after the Chimps as once they're re-homed, the spaced reclaimed from the old Chimp and Gorilla Houses can be used to be Ape House 3 for either the Bonobos or Orangutans - I'd expect the Orangutans to be last - hence their interim home extension.

Slightly off topic, but one thing I do hope they sort out either once the new Chimp House takes place or when they refurb the elephants after they're gone is the whole visitor route around to the Giraffes. It's a bit unclear and could do with being a little more obvious and open - and at some point - when they're in position to re-work the smaller paddocks that back onto the elephant paddock - open that whole space up so you get a good 360 view of whatever goes in there.

Pertinax likes this.
  18. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think that the idea with the apes is indeed to work on the gorillas next and scrap that whole ape area that the gorillas and both chimp groups currently inhabit! Bonobos have adequate housing for now, and the orangutans were only recently updated so I doubt that the zoo will be looking into changing up their current pad anytime soon.

As for the gay giraffes, I witnessed this upon my last visit. There was a male mounting one of the others fairly regularly :p

The smaller paddock behind the main elephant paddock I think will be used for whatever comes next - which I personally think should be Indian rhino as they wouldn't have to change much with the paddocks or housing, or the 'top quality' pathway that was a cause of many headaches within the Zoochat community!

Brum likes this.
  19. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think the current Gorilla enclosure is pretty good compared to quite a few others in UK and Europe* (that's not to ignore there's many better but it's also above average and better than many). The Orang-utan exhibit remains poor overall though recent changes have considerably improved the indoor parts.

*Having recently visited Howletts again I can't understand why all zoos don't keep their Gorillas like them.

pipaluk and ShonenJake13 like this.
  20. haydn

I guess no-one knows for sure which will be next. Based on quality of existing house, Orang-utan should probably be next (well actually quite a few other non-ape species should be next!) but then I guess it all depends on how they want to develop the area - and logistically what order works best for that.

I guess once the chimpanzee house can come down, and if they relocated the Amazon Monkey House - there would be sufficient space for a second new ape exhibit without having to relocate the Gorillas or Bonobos.

Any ideas whats planned for the space where the old Gibbon Houses were? Would the Amazon Monkeys fit within the 'life in the trees' zone?