Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2017 #2

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 16 Apr 2017.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From a visit today - the Langur house is no more. The site where it used to stand has been cleared and is currently fenced off. The Lowe's Gueneon are back onshow as well in what was a Red Ruffed Lemur house by the entrance

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  2. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I visited last they were in the former black-and-white ruffed lemur house next to the meerkats, is this where you mean?

Also how does the chimp building works look?

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The langur house being gone: quite a bit of open space?
    Any info or idea what is next up here?

4. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1:0 Northern White-Cheeked Gibbon was born on Tuesday

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. MagpieGoose

A couple of other things I noticed on my visit yesterday:
    -The Dholes have either gone or moved off-show as there enclosure says there is nothing in it and is being refurbished. The stone house at the end has also been closed off for refurbishment.
    - Some of the turf around the new chimp house but thats the only work I have seen so far but the construction site is full of diggers and it should be a great development.
    -Also the fences around the construction site are too high so I couldn't take a photo. This a trend I'm starting to see in zoos, fences which are too high for ZooChatters to reach over and get a photo of it, like the new developments at the start of RORA at Chester. Luckly, there was a hole at the bottom, so I could get some photos of the work.
    -Boa Constrictor have moved out of the South America house and into the stone house between the hyena and ASCO.
    -I noticed that there was a Tortoise in the butterfly house at the start of it.
    -The viewing area for the elephants (Other side to water) has now been blocked off, so now just a wooden fence rather than a viewing area for the elephants.

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  6. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

The Dhole passed away a few weeks ago.

The Tortoise is a I think a Bells Hingeback Tortoise.

Also the position of the door has moved on the South American House,as its now in the middle and not either side of a Goldfish pool that used to be in the building!

MagpieGoose likes this.
  7. Evo

Evo Active Member

Can someone tell me where all the monkey species are in regards to the zoo map numbers? When I visited last tuesday I missed the black and white colobus, francois langur, and javan langur. I'm not sure if the guenons I saw were crowned (on the website) or lowe's gueneon (are they synonyms?) any help will be appreciated to help on my next visit!

8. MagpieGoose

If your going by map numbers its:
    7- Black and White Colobus and Javan Langur
    12- Lowe's Guenon
    31- Crowned Guenon (mixed with a Diana Monkey) and François Langur
    35- L' Hoest's Monkey

9. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Construction sites have to be secure from people entering, its the fault of the construction company if someone was to trespass and hurt themselves. Bonkers I know but that is the CDM regs.

Viewing windows should be placed, so nosey people can see what is going on and to help stop people trying to climb the fence to look at it.

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Am surprised the four singles- Colobus, Javan Langur, Crowned Guenon and Diana companion have not been pensioned off to a sanctuary, maybe O& M on the IOW where they have sent others in the past. Perhaps they are at capacity. A move of these would free up more space at Twycross for their bigger groups.

11. Pertinax

Good to hear its really happening anyway.

Is there no hoarding or anything explaining what the site is being developed for?

12. MagpieGoose

There is a sign with a artist impression, a large picture of Peter the Chimp and a little bit of information, I will post a photo of it when I get back on my computer

ShonenJake13, stulch and Pertinax like this.
  13. MagpieGoose

I have now uploaded the photos :)

Also, not sure if this is a new development but the old Chimp enclosure by the Tapirs which holds Mara but also signs as having Howler Monkey and Coati in aswell. Does anyone know how the coati/howler monkey mix is getting on?

14. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is it right that they are down to only a single Colobus and Javan Langur?

15. Kifaru Bwana

I am not sure how old all these are? I am glad though that animal management at TWZP holds them on site rather than shoving them off to one of these maligned "sanctuaries", especially in these very delicate folivorous species like Colobinae

16. rubymurray

rubymurray Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was told on Saturday that they will be putting viewing windows in to the hoarding around the chimp development, they just haven't got around to it yet.

Pertinax likes this.
  17. Pertinax

That is all I saw on my last visit a few months back. Previously there were two Langurs, but not now.

18. Pertinax

I don't know how old they are either but they don't look young and evidently not being kept as species longerterm. The Monkey Sanctuary on the Isle of Wight is a small but first class set-up. Twycross have sent animals there in the past and I believe they already hold Javan Langurs anyway which I think were from Twycross.

19. Kifaru Bwana

@Pertinax, does TWZP still hold a breeding group of Javan langur or is this a thing of the past (and they only intend to continue with breeding dusky and Francois langur)?

20. Pertinax

Only one Javan Langur left. Breeding groups now only Spectacled and Francois Langurs.