Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2017 #2

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 16 Apr 2017.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

;)

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I popped in today. The Gibbons were enjoying the outdoors even though it was quite dull and cloudy when I arrived. A Pileated and an Agile came out, whereas all the Siamang were partying outdoors for some time.

Has anyone ever seen the Long Tailed Chinchilla? I want to take photos of it for my Threatened Mammals project.

3. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have to say that I am surprised by several criticisms of the new Gibbon facility!
    In my opinion, the indoor enclosures are a massive improvement on the rabbit hutch sized indoor areas they used to spend much of the year sat doing nothing in poor weather ( other than rocking back & forth in some cases)! This is perhaps why they spend more time indoors than previously in anything other than good weather.
    The new Gibbon complex is a major improvement on the awful one it replaced. Well done Twycross! Just my opinion!

Zia, Brum, Crowthorne and 2 others like this.
  4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think the criticisms mainly relate to the outside areas. Of course every critic would still no doubt say its a huge improvement on the old housing.

I believe the reason they appear to stay indoors more is because it is far more comfortable than the outside areas which are colder/windier than the previous location.

pipaluk likes this.
  5. pipaluk

This may well be right, but as I suggested previously, they possibly spent more time outdoors in the old complex, because the indoors were so awful.

6. Pertinax

I think maybe they spent more time outdoors in the old enclosures because they were more sheltered, but also because their total space was far less than they have now. The new inside areas give them plenty of room without the need really to go outside- or does the uncovered nature of the outdoor enclosures play a part too i.e. do they not feel so 'safe' using them?

7. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Has there been any more news on the departure of the elephants? Do we know for sure yet when it will be happening or where they will be going?

8. Pertinax

Afaik the answers are No and No...

9. Falconhoof

10. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know what bird species the zoo currently holds I've looked on Zootierliste and to be honest after a few visits to other collections I know take ztl with a pinch of salt as regards bird species.
    So if someone as a list I would be extremely grateful and what other species should I look out for.

11. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know roughly when the new chimp enclosure is to be opened? And how they are doing with introductions between the two groups? Last I heard Danny and Holly had been moved over to Jambo's group....

12. Pertinax

End of the year is what I heard- when I saw it a couple of months ago it still looked like only about a third of the construction had taken place- the main framework of the indoor building only. The six chimps in the smaller group were all together in their building. I'm also interested to know if having obtained a West African male for breeding, they will try to add any more pure West African females to the future enlarged group- I think there is now only one of their remaining/existing ones that fits that bill as a potential breeder?.

Last edited: 28 Sep 2017
  13. ShonenJake13

Indeed - Josie is the only one left (Coco and Noddy are both too old) and she doesn't like Kibali. My guess is they will introduce the two groups and any new females in the new building; uncharted territory and therefore less violence from the groups. I wonder if the hierarchy will change drastically.

14. Falconhoof

Do we know anymore about where or when the elephants will be going? I know Blackpool was mentioned as a possibility, and I've just seen that their current resident has moved into the new elephant enclosure. Presumably this means they're now ready to receive a new herd?

15. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

[​IMG]

Would a hippo enclosure be too much to ask for?

Zia and Loxodonta Cobra like this.
  16. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I said exactly the same thing last time we visited.

17. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can see exactly why you'd suggest that, and I do quite like the sound of it even though I'm still hoping for White or Indian rhino....

18. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Never been to Twycross but it isn't that far and Chester membership is a free pass :D I would love it if hippos came personally just so I don't have to travel too far to see them!

19. ShonenJake13

I doubt hippos will go in there, though the enclosure is perfect for them. Due to how much the pathway between the elephants and giraffes cost, I think Indian rhinos will be the choice.

Then again, hippos would work as they would be moving into an enclosure between one for giraffes and one for zebras and nyala...

20. pipaluk

If it's not going to be used for Elephants, I'd choose hippos, but they'd need some grass in the main paddock!! Next choice Indian rhino, if not build a fence & put tigers in there!