Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo news 2017 #2

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 16 Apr 2017.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm surprised they didn't leave trying to introduce members of the smaller group until after the new building is finished. Territorial differences would be at their lowest when they are all in strange new surroundings.

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  2. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Even then I just wouldn’t start with Danny. My personal intro order would have been William, Holly, Tommy, Peter, Samantha and then Danny last.

Pertinax likes this.
  3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think they've definately brushed over the fact he died during introductions to the other group, perhaps because there would have been more critisism by followers of the zoo. I do wonder why they chose to try that now rather than wait till the new house is ready. Presumably there was some reason we aren't aware of.

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  4. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

from Facebook: closing mid afternoon to allow staff to leave safely, but a cute video of one of the orangutans collecting snow to take inside.

5. MonkeyTail

MonkeyTail New Member

Danny had been in with the larger group for several months

Pertinax likes this.
  6. rubymurray

rubymurray Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Planning application in for a new Tiger House:-

Results

Hope the link works

7. taun

taun Well-Known Member

That is impressive, for the zoo that needs to reinvent itself. I look forward to seeing this and the other developments next year.

8. Commradematt

Commradematt Member

Kibriah is Batu's favourite if I remember what I was told, at least the same thing wont happen to Kayan as happened to her last baby which was a girl, I would have thought they would have sent Molly away by now because they wouldn't want what happened to the other female that was there surely.

9. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's coming up with a "session timed out" error - do you have a different link?

EDIT: Alternatively, which search terms/criteria did you use to find it?

10. rubymurray

rubymurray Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thought that might happen. If you go to Simple Search and search for 'Twycross Zoo', it'll come up.

Falconhoof likes this.
  11. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That worked, cheers!

12. Commradematt

Commradematt Member

What is happening at Twycross 1st Happy Heroes Weekend!
    Armed Forces and Emergency Services Personnel, join us for FREE entry TODAY, tomorrow and Sunday, then it was Free for NHS staff then it was free for education staff and finally half price tickets, why dont they just reduce the admission price ?

13. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

As a teacher, I applaud what they are doing. I have never seen anyone make offers like that for people who work in education, despite us being tied to the school holidays when everything costs considerably more. Thank you Twycross (even though I am a member and cannot personally take advantage of it!) The cost of getting in there normally is comparable with Dudley Zoo (which, with a car park token, would cost slightly more), and Bristol in the school holidays from Easter onwards is more expensive.

TriUK and Falconhoof like this.
  14. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I have no complaints with them doing this - having had cancer treatment on the NHS I have a lot of appreciation for the staff and am frankly in awe of emergency personal and members of the armed forces for what they do as an occupation.

Falconhoof likes this.
  15. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd much prefer prices fall for everyone, which seems much more egalitarian. Or maybe do like some US zoos do and have occasional "free entry days" (though I can see potential problems with that in heavily populated areas).

It's not like most zoos charge more specifically during school holidays (or weekends when, presumably most people, teachers included, would be free to visit). Also it doesn't seem fair that some people who have just as "worthy" jobs (who judges that?) on equal or lower pay don't get the discount. Ultimately it's just a marketing ploy that some benefit from (luck of the draw really).

16. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And this is a worthier reason than a previous one. Anyone remember "Red heads get in free on National Orang-utan day"? That seems a fair bit more luck of the draw than the current situation...

17. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Which is the whole point.

1. It gives the zoo an opportunity for press (and other media) coverage.
    2. It "commits" people to attending on a specific (and otherwise quiet) date (or dates).

Shaving 50p or whatever off the standard price would do neither.

Maguari likes this.
  18. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's probably easier to dye your hair than prove you have a worthy job though!

19. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

It is indeed a marketing ploy, and zoos will always be doing stuff like that. This is the first time ever I have benefited from one :)

Some zoos do indeed charge more in school holidays - Bristol, Chester and Whipsnade are examples (I like Bristol, though, they are only charging a tenner for entry at the moment, hurrah.)

20. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is it that they charge more or that they charge less at quiet times? £10 for Bristol is cheap!!