Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 25 Jan 2018.

1. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Surely these reduced price deals are contributing to the problem?

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Sadly, TZ remind me of a retail company I worked for in a technical role, who regularly offered reduced prices to get customers through the door. This company also had peek periods dictated by school hours/holidays, but didn't have the infrastructure to cope at such times (as they were going through a period of transition), which led to more people complaining online as there was praising the product/service.

3. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In terms of offers during term time, I suspect the zoo were trying to counter the fact some people will be less inclined to visit now the elephants are going plus the weather hasn’t exactly been great during the first quarter. Like many visitor attractions, Twycross probably make more money on spend inside the zoo than they do at the gate too. So the more people inside spending the better.

4. rubymurray

rubymurray Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think they've nailed most of what they've done in recent years, however, I don't get these offers. I get the point, which is obviously to fill the zoo, however, surely you price an offer so as to generate enough demand but not to generate more than you can cope with? They reduced entry to £10 and £5 earlier in the year and ended up with chaos, so why not reduce it to £13 and £6.50 this time? It's reasonable, it's Easter, which is a busy time anyway. They have certainly been better at communicating the state of play on these busy days, however, aside from that, they don't appear to have learnt that much.

The other issue they have is that the car parks, outside of the main car parks, are on grass. I was there at 10am on Saturday and I heard someone over a staff members radio say that the elephant car park was a no go. Capacity is totally driven by the usability of the car parks, which is driven by the weather and that means capacity is totally variable through a good chunk of the year, to the point where they don't really have any idea of their capacity until they arrive for work in the morning. I think they'll have to address this sooner rather than later.

On a more positive note, I think Chimp Eden is excellent. The 5 chimps that are in there seem to have way more space than they know what to do with, and only one of the two inside areas is in use. You can totally see how the climbing structure works. The whole thing moves, so Chimp A in top-right corner moves around and impacts Chimp B in bottom-left. The theming is great, although I think the indoor viewing will be busy until the outside is open. The outside looks like it may need a good few weeks for the grass to bed down before being ready, however, it is absolutely enormous and I have to say, they have landscaped it very cleverly to mitigate the impact of that huge concrete perimeter wall. The contrast when you walk between new and old Chimp Complex is somewhat startling.

5. littleRedPanda

I don't know if they were transferring more chimps over today, but Eden didn't open at all today (at least not before I left at 4, having been told it would open around 2:30). Very disappointing, but probably should have trusted my instinct and left my visit til later.

6. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I have been reading the comments on the zoo's FB page and have been quite impressed at the number of sensible comments amidst the complaints about the traffic.

This is an example: "I have to say, as a family of 6 we really appreciate the special offers, as otherwise a day at the zoo is too pricey. It is the first sunny day for ages, Easter holidays and a new enclosure has opened, so of course today was always going to be busy."

I think offering discounts during the school holidays is an extremely important thing to do which allows people to visit the zoo who would otherwise be unable to go.

7. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It would make sense if they were to move more over during the next week or so, as they will need to integrate the remaining 5.8 before the current 2.3 get too territorial...

8. littleRedPanda

Even the Chimps were giving a hand to rush the job
    [​IMG]

9. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This may be a tricky problem. I expect they will need both indoor areas open before they mix all the chimps and I think they will want the outdoor area open too, if possible. That may mean that it will take several weeks before they can complete the whole move. Perhaps they will shift the current occupants to the other indoor area, and then move the next subgroup into the current one.

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  10. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very true; personally I would want to see the 3.1 in the Complex move over next so that, when the remaining 2.7 from the larger group move over, the new animals will have some friends to back them up.

Pertinax likes this.
  11. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Don't wish to be critical before I see it, but do I see lots of indoor pathway and just restricted viewing windows here, rather like Chester orangutans? The 'new' style of exhibits.... great for the animals but not so hot for viewing them.

Loxodonta Cobra likes this.
  13. taun

taun Well-Known Member

How do you give the visitors close up look?

You couldn't do a huge glass wall it would be expensive.

Only option to provide vast viewing area is some sort of dry moat or pit like indoor areas, which does not give the best views and is generally not liked these days.

Don't think there is a perfect solution to it. Luckily chimps will use an outdoor area and they have provide a vast viewing platform.

14. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It seems bigger than I was expecting.

15. BeakerUK

It is very nice looking, and I love the space for the chimpanzees, but viewing does look like it could be frustrating. Somewhere to avoid at busy times.

16. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I'm just imagining the wooden path full of baby buggies :eek: Paignton's ape house used to have a wooden path surrounded by woodchips that became impassable at busy times. The new smooth floor covering has improved things slightly.

17. littleRedPanda

That's my general view of zoos, Twycross in particular. :D
    Looks nice and will please a lot of people.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  18. BeakerUK

Sadly, as a teacher, I can only go at weekends and school holidays - very frustrating, though it does mean I tend to welcome rain as it might mean things are a little less busy. My best hope is when holiday times differ slightly in different regions.

19. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It must have been filmed by the worlds shortest cameraman, that's ask I can say.

20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have not seen it yet, so this may be premature, but it looked to me from the video as if there might only be one (not overlarge) viewing area for each of the two inside areas. It depends how long/wide these actually are as to whether they will get overcrowded or not at busy times..