Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 25 Jan 2018.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That space has always been a lawn. The new tiger enclosures will be at numbers 16 and 21 in this current map.

4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And probably 22 I think, which is the former Dhole enclosure and tufted deer. Tufted deer are mentioned in the article as a former inhabitant of the development area.

5. Benobo88

Benobo88 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any idea if the tufted deer are likely to be relocated elsewhere within the zoo? Was only a short while ago that they had the new fawn with the article saying that Twycross was one of 2 UK zoo's to keep this species and the only one breeding them? Just seems a shame to lose them...

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It mentions both Tufted Deer and Nyala as 'former inhabitants' of these 'now derelict enclosures'. Both were still there a few months ago- I wonder where in the Zoo they are now? Or relocated somewhere else?

7. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

My understanding is that the current Tufted Deer enclosures are unaffected by the development.

Pertinax and Benobo88 like this.
  8. Pertinax

I thought the Tufted Deer had always been in the same enclosure. (It talks about former Tufted Deer enclosure..) But it looks like the Nyala are the ones that will/have moved.

Maguari and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nyala will have moved to the African part (zebra, giraffe et cetera).

Looking at the zoo map and all: the tufted deer - IMO - would brighten up the Himalaya theme (along with red pandas). Not that it will happen ....

10. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I'm trying to remember if there have been Tufted Deer in the ex-Dhole/Cheetah enclosure - that might be what they're driving at.

11. BillEel

BillEel Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What an unusually shaped enclosure! If the footprint is going to include the deer paddocks I wonder if the tufted deer might be moved down to the old crane paddock at the bottom of the zoo?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The plans showed it taking up the original Lion enclosure (16) and old Camel enclosure (21) and also the play area and part of the lawn. I think the otters and other paddocks were safe for now.

13. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So it looks like the Nyala will be (or they've already been) moved back into the Zebra paddock where they previously were when they arrived at Twycross.

And as for the Tufted deer, I think the best possible place to put them would have to be the crane paddocks at the bottom.

And I know I could be wrong, but weren't the Dik-diks moved into the former Dhole enclosure last year after their last one had died?

Either way, I am GLAD to hear that Twycross are bringing Tigers back to their collection! :D

Let's hope and see if they can do the same thing here with Rhinos moving into the Elephant paddock... Fingers crossed! :rolleyes::D

14. Pertinax

Afaik they've only ever been where they are now, at least ever since I've seen them at Twycross( five/seven years?). Maybe the publicity blurb got it wrong.

15. Pertinax

The Nyala used to be in with the Zebra, but were moved out for some reason.

The Tufted deer would make a good Himalayan display with e.g. Red Panda as you suggest. Patricularly as they already have the 'Himalaya' focus with the Snow Leopards.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The tufted deer were originally beside the tapir, close to the entrance from the main road. But hayden is right about the plans.

17. Pertinax

But what they referred to as 'derelict enclosures that housed tufted deer etc' is not quite correct is it...for where the Tiger enclosure will be sited? But its good news another quality exhibit will soon appear here.

18. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Rebooking at the amended plans. It seems the zoo have downsized the outside areas and indoor areas marginally. So it all now remains within the existing zoo between boundary. It states the reason is a boundary/licence issue and also a review of the species minimum requirements. Perhaps the zoo plan to hold a smaller number of tigers than originally expected.

It also looks as though the first section of the paddocks (22 on the map) will go. So I stand corrected but this appears to be more landscaping/pathways rather than the enclosure running that far. If it turns out anything like the visuals though, it will be pretty impressive!

Kifaru Bwana and pipaluk like this.
  19. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Facebook message declares 29th August as being the last day for the Elephants at the zoo.

20. Brownie

Brownie Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The remaining two elephants, Noorjahan and Esha, have now left the zoo and been transferred to Blackpool Zoo where they will be reunited with Minbu and Tara.

Kifaru Bwana, Benosaurus and kiang like this.