Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 25 Jan 2018.

1. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That’s a pretty sizeable extension to what is already a huge enclosure too!

I wouldn’t want to see species leave, but it would be good if they could improve viewing from the opposite side to the Giraffes but I guess this would mean removing a number of small enclosures that back onto the elephant/rhinos there.

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can you post the link please?

3. rubymurray

rubymurray Well-Known Member

Simple Search and search for 'twycross zoo' , it's the first in the list.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

The first on that list I get is a link to a calendar of events at the zoo. Maybe just post the actual link?

bongorob likes this.
  5. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Chlidonias likes this.
  6. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

7. rubymurray

rubymurray Well-Known Member

There's not a lot in there, but probably still more than I expected, tbh. The expensive walkway with viewing is already there, as is the house. I didn't expect the second paddock. I really posted it as confirmation of rhino going in rather than an exciting new development. The money is going on the Tiger development, it seems.

Kifaru Bwana and haydn like this.
  8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Its just a simple conversion to allow two outdoor sandyard holding areas so they can split rhinos when necessary. Not much else is necessary really. I wonder if they will remove the Elephant-proof barriers indoors and replace with something else for Rhino as renovation to provide seperate indoor stalling will also be necessary probably. IMO this enclosure will make a suitable rhino paddock with fairly minor alterations, it was the most obvious and sensible option.

I'm very pleased to see two of Twycross' longest standing issues- the holding of the female elephants only, and the lack of proper facilities for Chimpanzees, finally being resolved almost simultaneously. Better late than never... I think the arrival of Rhinos and Tigers should compensate for the loss of the Elephants there.

9. Commradematt

Commradematt Member

I agree it was a waste of the herd of female elephants but it makes me wonder did the studbook have a say in it being as Blackpool where having a bull yard.
    I have a question will the Rhinos be all males like everything else that are not Apes or Primates

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Apr 2018
  10. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Seperate paddocks suggests possibly mixed herd. A breeding pair would be awesome if possible!

11. Commradematt

Commradematt Member

Most of the other animals are males, like the giraffes, zebras

12. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Not necessarily, a single sex group will need separate outdoor enclosures to separate animals if the case arrives.

13. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is just the kind of news I was hoping for since I heard that the Elephants would be departing soon (which was just about a year ago now but who cares), I personally think Rhinos will be an amazing new addition to the Twycross collection as well as the Tigers which are also coming soon. :)

And by species of Rhino, I'm kinda expecting it to be Southern white rhinoceros as I can't imagine Twycross would ever consider housing Black rhinoceros. And while I do think Indian rhinoceros would be a great idea also, it would mean maybe having to split the paddock in half to give them their own space. Meanwhile, I think the old elephant paddock overall would be much more suited to housing White rhinos than it would for either Black/Indian rhinos or even for Hippopotamuses. (Again, that's not gonna be the case for this exhibit so White Rhinos it is!) Although even with that being said, I'm willing to be proved wrong.

Overall, I have a feeling that with the recent development plans (e.g. bringing back Tigers and introducing Rhinos to the collection) I think this could be a sign that Twycross maybe starting to change for the better (especially after all the ups & downs over the recent years and such) but who knows. Either way, I am excited to see these developments come into place in time for the new additions to make their appearance at the zoo's collection.

Loxodonta Cobra likes this.
  14. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Not based on anything more than the design of the existing paddock and a hunch, really, but I'd be inclined to think Indian most likely.

TNT, pipaluk and Brum like this.
  15. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think the same.

17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A good choice, but would they want added expenditure to create indoor bathing for them? This seems pretty much accepted as necessary nowadays.

18. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree about the indoor bathing, and, to maintain a consistent educational message, zoos SHOULD ensure that the heating of such facilities is carbon neutral & sustainable (like Paigntons croc exhibit).

19. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Regarding the new Chimp exhibit - does anyone know what the old chimp/gorilla houses will be used for? Will some of the other primates move in?

20. Commradematt

Commradematt Member

I would hope it is made into a new Bonobo house after all their house was the original elephant house