Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by BeakerUK, 1 Jan 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

One point I have to make following my visit to Twycross yesterday is that I totally agree and share the irritation of those who earlier criticised all the new fences blocking off certain access routes. What have they done? The place has become a maze with dead ends everywhere, not a great idea!
    As for the exit to Chimp Eden, I'm a rebel, I wasn't walking around for 5 minutes to the entrance, I went through the exit and on to the Rhino & giraffe.
    Was good to see the Diana monkeys in the old gorilla house though, I hope they get new species in the other 2 gorilla /chimp enclosures rather than demolish them and leave empty spaces.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It would be good to utilise those existing houses in that way, either for existing primate species, or even some additional ones. But if they did that, I think they would be 'outside viewing' only as the indoor areas of those houses are now very outdated and in poor repair. I doubt they would allow public access in them anymore.

3. pipaluk

Agreed, but the old monkey indoor houses were locked yesterday anyway. The only viewing of indoor areas was for the apes.

Pertinax likes this.
  4. Pertinax

Yes, they seemed to have stopped indoor viewing in the main(De Brazza/Spectacled Langur) monkey house permanently now. I suspect its to reduce stress from noisy people being so close to the monkeys. And I think the old Gorilla/Diana house is the same?

5. pipaluk

Yes, plus the marmoset /tamarin house and brown spider monkey / Titi houses were closed

Pertinax likes this.
  6. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Speaking to one of the members of staff there a few months back there intent then was to use one of the old enclosures for storage and reuse the other for a current / new species, though he wasn't sure which.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A sensible move and indeed super improves animal welfare

8. Pertinax

Can you describe where the main places are that have been blocked?

9. Pertinax

Overall I would support it given how close people could get in these houses, but for visitors it makes for difficult viewing and more seemingly empty outdoor enclosures I suspect.

10. pipaluk

Sorry, I will have to look at the map later, but the main problems I can remember were a dead end by the marmoset House, you can't get round the back of the old giraffe house, so have to walk all the way round the zebra paddock to get to the rhino's or chimps.
    Path blocked between orangs and the aviary block, you can't walk all the way round the orang exhibit or the aviaries.
    The dead end by the gorillas, unless you go into Chimp Eden via the 'exit'.
    Also I seem to remember there was no cut through from the 2 paths either side of the first 2 monkey blocks. I think you can't cut through anywhere between the leopards and the visitor centre, the cut through is beyond the end of the deBrazza open top exhibit anyway, you can't walk round it.

Pertinax likes this.
  11. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Some how we managed to miss each other going round,but yes all the new barriers round the zoo make no sense at all,would never been allowed in the days of Molly and Nat,for starters Molly would have got lost driving round in her car now,although I suspect she would have just driven straight through the fence to get were she wanted to go!!

Pandaboi, TriUK, Sand Cat and 2 others like this.
  12. pipaluk

We probably didn't see each other going round because we were opposite sides of a fence!

Nisha and ShonenJake13 like this.
  13. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I read something a few days ago where the CEO was talking about the changes to the pathways. It’s the first stage in completing re-landscaping the zoo to make it more natural.

I suspect over time these fences will be replaced with more natural barriers at least improving the aesthetics and I also some of the more confusing changes maybe in readiness for future changes and developments in the plan.

There was also talk of a major new children’s area next year. Not sure if this a return of the fun fair or just a major overhaul of the playground or something entirely different.

Edit: here is the source: Twycross Zoo | Sharon Redrobe | One World Future | blooloop

Some interest tidbits about the zoos success over recent years. Impressive growth in revenue and visitors and they’re now moving in to the second five year phase of the development plan.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2019
    OrangePerson, J C and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  14. Pertinax

The article was quite interesting though I had some problem deciphering what's what, as it seems written as a selection of rather unconnected soundbites encompassing not only the zoo's plans but various other conservation-related subjects too.

The landscaping/planting certainly sounds a distinct improvement on the flat bare landscape and ugly brick buildings that have always been Twycross' hallmark up until now, though I can't see why impeding access around the zoo with dead ends as seems to be the case, will help with this at all. At present it remains probably one of the least attractive zoo sites in the UK(IMO) so there's an awful lot of work to be done to turn it around from that.

The most interesting fact for me was the intention to bring in fresh Chimps from Europe to add to what is now described here as their 'aged' group- if they want to expand by breeding, presumably with pure Westerns, a few breeding-age females would suffice as they already have a Western male -Kibale-who was the first fresh addition to the group in many years, while no young have been born into it, for many years either.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2019
  15. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Will the collection be increasing the avian side of the collection in the future?

16. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Yes an intresting article confirming what we know that they are moving forward as a zoo and intresting glimpses into the future, also loved the video of Dr. Sharon telling us her job of running the sh*t :)

17. Pertinax

Its although worth noting that while Twycross have achieved three major new builds in the past five years, with a fourth (tigers) nearing completion, there is no mention of anything comparable in the upcoming 'five year plan'- only landscaping and children areas are mentioned specifically. For example, does that mean the originally planned 'great ape complex' has now been ditched entirely- I suspect so. But it will be interesting to see if there are other major builds coming up- or not.

haydn likes this.
  18. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think zoos put in paths that only go to one place so that you walk further, spend more time there and feel like you have had a long day out. Also tired feet need to stop for a rest and refreshments. Cynical? Perhaps.

19. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's much the same technique as used by Ikea in their superstores.

20. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think it’s pretty certain we won’t see the major ape complex. Chimp Eden shows that. But I think we will see each ape species get a new home over time.

I’m sure there will be some major builds in the next five years, still plenty of time for the applications to go in.

But I think it does also make sense to focus a little bit on guest logistics too. A 20% jump in visitor numbers has caused all sorts of problems in the car parks and on local roads - so I can see them delivering on the ideas in the plan around expanded car parks, new road entrance and roads etc. Plus a whole new main entrance into the zoo. These open up a huge space adjacent to Himalaya for future habitats too so would make sense.

Pertinax likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.