Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by BeakerUK, 1 Jan 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Unfortunately I am not able to see the clip. Who is the mother, CHEKA, MARINGA?

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Likemba, according to this article

3. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks LittleRed Panda...

4. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Visited today took a chance on the weather and turned out ok, rain held of for once. Few points of notice, the walk way around the rhino enclosure is now reopened linking the giraffes to the owls they have replaced the wooden deck bridge with stone and new fences for the public. The exhibit is as was for the elephants plus a few shelters and the pool has been drained as is the rest of the walk way with all the old Asian themeing signs and pieces. The chimps have had new timber platforms with with walls and roofs installed outside at high level which they are using, saw six outside today in them. There former chimp enclosure now has Mara in next to the tigers. The small monkey area was closed for building works I assume this is to allow work to the other side of the rhino paddock so hopefully the walk way behind the zebras will also reopen sone. We where treated to the female tiger having a walk outside today, she walked along side the glass tunnel which was awesome having eye to eye contact with the tunnel being sunken into the ground. On another note the air con in the Himalayan centre was of again today that’s the second time this month don’t know if it’s broken of cost saving but it is stifling in there.

5. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I'd like to belatedly apologise to 'Crochetdermy' artist, Shauna Richardson, for being scathing about the Crocheted Lions exhibit in Twycross's car park in 2012. Her work featured on BBC1's Countryfile last weekend and her crocheted animal sculptures are brilliant. I didn't even look at the lions properly so my sneering was aimed more at the zoo using fake animals as an attraction rather than at the artwork itself.

sooty mangabey likes this.
  6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any photographic material from your visit re new rhino area?

7. J C

Will put up what I have now

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. J C

Speaking to the staff / visitor guide at the tigers the other day she said they might not be breeding with these tigers as they aren’t a great genetic match apparently but are holding them as there new facility is big enough to hold male and female in two separate enclosures for a year or two till better matches are found and a match found for either the male or female and the other then moved on to allow breeding in the future

9. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

10. J C

11. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think it was chimps last time, if I remember right?

12. J C

13. taun

taun Well-Known Member

A chimp did a number of years ago as I was there at the time. Well it wasn't really escape as it was still contained just not in its enclosure.

14. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If this is the second escape in 12 months, someone somewhere is bound to start questioning the safety of these fenceless enclosures.

15. J C

Twycross Zoo closes after chimpanzees escape
    I take it it was this article, I wonder if this is why you could not veiw the chimps inside the newer of the two older enclosures

16. J C

I know, I wonder what alterations they made if any after the last escape from this enclosure.

17. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Nope, that incident happened in the morning before opening time. ;)

18. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think that was because the large group of active chimps that had recently been moved in there from the old cages were slowly wrecking it with their displays etc and the glass viewing windows were covered with grilles to prevent anything untoward happening- hence not viewer-friendly anymore.

19. hjkr

hjkr Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know how many Amur Leopards are at Twycross now? Have the two (female?) offspring born in 2016 been moved on? I never end up spending much time at the Leopard enclosure so very rarely see more than one.

20. WanderingDragon

WanderingDragon Well-Known Member

They still had four (1 male, 3 females) when I last visited at the end of June, including the two females born in 2016. They have had to be separated from their mother but they were also having trouble with each other. They should have been moved on long before now but it appears Twycross are 'holding out' for at least one of these females to move to Highland Wildlife Park and join the 'breeding for re-introduction scheme'.up there.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.