Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by BeakerUK, 1 Jan 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Eastern black rhino are moving in at Easter

FunkyGibbon, TNT, pipaluk and 4 others like this.
  2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Noticed the sign on the way out, but didn't know the it was the Easter Black :)

3. J C

Pic for rhino now up in galleries

4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Will they just drain the pool then or are they planning to fill it in?

5. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wow this is amazing news!!! Genuinely was expecting Indian rhinos but another zoo in Britain accommodating Black rhinos, fantastic!!! Wonder where the individuals will come from

6. J C

Currently the pool is drained problem just for safety and hygiene reasons whilst the work is going on but with the devolopments going on there and the tiger development there is plenty of land fill and would be cheaper than skips so wouldn’t be surprised though I though the original plans still showed the pool ? Hence the rumore if possible Indian rhino

7. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Not sure they want to use land fill for it. ;)

Also any excavations for building of the tiger exhibit, would not be of the quantity to fill that pool. As I would assume it was deep enough for elephants to submerge than the volume will be substantial. I suspect they would use it to landscape the outdoors.

8. J C

Possibly but if you check the media I have a pic of of huge pile of concrete and hard core in the new tiger exhibit which would cost to remove

9. J C

Also noticed today the old gorilla house by the tapias is getting a refit defiantly for monkeys with all the climbing equipment being installed, wonder if this could be a second home for the bonobos would make sense as would separate the two groups to opposite ends of the zoo rather than using one of the old chimp enclosures and effectively putting them next to each other

pipaluk likes this.
  10. J C

Have posted pic in media of new equipment being installed in old gorilla exhibit

11. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When you’re spending £2-3m on a building project, a few thousand for waste removal is nothing.

12. J C

O
    Ok I realise that just saying in reply to the comment if they where to fill in the pool it’s there to be used not forgetting this is a charity it would be seam wasteful for a truck load of hard core to go out one day at cost and a truck full to come in the next as I would also think to two project are run by the same construction firm it’s not like this is a government run project

13. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Not where near enough, you cannot just chuck crap into the whole. It will need to broken down with will reduce that volume. Plus the concrete could be used under footways/hardstand areas.

14. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Do you know its just hardcore?

Why are you so sure they are going to fill the pond with hard core?

15. J C

Yes am pretty sure it’s hardcore, from the old enclosure housing from the three exhibits Twycross brick work and am not saying they are even going to fill in the pond just responding to the question if they where planing to fill it in it would be cost effective to fill in useing this then top of with a meter or so of sand or what even top material required, it’s filling a hole not rocket science

16. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Might not be as complicated as rocket science but its not as simple as shovelling some rubbish into a hole...

Offcourse they will try and re-use material if its suitable. Contractors will try and save money on everything. I was trying to get at you don't know what was in that building, it may not be suitable, it may have hazardous materials.

17. J C

Ok agreeded they simply wouldn't just fill a hole with any thing as I am sure they would separate any such materials aspestos and the like before they demolished the buildings like they did with the old school building. Let's just agree to disagree and move on today after all is rhino day :) And with the introduction of of two major species to the collection very sone and other works going on with other empty exhibits looks to be a very very promising year for the zoo :)

18. Benobo88

Benobo88 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Anyone know how many ground cuscus are in the collection still, & where to view them if they're on show?

19. rubymurray

rubymurray Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It looks like they've already started filling the pool in, to me. There is a very large pile of earth adjacent to it.

20. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't think there have been any on show for 5 years plus, since the new Amur leopard enclosure was opened

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.