Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by BeakerUK, 1 Jan 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benobo88

Benobo88 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Me neither, but they must still be in the collection somewhere....

2. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think this post was based on something very out of date. There have certainly been none on show for 5 years plus, not sure how long since they left completely though

Benobo88 likes this.
  3. Benobo88

Benobo88 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That’s a shame, such an incredible species & one not often seen in captivity either

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

More mayhem at Twycross this week, with special reduced halfterm offers again creating big traffic jams and delayed entry to the zoo. Zoochatters would best avoid this week...

pipaluk likes this.
  5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is probably good news for the future of the zoo if they can still pull in the visitors in these numbers ( by whatever means ), despite the loss of the elephants and before the tigers and rhino's arrive! Thanks for the info though, I will give Twycross a miss this week

Pertinax likes this.
  6. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Checks the day of the week, see's it is Thursday and says "thanks for the early warning!" :D

Pertinax likes this.
  7. Pertinax

If you read their FB there are quite a lot of unhappy people but overall more who have had a good day. I guess the zoo think its worth creating these traffic jams and entry queues to pack as many people in as possible during this week. Was considering visiting but you won't get me near there for now though.

8. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

It's great so many people want to visit, but frustrating when I am stuck with the school holidays as my main visiting times. I really need a new job!

TriUK likes this.
  9. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I think some people expect a bit too much tbh - it is sheer weight of numbers. Of course there are going to be queues. That's the price you pay for half price entry.

Zooreviewsuk likes this.
  10. littleRedPanda

In my opinion, Twycross get more facebook flack than any other zoo in the country. Some members even complain about not getting anything extra during discounted periods.

11. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

I personally don't think Twycross help themselves at times. Having chatted to a people who volunteered there, it comes across that they are happy to keep the public in the dark on most things and that only increases frustration and leaves them open to flack.

12. littleRedPanda

Dont a lot of zoos keep things to themselves though? I'm not sure the usual complaints relate to being kept in the dark anyway.

13. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I went down there last Sunday, whilst this promotion was on and to be honest I am yet to experience the traffic night mares I hear so much about. Admitiley I do go later in the day arriving about half twelve pulled straight in a got a space with no hassle in the first car park. It was very busy for February ok the weather was good last Sunday but when I went a few weeks back there was half the first car park full on the Sunday, last Sunday there was at least five full and could see cars coming out of the furthest grass car park area. To my reckoning I would say there was a 600% increase on a 50% reduction on entrance fee to me that's good business, it was more busy than I often see the place in summer weekends. I don't mind this as it is my local and to see it busy in the winter can only be a good thing for its future and sometimes the visitors are an interesting species to observe. My only gripe would be, I don't think they expected it either to be as busy as there was only the one kiosk for food, coffee ect. The one by the penguins the one by the bush dogs and zebra where shut and the quee must have been forty plus people for this at all times so didn't get a coffee.

14. Pertinax

Two main reasons; 1. there are a lot of empty enclosures currently. 2. The special deals they offer create a stampede to the zoo which their infrastructure can't really cope with.

15. littleRedPanda

I've seen as many people complain about empty enclosures at Twycross, as I have on the Chester facebook, so I don't really count those :D

16. J C

I think the infrastructure could cope with the influcs of visitor, they have the outlets in place I just fell they where caught by surprise that a winter deal could be so well received by the public. All there outlets are open in the summer so I guess having extra staff for this week was not considered. As for the road access they have posted warnings on there web site since Sunday, yet more proof as I feel they where caught of guard by the amount of success this promotion has been. I can't help but feel though this road issue should be taken on by the local council / highways agency. It's has become well know now this happens a busy time and the zoo attracts a large number of people to the local area business ect yet as a charity registered organisation feels they need to warn the public or has been suggested to sort out the traffic problem. Yet we see local authorities spend millions on searingly pointless projects around the country. Also the empty enclosures are a bit of a drag to the untrained eye, I realise that but by in large are as a result of rehousing sepices rather than species leaving the collection.

17. Pertinax

Yes, I think all zoos get those complaints, more often though its where visitors simply can't see the inmates so presume its 'empty' when it isn't. But currently at Twycross there are still several genuinely empty enclosures in prominent positions- elephant house and paddock, three(?) great ape enclosures, mary brancker longhouse/waterway area has little of interest/semi-empty, area behind Lemur walkthrough near the Tufted deer is derelict enclosures, plus the whole area of the new tiger enclosure being built and closed off. If the old world Monkey house is permanently(?) closed indoors, the outside areas may also appear empty if the monkeys can't be seen if they are inside. Obviously there will be some improvements coming soon- rhinos and tigers being two, bonobos occupying oldest gorilla house possibly a third.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2019
  18. J C

Just checked there web site and they are now fully booked for today and tommorow on pre booking so will no be letting any body else in with out a ticket don’t know if this applies to member though

19. littleRedPanda

I was there on Monday (edit: Sunday) at opening and it was busy already, but it reminded me of how poorly marked it is for the members/prepaid queue, if it was actually being utilised.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2019
  20. Pertinax

Is the interior of the main Monkey House( De Brazzas, Spectacled Langurs,Dianas) still closed?

They are mentioning members should use the prepaid entrance.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.