Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by BeakerUK, 1 Jan 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The only single sex groups I can think of at Twycross are Giraffe, Nyala and formerly the Elephants. Not sure on the Zebra. But all the primates, the leopards etc are not single sex so I wouldn't read anything much in to whether breeding pairs or single sex of other new species are obtained. Its a choice made individually species by species.

2. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

The zebra are all male, not reading in to it just seams to be a shift towards breeding large animals, primates / apes aside as you can mix these relative easy in the same quarters the extra costs they are having to build separate houseing for males / females must have some recent motivation behind them you would think

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For(Black) Rhino there would have to be seperate indoor housing and yards for males as well as a male/female pair.
    For zebra and giraffe there's not a lot of difference, maybe a seperate stall for a male but overall cost is fairly minimal. Tigers- as easy to keep a pair as single sex. Only in the case of Elephants is there a significant housing cost difference, and Twycross couldn't( or didn't) meet it in that case.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2019
  4. J C

Visited today packed again this weekend is free for the mums, so every lady over 18 managed to have children with them today ;)
    Saw and heard an few things the rhino still appears to be inside during opening times though they have now fenced of the area between the back of the zebra house and rhino house so you can't see into the new paddock area near the house so don't know if she is there. Next week there is preview viewing for members from Thursday to Sunday of the new addition. The tiger area is coming on with most of the perimeter fencing posts up and fencing going in also the tunnel has begun construction using the now infomus twycross concrete slabs used on gibbon forest and chimp Eden, looks like it will be below ground with a domed top at eye level rather than a glass tube above ground. Had to renew my pass today so had the opportunity to speak to a very chatty lady in guest services she is hopping the tiger will be open for June / July with the tigers coming from Europe though not sure where. The male rhino she believes is comeing from port lympne a two year old currently being separated from his mother and crate trained, not sure if this is correct as it seamed to me to be a big age gap as I think the female is 18 years old.

5. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Nandi was born at Lepzig zoo and is 20years old. She has only ever had 1 calf, a daughter born in 2013. Her move is hoped that when introduced to a new male that this will encourage her to conceive again. Nandi is of "genetic importance" as she has no surviving siblings.

6. J C

7. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Free for Mums and not Dads? :eek:

8. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's Mother's Day in the UK tomorrow, so I think lots of zoos are doing the 'mothers go free' promotion.

How they prove the woman is the mother of the child they're with is beyond me.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2019
    FunkyGibbon likes this.
  9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

They're co-opting the genetic testing facilities at Chester and ZSL for the purpose :p

Goura, tom1998 and Benosaurus like this.
  10. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Ah that does make sense, and a useful reminder for me as well!

11. Benosaurus

Sandra, Rachel and Clare go to the zoo.

Sandra has 3 children, Rachel has 0 children, and Clare has 0 children.

*Sees 'mothers go free' promotion*

Sandra has 1 child, Rachel has 1 child, and Clare has 1 child.

Child: "But mom, I look nothing like Clare!"
    Sandra: "Shhhh, if they ask; you're adopted."

12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

But Rachel and Claire still buy themselves (an overpriced) lunch at the zoo and a few souvenirs from the gift shop. The zoo still win

Shorts likes this.
  13. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ahh but say they took a packed lunch and brought gifts from Poundland on the way home.

14. katinakalinakaterina

katinakalinakaterina Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I suppose if they enjoy themselves they may be more likely to go again?

15. taun

taun Well-Known Member

What if they would never have gone at all?

We can play this what if game all day long.

16. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's a promotion, promotions cost money.

17. Benosaurus

The zoo is gambling as to whether the person would have visited anyway or if they'll spend any money once inside, but the fact that so many places do promotions like these year after year can only mean that in the end the zoo does indeed 'win'.

J C, taun and Zia like this.
  18. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Quite. It always makes me chuckle when promotions are criticised on here. I have a sneaking suspicion that the marketing departments of these major zoo's have more idea what works and what does not than your average member of Zoochat does.

19. J C

I am sure they do win but I once again there planning was floored in my option with the after sales only one of the four sheds / kiosks in the zoo was open again leaving people wanting to spend but frustrated by the long que for coffee, pop, lolly ect. If your going to do reduced gate fees then I would think it's only smart to have all you other income inlets open to get as much cash out of the punters as possible. That said I don't know if this was shown on here but the figures for there last promotion was 62,000 visitors at half term
    Twycross Zoo thanks visitors for record-breaking February half-term! | Twycross Zoo
    A quick bit of maths, if they ran this every day the kids where of school that would give them around 1.2 million visitors a year just when they are of school, with another 190 days for other visitors to come peacefully.

20. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

More zoos should have free days. Well done Twycross. I won't go on those days as it will be too busy but it will get people going who might otherwise not and then they may become regular visitors.

haydn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.