Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by BeakerUK, 1 Jan 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

The new rhino exhibit will be open to the public on Monday the 8th of April, next Monday with members getting previews from tommorow , they have announced along with the Easter half price or better pricing scheme with best prices booked on line the night before so worth checking before you go if they are already full on the day you plan to go Easter Holidays: ONLY £11 Adult & £5.50 Child | Twycross Zoo

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. J C

Visited on Sunday to get a look at the rhino few bits to report, the rhino is looking very settled in the house whilst we where in the she was just sat taking it all in with the keepers giving a talk on all things rhino. They confirmed the male will be coming from port lympne once he is separated from his mother and twycross is ready. Inside the house is split into three sections now with timber cladded divisions, the old elephant contact wall is still in place and looks so out of place as is about six foot higher than every thing else animals included so hope they can rectify this in the future. Currently the rhino has access outside to the yard behind the building and I think it will be a while till they get the paddocks as there is still a lot of work going on and machinery in the paddocks diggers ect so looks like the Easter opening will be in house viewing only. The tiger enclosure is also progressing with them working on the site on a Sunday again, but not on the rhino which kind of makes me think they are now prioritising the tigers more. I will upload pics on this and the rhino including the tiger tunnel. On a pervious post I said they where redeveloping the old gorilla enclosure possible for the bonobos sorry not the case the Diana monkeys have now moved in there. All in all a good day given they have offers running was busy but not over crowded as previous offer visit days.

Jola and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I noticed that in the photos and couldn't understand why they hadn't replaced it with a more suitable 'rhino barrier' to make more attractive viewing. Reason being cost?

Interesting to hear the Dianas have been moved. They will have a lot more space in there. Do you know if they have bred again yet? Four was the previous number(1.2+1)

4. J C

Not sure on the Diana’s I think there where five but I could be wrong there was def one young clinging to there mother and yes they have a lot of space compared to others when you think this exhibit used to house gorilla they look almost lost with all the space
    Was waiting for cost to be bought up I think in this case was more time, she was obviously rushed in with the brexit thing, out door exhibit no wear near ready when she arrived and still lots to do now weeks on, the cost would only be a few thousand not to replace just shorten to be more in keep with the species when you think of the millions spent in recent years and now on exhibits there they can afford it. I just hope it’s not there in twenty years as it would be a constant reminder of the elephants and something I would think they will want to move on from given the extent of the other alterations going on on the exhibit.

5. Pertinax

Thanks for reply.

Dianas- Can you go inside the old Gorilla/Diana monkey house? 'one young one clinging to the mother' sounds like a more recent birth as the older baby is already halfgrown now. I'll enquire direct...

Rhino- can understand the rush but lets hope they make the indoor better viewing for the public- I'm surprised they didn't alter at least the style of barrier before the rhino moved in though.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2019
  6. J C

Ho
    Hopefully I think it was all rushed as there was an earlier pic on here showing just breeze block walls with out the cladding so they have been continuing with work in the house whilst she was there and they have replaced all the fencing out side for similar wire rope style just lower which I was surprised at for the cost as they appear to have replaced it all posts as well I would have though it would have been cheaper to just lower the original and cut the tops of so to speak

Pertinax likes this.
  7. Pertinax

Can you go inside the old Gorilla/Diana house, or just view from outside?

8. J C

Just outside viewing as before would love to see some of these old enclosures I bet they are all like time capsules

Pertinax likes this.
  9. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Not missing much...better off going Europe for old zoo enclosures.

10. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

0.0.1 Michie’s Tufted Deer has been born:

Twycross Zoo

11. WanderingDragon

WanderingDragon Well-Known Member

This story surfaced at the end of March concerning Planckendael: Planckendael Animal Park swaps bonobos ahead of Brexit
    Looking at Zootierliste, in late 2018 Twycross received a female Bonobo from Berlin Zoo (possibly LIKEMBA but I'm not certain). There was also a family swap and working from the descriptions it looks like female LINA and her sons, LOUISOKO, LUCUMA and RUBANI moved to Twycross, with DIATOU and BANYA, and their sons KEKE and MOKONZI, moving to Belgium. It all had to be done in a rush because of something called Brexit, apparently.

Maybe because of events at Wuppertal with BILI Twycross will wait awhile before announcing such dramatic changes. I will certainly miss BANYA and her spinning!

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  12. WanderingDragon

I have been corrected: Diatou and Keke are still at Twycross, Kianga and Moko went to Belgium

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. WanderingDragon

Please could someone find out for me when Snow Leopards Eva and Ceba moved and where they moved to? Also, I had seen a report from Champrepus Zoo in France that their Sumatran Tigress Jahly is due to move to Twycross in May.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jahly is from La Boissiere. Not Champrepus

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. Willow

Willow Member

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  16. J C

Visited last Sunday bank holiday weekend got some more pics of the new tiger development I will post in media in a moment and pics of new rhino standing :) along with a better view of the old elephant protection wall and how out of place it looks for those not firmilier with the enclosure, few comments first though the rhino paddock is still a long way of being inhabited with lots of construction with in the paddock and the bridge going over the pool for the elephants looks to be, being ripped up and replaced or repaired and construction machines still in there. So currently the rhino has outdoor access to to holding area outside the house before the paddocks and only veiwable in the house. The tiger exhibit is really coming on with lots of workers still working on the bank holiday Sunday ! I would think this could mean either the tigers are due sone pre brexit ect or the zoo predicted brexit problems and put the construction company on some penelty clauses to get this job done asap as I can rember anybody working on similar exhibits at weekend never mind bank holiday

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  17. sloggervlogger

sloggervlogger Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Totally agree with all those fences. It's so frustrating now. You can't get anywhere easily. So many dead ends. Not sure what they were thinking of. Also why are all the animal plaques are missing? There is no info on any of the animals.

18. Pertinax

1. Have they got their male Rhino yet?

2. Did you see the Diana monkeys and if so is there a recent/ new baby in the group?

wayne4swfc likes this.
  19. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Only the one Rhino on view indoors only.

I saw 5 Diana monkeys, didn't notice a new baby though. Doesn't necessarily mean one wasn't clinging to its mother though as 2 stayed on the ground while the other 3 were playing above

20. Pertinax

Thanks. 5 Dianas means there must have been a 2nd birth since last year when there there only 4 (1.2.+1). That is good news.

pipaluk and Kifaru Bwana like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.