Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by rubymurray, 1 Jan 2020.

1. rubymurray

rubymurray Well-Known Member 15+ year member

{Note from mods - this thread continues from here: Twycross Zoo News 2019 [Twycross Zoo]}

There hasn't been anything new released for quite a few years, as far as I'm aware.

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Jan 2020
  2. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Nothing really since the original masterplan released about 5-6 years ago now that gives a complete picture - and even that only really covered the first 5 years in detail. But there has been a few different planning applications and presentations that give some idea to what is coming now over the next 10 years and potentially beyond.

I've pieced them together on this map, some of which are in planning right now, some of which are pulled from the original plan and then the most recent ape/education facility announcement is included too.

The key to the numbers on the map:
    1. Car park expansion (planning application in progress)
    2. New indoor family attraction (planning application in progress)
    3. Predicted focus area for 2020/2021 with new 'family/childrens zone'
    4. Area to be redeveloped over the next 10 years with brand new ape and monkey enclosures. At least 7-8 new enclosures.
    5. Area where the research and educaiton facilities are planned for.
    6. Possible expansion areas (taken from the original masterplan)
    7. Currently car parking and back of house but was highlighted as an area for a future 'tropical forest and twilight realm' development on the original master plan.
    8. Possible new main entrance from the road (taken from the original masterplan)

Attached Files:

Last edited: 1 Jan 2020
    Pertinax likes this.
  3. James Barber

James Barber Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From looking at that map, the nature reserve looks awkwardly placed causing the carpark area not to be more squarer but that's my own opinion.

It would make more sense on moving the main entrance down the road and keep the current one for service vehicles only and new enclosures.

Yes plot 4 will likely be for brand new Ape enclosures hopefully for the Gorillas, Bonobos and Orang-utans. That looks like they will relocate the Lemur walkthrough. I would like to see open air Monkey enclosures too.

Hopefully some of the other areas not numbered will also get work done.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. James Barber

James Barber Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are these plans similar to the plans that Sharon Redrobe showed on her talk as she showed plans for Black Rhino phase 2 and a new Children's Zone.

I hope the Amur Leopards, Otters, Meerkats, Tapirs and Zebras will also get a brand new enclosure during these plans, and the zoo to bring in new species.

5. jamie779

jamie779 Well-Known Member

Great. Thanks for this! Exciting times ahead!
    I would agree that they probably need a new Amur Leopard habitat. There does seem to be an issues with the animals pacing there. Having said that it is better than the housing they had before and of course, a better use of the area than Chimp Row.

6. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I would think they will have to expand the zoo ground in the next few years if they are to reach the target of a million visitors. That would be a growth roughly of 50%. During the summer months the place can often seam bursting as it is especially over the holidays, one time I was there last summer and you couldn’t see a blade of grass around the water park area and the main path through the zoo was constantly packed edge to edge I couldn’t imagine this with 50% more visitors. Hopefully new expansion will also bring new species as much as I agree the current exhibits of some of the animals need a revamp I also wouldn’t want 10 years of rehousing and would love the collection to be regular added to just no more monkeys please :)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Aren't there ongoing issues regarding traffic during peak periods? Surely these need to be addressed if they are hoping to keep swelling there footfall.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

The large increase in visitor numbers (around 16%?) has been achieved by massive and continuous discounting. From what I can find out revenue is actually down, despite the footfall increase. This is puzzling - does anyone know the reasoning...?

9. J C

So I have heard though never actually seen the traffic problem myself, prob go to late in the day to witness. If they go ahead with a new entrance further down the road hopefully they will keep the current one as an exit and use the new as an entrance or visa vers to help relive the traffic rather than just moving it further down the road.

10. J C

I would think there finances are in good order certainly better than a few years and given recent large expenditures of new enclosure I wouldn’t be suprised if they where mapmaking a small loss. I’m not sure but being a charity are they even allowed to make profits on end of year balance sheets

11. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Hasn't this been discussed before, maybe in another thread. You said yourself that zoos only keep a small portion of the gate fees and someone else remarked on how little the zoo actually gets from the food outlets. I've certainly noticed over the last few years that people are requesting 'free' days on TZs facebook for one purpose or another almost weekly, much more than any other zoo.

Andrew Swales likes this.
  12. Andrew Swales

Charities are certainly 'allowed' to make profits. The opposite is actually the case; they are not allowed to run at a loss, ie be insolvent. Huge discounts often devalue the core product in the eyes of the consumer, and their continuous use is hard to reverse. There has to be a motive behind the desire for huge footfall, with all its attendant issues...

Shorts likes this.
  13. Andrew Swales

Zoo catering is very fickle... Income can be high, but is often very difficult to predict volume and demand. Costs (especially labour) and wastage can easily out-strip sales. The bigger the organisation the more complicated it becomes and the risks of actual losses are greater. This is reason for the often criticised 'lowest common denominator' Zoo catering.

cliffxdavis likes this.
  14. haydn

Based on the last trustees report (accounts up to 31 December 2018) the zoo saw a revenue increase of alsmot £500k between 2017 and 2018. From £11.05m to £11.5m. There is reference to a one off 'exceptional cost' (not Chimp Eden related) that led to a £200k loss for the financial year - otherwise the zoo would have made a profit of around £60-100k which considering the scale of investment, that's a very strong position to be in - hence why the banks seem comfortable funding a further 10 years of major developments.

Source: Charity Details

Edit:

Reference retail and catering, according to the report catering was contracted to a third party at the start of 2017. The zoo still benefits largely from the onsite catering, with retail and catering contributing about £4.5m to zoos revenue in 2018 and a profit of £900k. This is an increase of £500k on the previous year so the partnership seems to be in the zoos best interests right now.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2020
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I recall this is/was due to the zoo basically subcontracting out the catering -i.e. they receive a guaranteed fixed, if fairly low, fee from the caterers and the caterers get to keep what they make after that -i.e. Twycross has passed off the risk and reward of the situation.

pipaluk and FunkyGibbon like this.
  16. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Note that investment has no direct impact on profit (though associated depreciation may have a small future impact). Investment is generally paid for from either surplus cash generated from trading profits or borrowings/grants.

From an accounting perspective a profit or loss of £100k on £11m turnover would be considered as materially break-even and nothing to get too positive about in itself, as very little would need to change to potentially cause problems -that said, it's more complex than that as profit/loss can be considerably different to cashflow (which is more relevant, at least in the short term).

Kifaru Bwana and haydn like this.
  17. haydn

Usually for a business yes, but the zoo are funding about half of the development costs through normal activities and its being charged against charity costs. For example, there is £1.7m of 'building costs' within the breakdown of 'charitable activities' expenditure (page 29). This makes sense I guess for a conservation charity, as improved enclosures aid conversation.

Shorts likes this.
  18. Andrew Swales

Presumably this is for the year before last, when as I understand it the heavy discounting started, initially intended only to be short term and a response to the bad weather named by the media as the 'beast-from-the-east' ie snow in March. It will be very interesting to watch the results of the permanent adoption of this approach.

19. haydn

The zoo have announced today, on Facebook and their website, record breaking visitor numbers and revenue in 2019.

Visitor numbers were quoted as 644,000, up from 580,000 in 2018. They don’t quote a number for revenue, only that it was record breaking. So it would seem the alleged excessive discounting isn’t really an issue.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2020
  20. Andrew Swales

11% up on footfall, I make that? If they haven't quoted the revenue increase, then presumably you will have to wait for the Trustees report, before you can judge if it is an issue or not?

cliffxdavis likes this.