Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by rubymurray, 1 Jan 2020.

1. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There is an argument that the bigger zoos should generate enough revenue for a decent "rainy day fund" (similar to the government not covering anyone's wages above £2,500 per month). A few years back it used to be Twycross' policy to aim to have enough cash reserves to close for a sustained period (it may have been up to a year, possibly following the foot and mouth closures)-I'm not sure whether they ever achieved this.

The reality, of course, is that most zoos roll spare cash into new enclosures or facilities. I suspect this policy will change in the future. :(

2. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Yes, you are right pipaluk. Rateable value for zoos is set at a simple percentage multiplier of gross turnover. It takes no account of an organisations ability to pay, or profitability. At Hamerton we have formally appealed this twice and lost at tribunal both times, so it is set! Our r/v is £38,000 p/a, so Twycross' must be massively higher. Of course as far as the annual business rates themselves are concerned, they will pay none (or little) as they are a charity, whereas we have to pay it all.

The £25k you mention is a grant to all leisure 'businesses' in the band running up to £51k. Over £51k the grant is zero. The £25k is around 6, maybe 8, days running costs at Hamerton, so it didn't last very long here either!

As this general leisure grant was announced some weeks ago and the funds have already been distributed via the local councils, surely Dr Redrobe today appears not to be tweeting about this, but about the newly announced Zoo Fund? This was certainly the matter raised in Parliament by their MP.

Presumably (?) her timing and tweeting is because the announcement in Parliament has stopped public donations (which were trickling in nicely) pretty much completely. Despite the headline figures reported, we still wait for some detail and hopefully less confusion, but day-to-day yet again our only income stream has been decimated.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2020
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Andrew Swales

Molly had lived through the FMD outbreak I remember my father telling me about; I think it was 1967? I recall her telling me that 'they' (Twycross) had a years running costs in the bank 'in case they close us again'. Word was that when she died she had actually increased this to two years costs in the bank, but I dont know the truth of this. Whatever the figure, it was soon spent by her successors who rapidly turned a legacy into a large debt.

Sand Cat likes this.
  4. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I was thinking more current specials to support the zoos rather than repeats, ok use old footage of the animals to keep social distance but more high light there need for support and put it in the public domain, governments face more. Apart for on here and zoo members emails I would think the larger portion of the public are unaware the zoo almost live on a day to day bases and are unable to close to prevent out goings to there cash flows.

5. jamie779

jamie779 Well-Known Member

True re large debt, let's remember it was Dr Redrobe, who turned it around and put the place on track towards its "Masterplan." Not ideal if it goes into debt to survive this, but at least it would survive.....

6. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

True and let’s not forget the master plan is backed by natwest which would have looked into the zoo before hand and realised there both investable potential and had the confidence to invest the large sums they are so hopefully they can stick to there guns also and help them through this temporary set back, if they did have money’s put away for this which hopefully they do still have, the current drive for donations could “ and I am not saying they are “ but could be coming in line with other zoos they wouldn’t look good either being the only ones not asking for help in the community and let’s be honest a years worth or even two might not be enough we just don’t know how long this will go on, I heard the other day for some wear they couldn’t see sports or event happening again this year so who knows when the leisure industry will open again

7. jamie779

So, depending on what happens at the weekend we may all be allowed outside exercise... hopefully, the zoo will be able to open in some capacity, if they allow for social distancing. I hope so. It is really distressing to think that they are struggling with no income. ( As is the case for the wider zoo community.)

8. Andrew Swales

Only if they allow people to drive, rather than banning/fining them - there can't be enough people within walking or cycling distance of Twycross, surely...?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. jamie779

So, I think the PM said we can drive to places for outdoor exercise? ( Not sure?) But I hope that is the case and TZ and open to visitors, in at least some capacity....

10. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

He did say that. I think we'll need to wait the full document tomorrow to know if it's enough to let zoos open, but it's a step in that direction at the very least.

14556 and jamie779 like this.
  11. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Johnson did say that but then said he hoped some of the leisure and hospitality sector might be open by July! Being pessimistic I took this possibly to mean zoos! I think I am probably over pessimistic and you likewise optimistic hoping for a reopening soon!

Zoonut likes this.
  12. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

As things stand I think zoos will be somewhere in between. The word from journos who were 'briefed' after the speech is that the July part was thinking of partial openings of cafes and restaurants. At the least, I can't think of any good reason why you would still have zoos closed when cafes are starting to open, so I think tje start of that phase is the latest it would make sense to keep zoos waiting to open. But of course this is assuming both the pandemic and the population behave themselves and, of course, that the government did actually apply sense in making the plan..!

pipaluk likes this.
  13. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I hope you are right and if they are talking about schools even partially reopening in June, outdoor attractions should be allowed to re-open by then I guess?!

14. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That’s what I read into that statement too.

15. bintarong

bintarong Well-Known Member

Hi, is there any news on where or what the rhino phase 2 or penguin cove is ?

16. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not that I’ve seen. My guess on the Rhino phase two would be a new purpose built house adjacent to the existing enclosure. Demolishing then the old elephant house would then allow the zoo to better landscape and open up the area around Chimp Eden and the Giraffes too.

Not sure about Penguin Cove, but probably just a bigger and better enclosure.

17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Contradicting the advice and instructions donned out to zoos and financial support from Government. Where the latter is denied on the grounds that Govt. never shut down zoos for COVID19. It is a blatant and almost bizarre lie.

I think a new rhino indoor accommodation may be some time off. You might want to write the zoo want they think and have planned now .... living off their financial reserves.

18. haydn

Absolutely. I don’t think we’ll see much change to what exhibits/issues they plan to tackle as part of the continued redevelopment. As a lot of it needs to be done. But there is almost certainly going to be some rethinking on timescales and scale.

That said, there is strong argument for continuing to invest as much as possible to aid a return to growth as quickly as possible - but they will need to make sure they choose the right things and focus on the improvements that attract the most visitors for the least investment initially. Much like the early days of the redevelopment plan.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. bintarong

bintarong Well-Known Member

Does anyone know whats inside the children zone for the re-development, as its the next project on the list. Also do you have to pay extra for it once its finished ??

20. haydn

No information has yet been shared. The zoo does have planning permission to build an indoor attraction/show building in the area of the current pets corner - but the plans gave away nothing on what would be inside.