Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by rubymurray, 1 Jan 2020.

1. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Will be good to see Twycross’s after this is all over in terms of giving the grounds a chance to be rested and rejuvenated with out the crowds of visitors it may benefit the grounds and muddy areas being given spring to regrow especially around the new tiger enclosure to establish its self rather than being mounds of mud and of course the same for other collections they could all look very different when we get back inside

TriUK, haydn and Benosaurus like this.
  2. J C

Good job the children’s zone is next then, animals for show soft play for dough :(;)

3. jamie779

jamie779 Well-Known Member

Yes, me too. I am anxious about the place and I was hoping that it would be able to reopen for outdoor exercise, in some capacity. It doesn't look like that will happen for a while though...

4. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Some sad news, Chimpanzee Tojo has passed away this morning while recovering from anesethitic. She had been "under the weather for a couple of days" as taken from Facebook. She was 43yrs old. Condolences to all the keepers

5. jamie779

This is terrible news. I loved Tojo. TZ are really going through the mill at the moment, with this, loosing Rosie and the closure.

6. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to Facebook Twycross Zoo will be reopening soon but don't know the date just yet

7. J C

Twycross have announced on there web site there reopening plans WE'RE RE-OPENING SAFELY SOON | Twycross Zoo they haven’t given a date guess yet like some others so rant takeing any pre bookings but the rest of the measures look the same, though they are going to be booking time slots for entry which you have stick to, not sure if others have mentioned this yet and are looking to allow 5% of they capacity in per day to start increasing this to 30% over time though it doesn’t put a figure on this

8. J C

9. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Sharon Redrobe posted this:
    "Such a rollercoaster weekend.
    Planning to re open the zoo and unfurlough staff after putting in place a plethora of measures to be ‘Covid secure’ following government guidelines. And to stem the significant ongoing losses and start to rebuild our contribution to our local economy and people’s well-being (a large open air space with numbers capped and managed).
    But then called to an emergency meeting this afternoon to be told that a change of law is coming into force tonight meaning we have to stay closed. Until at least July. Maybe later. Despite our rural location and social distancing and hygiene measures - because they don’t want to create ‘nuances’ for the public to get confused so all zoos are grouped together and merged with aquariums and ‘indoor attractions’.
    Despite different risk profiles.
    Despite a raft of (non-managed?) gardens, parks, beaches, shops and more shops and water parks being allowed to open.
    Where’s the logic? And we have animals to care for!!
    So frustrating.
    It’s going to be a long year.
    Stay safe everyone.
    And please support us anyway you can. "

Anna11 likes this.
  10. J C

haydn likes this.
  11. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

J C likes this.
  12. J C

Just looked at the bookings and doing some quick maths looks like they are booking 2000 a day till the end of the month then ramping up to 3000 in July per day taking in 250 every half hour for a start then 350 every half hour in July will be interesting how well there social distance works when they all rock up at the start of there slots

Maguari likes this.
  13. Maguari

I booked in the very first slot of the day so at least there can't be a backlog at that point! :D

14. Maguari

Also posted this in the main zoo re-opening thread, but posting here as well as it's relevant. :)

Today was my first post-lockdown zoo day at Twycross. Generally very little I can pick fault with in how they handled it - I did three loops of the one-way system over 5 hours and only once got into a significant queue, which was quickly spotted and eased through by a member of zoo staff (it was a bottleneck caused by a baby L'hoest's Guenon, so forgiveable! :D ). I think they've pitched their numbers very well - the zoo is running with decent capacity but never too crowded to distance and the time slots and one-way seemed to work in keeping it evenly busy across the site rather than have crowds in popular areas. Only a very few people weren't trying to keep distance and I think I noticed only 4 or 5 groups who weren't following the one-way system. They're using the normal gift shop with the same approach as high street shops use as this is of course outside the zoo proper (only this and the takeaway coffee stand are accessible in Himalaya).

Saw almost all the mammals and birds you normally would - the only exceptions I can think of being:

- because they only have one outdoor exhibit per species you can only see one of the chimp/bonobo groups at a time

- most of the small domestics, the butterfly house, the aviaries between the pet buildings and the 'longhouse' aviary aren't accessible

- the infamous leaf-cutter ant toilet display is off show as the Himalaya toilets are closed

- the Pileated Gibbons are only visible at a distance and with great luck at the moment (these were the only mammal species I didn't see at all)

Think that's it - otherwise things are all on show in their outdoor enclosures and accessible (including the Snow Leopards via the end window, which is the last thing on the one-way tour). The rhinos were indoors as usual but although you can't go in the house you can see the rhinos through the windows. As you can also walk up to the windows in the pet building doors, you can even see the gundis (at a distance).

Very good day. (Actually far more enjoyable than my last 'normal' Twycross visit - absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that!).

Last edited: 20 Jun 2020
  15. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

1. So we don't know if the leafcutter ants are social distancing properly...:D

2. Why are the Pileated gibbons harder to see, just because you can't go in the indoor area?

3. You said 'rhinos' plural so have they got their second rhino now?

16. Maguari

Yes and no - all of the species in Gibbon Forest still seem to make much more use of the indoor enclosure than the out, but even the main outdoor viewing for the Pileateds is accessed through the house, as it's round the back of the building - so is currently not a thing. The path to the 'gibbon' toilet block is also blocked off currently, which would let you get closer and probably give you an angle to spot them in the doorway, so no joy there either. The only viewing for them is a distant view down to their climbing poles and you'd be very lucky to spot one. Hopefully they'll be able to open the house soon. There is accessible viewing for the other three species (Agile, N. White-cheeked, and Siamang) so as long as they come outside, or at least to their doorways, these can all be seen fine.

Gonna be honest, in my head they had but I stopped looking after I saw the first one today so I cannot claim certainty on this - I could be mistaken! :D

17. Maguari

Decided this was a rubbish description, the attached should make it easier! Red is where paths are closed off, pink is the accessible pathways. Should give an idea of how hard the Pileateds are just at the moment compared to the others!

Attached Files:

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  18. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, thanks for that. I forgot how the Pileated outdoor area is less viewable than the others...mind you I hardly ever see any of the gibbons there outdoors.

Maguari likes this.
  19. jamie779

Great description, thanks for posting. I do hope the zoo ( and all the others in the UK actually) are able to claw back some revenue and get through this. As I have said before it seems they have a good executive team, who know what they are doing.

Maguari likes this.
  20. Maguari

Yes, of all the previous Twycross managements I'm very glad this is the one that had to face this crisis..!

Shorts, jamie779 and Pertinax like this.