Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by rubymurray, 1 Jan 2020.

1. bintarong

bintarong Well-Known Member

2. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Have Twycross received the same backlash that Paignton had from all quarters when the words ‘cull’ or ‘euthanasia’ were used?

bintarong likes this.
  3. bintarong

Yes they have,people are asking if there's not another option and zoo just said its not final but they are still talking to the government about funding

4. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

The director of Neumünster received widespread criticism for saying the same right at the start...
    It has been used as a tactic to try to boost donations several times since by zoos of varying sizes, quite successfully sometimes (in the short-term at least) - so the temptation (and desperation) is/are understandable...

bintarong and TriUK like this.
  5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Mass Cull? I couldn't imagine any of Twycross' valuable primate collection ever being 'culled' or many of their other species for that matter. Most would I'm sure under EEP directives, be subsumed into other collections, if they ever had to close. Of course, there would be some that were problematic to rehouse though- the common chimpanzees might be one example. I think this statement is designed to shock, rather than there being any possibility of the reality.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2020
    bintarong and pipaluk like this.
  6. jamie779

jamie779 Well-Known Member

It is a horrible state of affairs. The government have made £100 million available, but the zoo has to be down to the last few weeks funding? It makes no sense. I assume that this awful statement has been made to show the seriousness of the situation and who can blame them?

bintarong likes this.
  7. Andrew Swales

Yes - I have always been surprised by the media's total acceptance of the 'we're going to have to start shooting everything' statement as a way for drumming up donations... without any further grilling...
    As they are normally so sceptical and negative, the expected response would be either - 'go on then' we don't believe you' - or, maybe - 'as a professional, just how would you physically do that? For example, which Vets would euthanase, perfectly healthy, potentially genetically important individuals of an (endangered?) species in the eyes of the World's press'.
    Maybe they do have contingency plans on how it would be done, but they haven't been asked about them.

Pertinax and bintarong like this.
  8. bintarong

Maybe not the primates but certainly more domesticated species or bird species or even certain mammals

9. Andrew Swales

Does that imply that they have a 'list', or some kind of ranking...? - another subsequent question that could have listed...

bintarong likes this.
  10. bintarong

I assumed going from ICUN status and popularity or animals like tufted deer which are due to leave anyways for the master plan. Could even be surplus animals like zebras which are an all male group.

11. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I am sure also it’s part of raising awareness of how desperate times are for not just Twycross but all zoos and get the air time on tv needs story’s like this now it would seam. If chester didn’t make the news the other week they probably wouldn’t be open now and this 100 million wouldn’t have come to light. Ultimately it may well be nessesary if a large collection where to close as no one can afford there own animals at the moment let along taking on a whole other zoo if only a few species each so better to let the powers that know now to give them a week or two to come up with the solution or better the cash than them realising when it’s to late

bintarong likes this.
  12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't believe any of this will happen as I am sure in the event of closure that even the domestics and birds and commoner mammal species not wanted by any other zoos would still all be found homes too, by a combination of rescue centres, aviculturists etc. I think the zoo is simply using shock tactics to try to obtain more financial help- I don't blame them at all for using whatever methods they have to hand to achieve that as they must be pretty desperate now but I can't see closure happening either.

bintarong likes this.
  13. Andrew Swales

The trouble with shock tactics, is they can provoke a response of disbelief - as you said yourself, in my bold above.

Does Chester make a fair comparison? - I am sure they firmly distanced themselves from the 'euthanasia scenario' first touted by Neumünster and then used by a series of mainly small zoos, till now.
    Twycross has firmly placed itself over the past few years with massive discounting and a 'pile-em-in-cheap, and in massive numbers' policy - and then presumably sell them lots of secondary spend when they are in. Presumably this business decision and model will now be subject to scrutiny as part of the grant-application process, and by the lenders already funding their developments.

bintarong likes this.
  14. J C

Sure I would include chester as well as every other zoo in the country small or large. It’s might be that if a zoo closed in normal times through financial mismanagement its stock would be absorbed into other collections but these aren’t those times. All collections are on the bread line at the moment with uncertain futures and I would fear once one goes many will follow quickly, it’s not like it’s a single case of mismanagement going one everyone is on a level playing field as to lose of income just there size to how much they lose and how much they cost to run is the differences. So although other collections may not have said about euthanasia I would think it has been though of even behind closed doors as a possible last resort. As for twycross I can’t blame them for having the ball# to speak up and show the seriousness of the situation

bintarong likes this.
  15. J C

Isn’t Sharon a vet by trade ?

16. Andrew Swales

We beg to differ I am afraid. I personally would differentiate between those collections which have ruled out euthanasia, and those which threaten it, even if you dont.
    Which zoos have closed due to 'financial miss-management in normal times' ?
    And, no - I don't agree that every single zoo is in an identical position. The very opposite is actually the case - every single situation is unique...

So far as I know, yes she is - do you really mean she intends to do it herself..?

Kifaru Bwana and bintarong like this.
  17. J C

Sorry I didn’t realise some collections have come out publicly and ruled out euthanasia which are these ? I thought the rest where just not commenting on it, I though all zoos have been closed for approx the same time thus loading the same relative income to there relative costs equally and no of course I don’t think she would do it nor allow it to be done in reality just saying the comments have come from a vet

18. Andrew Swales

If the
    If the general consensus is that she wouldn't do it or allow it to be done, then the threat to do so to the media and Government, is either brave or fool-hardy, or both...
    It didnt work in Neumünster...

19. J C

I don’t see how it didn’t work true there is no immediate response from the government but when os there ever give them a week or so, but it’s out there now the public can discuss and we have on here all day which will highlight the lengths that may, may have to be taken. Better to raise awareness before any action than after in my book

20. Andrew Swales

OK - I'll leave it there then.