Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2021

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by jamie779, 2 Jan 2021.

1. jamie779

jamie779 Well-Known Member

{Note from mods - this thread continues from here: Twycross Zoo News 2020 [Twycross Zoo]}

I knew they were cousins, but not about Jahly's inbreeding. Is that why she is cross eyed?

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Jan 2021
  2. bintarong

bintarong Well-Known Member

Without proper records of her birth they assume that it is some previous inbreeding in her genetics. She hasn't had any recorded injuries for her eye to look like that either

There wasn't and still isn't , however with a major decline in the profit and already stable introductions,Twycross may have to breed them to bring in guests. The facility is capable of holding cubs.

Unsure currently, Twycross is mainly focusing on trying to generate a safety net so they can survive another major lock down.

3. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

There wasn't and still isn't , however with a major decline in the profit and already stable introductions,Twycross may have to breed them to bring in guests. The facility is capable of holding cubs.

I would hope they do the right thing here and there introduction attempts are just to prove they can and give there keepers practice in doing so for the future and also possibly a scare tactic to help them secure a breeding pair sonner rather than later as there seams to be a lot of tiger movements recently with Twycross being over looked. I do feel they have been over looked with both the tigers and rhino, having invested in to great facilities for these and been given two pairs of duds for holding as it appears for the stud books. When I would think the various organisations and stud books could really help a lot of zoos out by giving them all breeding pairs now to give them a baby boom for a short time in the larger crowd pullers to help them survive.

bintarong likes this.
  4. Rajang21

Rajang21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's not a studbook coordinator's job to manufacture baby booms across zoo populations. Non-breeding holders can be equally important to an EEP/ESB.

5. J C

I get that non breeding is an important part as they have and still do now at Twycross with the giraffes and zebra all Male groups, but when they have created multi million pound facility’s that are obviously for breeding purposes to be given non breed pairs is not very fair in my opinion

bintarong likes this.
  6. Rajang21

There are waiting lists for high-demand species, and especially breeding pairs/groups. Twycross will have known this when they applied to partake in the EEP. It's entirely fair.

bintarong and TNT like this.
  7. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I couldn't agree with you more - this is common practice for zoos, especially when holding a species for the first time (The black rhino).

Look at Noahs Ark - They have great facilities for their Andean Bears and Elephants. Only recently did they receive a breeding pair of bears, after holding the brothers Tupa and Sonco for a number of years. They still hold a bachelor group of African Elephants, and I'm sure they will for much longer.

bintarong, pipaluk and Rajang21 like this.
  8. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Firstly, if they paid "multi-millions" for that tiger enclosure they were seriously burned.

Secondly, where do you propose any genetically unimportant offspring should be housed/sent to (or would you have them culled)?

9. J C

Yet folly farm opened there black rhino exhibit with a breeding group !

10. Rajang21

Except they didn’t - they received 1.1 in 2015, then received a second female two years later. It is the second female that has bred.

Embu and TNT like this.
  11. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Maybe the EEP required a breeding group at that time, rather than a non breeding situation. Zoos will go with what is asked of them by the species coordinators (most of the time)... When the time is right, I'm sure that TZ will receive a breeding pair. We shall just have to wait and see.

12. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The first female that arrived is Manyara who has never bred and is 23yrs this year. She was surplus at Chester(where she was born) so was an ideal individual for a first time holder. Plus Chester were still left with 0:4 breeding females.

TNT and Rajang21 like this.
  13. J C

Firstly, it’s apparently what they cost these days thou I think it is expensive they got a better deal than London or Chester did for there lion enclosures.
    Secondly, I’m not saying they should be culled nor or they they just aren’t a genetically match and could breed with others still, if they where to be a holding zoo though they could have just extended / bought up to date there old enclosure rather than investing in what is obviously a new enclosure set up for breeding

14. J C

Ok I get that and I don’t want to get in to a argument over this but when that opened there exhibit they knew they where getting the other rhino the fact it took two years is unknow but I suspect they expected her earlier as they announced here arival on opening day

15. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Really...?
    I can assure that it is NOT 'what they cost these days...'

16. J C

[/QUOTE]
    Yes well a million for the tigers and then the second paddock, conversion of the first paddock and house For the rhino which I would imagine given there recent costs of enclosure cost close to a million so yes just mulit million just

17. WanderingDragon

WanderingDragon Well-Known Member

On one visit, shortly after the new enclosure opened, I was told she was cross-eyed because she was hand-reared - cubs focus on the bottle of milk, causing their eyes to cross!

They were sent a non-breeding pair as a 'starting point', but had hoped for a breeding pair. In view of the ban on big cat breeding (certainly for Amur Leopards, and any tigers born currently will have to be retained by the collection where they were born for at least 3 years), its probably a good thing that Twycross didn't get a breeding pair of Sumatran tigers.

bintarong likes this.
  18. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe that the current breeding female Dakima was a replacement or a second choice as the original female(Mala?)who arrived at Port Lympne from abroad was destined for here but she sadly died before she could be moved, skin condition i heard it was but unsure how much truth there is in that.

19. J C

Ok I didn’t know that I had assumed they where some what rushed in what was pre first Brexit as there arrived just in time of the first attempt before the exhibit was even due to be opened

20. J C

Sorry just read you post and have got my species and collections mixed up