Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2021

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by jamie779, 2 Jan 2021.

1. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

A new video is on Facebook about the grant money with Sharon and Luke looks like this will happen in the next two years Log into Facebook | Facebook

2. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The ‘take home’ from this is that she does not talk about exhibits/enclosures, rather just the research & learning-spaces…., almost politician-esque in her delivery!
    I wish Twycross, ‘in Bosworth’, the very best in the future. Good luck to them.

JT likes this.
  3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Perhaps because they need to promote this side of it well in advance to get interest? The enclosures will take care of themselves.

TriUK likes this.
  4. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

….and/or to justify the cash!

Pertinax likes this.
  5. J C

So the new science center will give the study students a better environment to do there work, which to be fair I do see there quite a bit observing the apes behaviour for hours / days on end. This I would think would be great for them and provide better results I guess when they aren’t being hassled by the likes of myself on individuals as I always find them a great source of knowledge sometimes better than the ones giving the talks. And free from the distractions of the kids and some times adults banging the glass to provoke the animals. So I would hope this could be a great idea and hopefully improve the lives of the animals in question all over the zoo world and in the wild but I do wonder for this to work and them to observe them in a more natural come scientific way if some of the apes will be of show to the general public so as not be be distracted or influence there results. Also if Twycross, Bristol, YWP are all building new gorilla enclosures Easter 2023 could well be a gorilla fest

6. Pertinax

I doubt it. If you think of Chimp Eden for example, the only way they could be offshow (without closing the whole exhibit) is in the offshow dens where behaviour is probably the least natural. They might have little observation hides or roped off areas around the enclosures reserved for the students' use perhaps?

Is YWP definately building for Gorillas now?

7. J C

Not definitely just going on the speculation around the golf thing said on here

Pertinax likes this.
  8. J C

Just got back from a visit this afternoon not expecting much to be honest from previous visit but a few things of note,
    * the tigers have swapped sides was great to see the male in the on show indoor side showing his teeth to the guest and the female out side in the second enclosure never seen any tiger in there before
    * the orangutans in door house is still all fenced
    * the Mara have been moved from the old chimp enclosure to the former kangaroo enclosure I guess the is for the new development
    * all the birds are of show for bird flu precautions
    * there are now monkeys in the former bonobo house, no signage for them but they looked like L’hoest’s monkeys
    * didn’t see the dik dik either inside or out but the lights where on in the houses so guess they found a new hiding spot
    * did see the tufted deer though
    * saw the gorillas mating and being very active today with in the house
    All in all surprising visit, for a afternoon visit on a cold, misty winters day

hjkr, JT and James Barber like this.
  9. hjkr

hjkr Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was told the Orangutan indoor area will be unfenced 'within the coming weeks' and was done to give them some privacy after Kibriah passed away. This was only last week so possibly after Christmas/end of Jan time we will be able to see the indoor area again.

Would be great to have another baby gorilla soon. Any ideas which female?

10. Pertinax

The only breeding female is Ozala. Biddy is probably too old now and sadly Asante is so humanised she has never bred- which is a great pity as she is the only offspring of a wildcaught female (Eva). The only hope for her is possibly if one of the younger males impregnated her. Its possible Ozala is contracepted, if they don't want any more male babies, though I do not know that. If not then she most likely will breed again sometime soon.

11. hjkr

hjkr Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes I didn't think of possible contraception as Lope is getting older. I wasn't aware Asante didn't try to breed, I just thought she hadn't successfully bred. I wonder if Lope will be moving on soon or if he'll stay a bit longer.

12. Pertinax

Asante doesn't relate to the silverback Oumbie. When he arrived she had to be temporarily removed from the group as she was so badly stressed, whereas mother-raised Ozala was soon mating with him. Asante (with Biddy as support) was later reintroduced after Oumbie became more settled, but I'm sure they(Oumbie/Asante) never mate.

My personal opinion is that Lope and Shufai will stay at Twycross as the basis for a bachelor group- as bachelor facilities are included in the new plans.

13. J C

Pretty sure it was biddy

14. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Unlikely to breed and could be just building/maintain relationships.

Pertinax likes this.
  15. Pertinax

Yes, afaik he still mates with her, but she hasn't had a baby since Ozala and that was 27 years ago now.

JT likes this.
  16. jamie779

jamie779 Well-Known Member

Not relevant, but a keeper once told me that Asante was flirting with me, through the glass, because she is so humanised. Clearly, desparate too. HAHAHAHAHA