Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2021

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by jamie779, 2 Jan 2021.

1. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I would think most of it would be delayed or at least shuffled around priority wish for there original schedule. I wouldn’t much will happen for at least twelve months after the vaccines are all out, just to allow them to refind there feet and be sure there isn’t a further resurgence or more lockdown conditions to weather. That said when they do begin renewing the zoo again I would like to see them adding to the collection rather than rehousing there current collection, which was mostly what the master plan involved. Don’t get me wrong I total agree the apes could all do with better exhibits ( less the chimps now ) but seeing as cash flow will be tight I wonder if they might follow Dudley’s example of public fundraising to at least cover part of the costs of new exhibits for existing animals. Allowing them to bring back some of the historical species they used to hold, thus allowing them to grow as they where before the pandemic.

Tafin, Trudie, jamie779 and 1 other person like this.
  2. bintarong

bintarong Well-Known Member

On the masterplan the only new animals imported appear are for the new kids zone,penguin expansion, rhino expansion or the bachelor gorilla exhibit.

I hope they expand the collection, bringing back tigers were a massive boost with the rhinos. Colleges on the site have always mentioned hippos ,sun bears , Asiaitic lions or more hoofstock to diversify the collection. Obviously its priority is primates but visitors will want to see more. Other thing mentioned is baboons or mandrills. Would alll be interesting for the site!

3. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

Any of them would be exciting lol

4. jamie779

jamie779 Well-Known Member

It is exciting for sure and I am looking forward to seeing more of it unfold. Have they confirmed it will be two groups of gorillas?

5. J C

I Would also hope they realise if they are to grow the zoo they need new species to attract more visitors, looking at the master plan to spend the next ten years basically rehousing ( though to a much better and needed standard ) I would feel disappointed if the zoo was basically the same species wise in ten years. Like you say bring in the rhino and tigers was a massive step forward for them large mammal and big teeth bought them an increase of 10% on visitor numbers in 2019 according to the report, a trend I would think they need to continue after the pandemic. I think they could do with some more staple zoo animals such as red pandas, camels, bears ect along with something more unique to help the visitor experience whilst the zoos being overhauled. Something to distract the general veiw of it wasn’t the best day we had out, but we saw the ...... perhaps okapi, tree kangaroo of a return of Malayan tapir. Of course the current enclosure s of the apes especially will also need renewing also but I hope they can do this along side renewing the collection and the zoo as a whole.

Tafin, pipaluk and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. J C

Another thing I pick up on the report, page 8
    52,000 visited our staffed enclosures for a close encounter with some of our animals.
    Is this referring to there visitor experiences are they really that popular they must a massive money spinner for the zoo if they are o_O

7. jamie779

jamie779 Well-Known Member

The price of them makes me think...surely not??

8. J C

It must be a typo for 5 200, 52 000 would roughly be one in ten of there visitors for the year :). Still a good return for them at 5 200

bintarong likes this.
  9. bintarong

bintarong Well-Known Member

Not 100%, Images from 2030 video and website show females and 1 male on one and quiet a few silverbacks on the furthest island. Staff have also mentioned the EEP's enforcement on bachelor facilities due to the rapid increase in male births.

I was confused as well :D Someone told me that its in reference to the walkthrough enclosures (butterflies, lemurs and lorikeets) which have to be staffed

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

An additional group would almost certainly be males for the reasons you describe. They already have two young males(Lope & Shufai) in their existing group which will have to be removed at some stage though not yet. I could see them forming the basis of a male group, perhaps using one of the empty ape houses if new building hasn't already happened by then- which seems very likely. Possibly Gernot from London Zoo might be a contender, and there's a similar-aged male in Belfast too.

11. J C

Kifaru Bwana and bintarong like this.
  12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The article mentioned they had to halt the import of a female black rhino from Estonia too quite recently.

Now, I am not going to be that pun daddy, no thank you. But it is absolutely preposterous that DEFRA has been so ill prepared to deal with any of this that forms simply do not exist. This also makes one wonder how is the UK going to handle imports/exports of cattle and domestic animals.

13. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

The situation is not as one-sided as you imply. We are waiting for permits to export to the Czech Republic and the delays are caused on the other side, by new requirements from the importing country imposed by the EU, and slow/non issuing of import CITES permits (we have the UK exports ok) for spp which would not have previously needed them.

14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The wording in the article is quite different from what you suggest here. You are talking about a case where you are the exporter and CZ is the importing country within the EU.

However, since the UK has opted out of the EU realm all this including delays was to be expected as the UK no longer complies with nor conforms to pre-existing EU regulations (no longer free trade and movement of goods and people). May I remind you that the UK Government almost pre-Christmas concluded a new deal over the old Theresa May one with the EU and this torpedo'd sufficient timing between conclusion of this and streamlining administrative import and export regulations and documentations in the UK and overseas in EU before the deal came into full effect on Jan. 1st.

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Feb 2021
    NigeW and giant_anteater like this.
  15. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

I did not 'suggest' anything, and used it as an example of expected delays on both sides - not as a direct comparison.

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Feb 2021
  16. WanderingDragon

WanderingDragon Well-Known Member

Just been speaking to someone local to Twycross and they tell me that local press reported the birth of a bonobo recently (two to three weeks ago). I'm not sure if they were confusing this with Lola's birth, but it seems unlikely. I haven't been able to find any news of it online. Can any one confirm it, please?

Tafin and JT like this.
  17. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Check the Hinckley Times, Leicester Mercury or Coventry Evening Telegraph.

18. WanderingDragon

WanderingDragon Well-Known Member

Thanks TriUK. Having done that it looks like the info I was given was incorrect (I suspected as much). Very frustrating not being able to visit Twycross as I would've been able to see if any of the female bonobos were expecting.

19. TigerStripe

TigerStripe Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! Does anyone know Sailang the Sumatran Tiger’s parents? I know he was born at Obterre Zoo in France, but can’t find any sources saying who his parents are. Thanks :)

Last edited: 28 Mar 2021
  20. Themonkeyguy1

Themonkeyguy1 Well-Known Member

Kasih and Toba.

Tafin, Kifaru Bwana and TigerStripe like this.