Join our zoo community

UK Collections By Public Transport: A Guide

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TeaLovingDave, 13 Dec 2013.

1. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

First is an interesting suggestion, but perhaps one we'll trial with a tent or maybe a caravan first... :)

Yes, a bit of a 'kick in the teeth' really, as would perhaps be expected from our various local authorities.... They are only using us as a convenient landmark, and actively taking people away from us in the opposite direction - at just ten minutes before our opening time!

We'll have to give it some thought to see if we can turn it into something positive... maybe a lift back to Sawtry at the end of the afternoon, (5 minutes by car) for anyone arriving on the mid-day bus to our gate. Then, from Sawtry there are regular hourly busses north and south to both Peterborough and Huntingdon.
    Just thinking aloud - as logistics, costs, vehicles, staffing would all have to be taken into account... and set against an unknown demand.

Mo Hassan likes this.
  2. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

MARTIN MERE WWT DIRECTIONS –

From Burscough Bridge Station
    Walk south-west on station approach then
    Turn left towards Liverpool Rd A59
    At the roundabout take 1st exit onto Liverpool Rd A59
    The turn left on to Red Cat Lane
    Continue to Tarlscough Lane
    Continue to Fish Lane
    Then turn left on to Martin Mere WWT car Park
    A distance of around 2 miles

Or you could book a taxi in advance for £5.00 each way

3. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Members might like to know that as of this morning 6th April 2020, the stupid, useless bus provided as described above is still running. Completely empty, so the driver can easily manage 'social distancing' - none of the seats have been removed, so if there were every any passengers, they couldn't.

We are surviving on borrowings and a freeze of (some of) our financial commitments for 3 months.

Our Council is still wasting our money - talk about fiddling whilst Rome burns - no pun intended...

4. GaryA

GaryA Well-Known Member

MARWELL
    Apologies if this has been posted before but on a Sunday the 69 service has started running again between Winchester and Bishops Waltham.
    Be aware that it isn't all journeys so do check the Stagecoach website for times.
    It does mean if you can get to Winchester by train you can then get to Marwell by public transport after many years when the service didn't run.

5. zooboy

zooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Worth pointing out that there has been a regular bus service every year in recent years on most spring summer weekends, bank holidays and throughout the school holidays; this is the M1 from Eastleigh (railway station) and also some, less frequent, M1 journeys extend to Southampton City Centre and Southampton (Parkway) Airport (and rail station). This should be operating again this year but has not started, so watch Marwell's website for an update. The Zoo, incidentally will re-open on July 3rd but there will be earlier opening to members from the 29th June; again see Marwell's website for the details.

6. wibbs

wibbs Well-Known Member 15+ year member

thigby hall
    does any one know if there is any public transport to thigby hall i be staying in yarmouth , cant seem find any info . thanks and sorry if already been posted and i missed it

7. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I looked into it a few years ago and I'm sure there was a bus from Great Yarmouth to there, but it was every two hours and about a 90 minute journey... East Anglia seems to be a bit of a black spot for easily accessible collections in general.

8. wibbs

thank you looks like taxi best option if i get the time i try and stroke a deal , i was kind of guessing it wasnt easy as there was nothing on there website and usally thats the fist thing you want on your website how to get there

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Moovit says that bus routes 72a and 6 go past Thrigby Hall from Great Yarmouth (which is the same as Yarmouth?). Line 6 looks good on the map, but if I understand their timetable correctly it is actually a "sort of long distance" coach which only runs once a day in that direction. The number 72a has a route map which doesn't actually start in Yarmouth but I guess it depends where you are - it has a stop right outside the place you want to visit.
    How to get to Thrigby Hall in Great Yarmouth by Bus or Train | Moovit

Timetable for 72a: 72A - Thurne - Acle – Our Bus – bustimes.org

However Rome2Rio says there is no bus and to take a taxi.

Brum and pipaluk like this.
  10. wibbs

thanks all i decided i try and haggle a deal with a taxi company or more likely as im use to long bike rides weather permitting ill hire a bike im sure there one in yarmouth as bike riding on the way up .

pipaluk likes this.
  11. Brum

Chew Valley Animal Park

Impossible, probably suicide, really not too easy in a car. Don't even bother attempting it, will result in death or some sort of serious injury! ;):p

cliffxdavis, TNT and pipaluk like this.
  12. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

With Bristol closing soon does anyone know if there is still a direct bus from Bristol Temple Meads to the zoo? Planning on visiting this week.

13. Brum

According to Google the number 8 (which is the bus you want) still goes the same route so you should be okay. :)

Fallax likes this.
  14. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Barring this, there is a regular train service from Temple Meads to Clifton Down station, only 10 minutes walk from the zoo.

TNT and Brum like this.
  15. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In the late 1970s and early 80s additional trains operated from Swansea to Clifton Down during the school holidays, so that people could visit the zoo without going into Bristol. They were unofficially known as "The Monkey Express."

TNT likes this.
  16. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I imagine they'll be no reduction in the bus service as it serves Clifton and the downs area. It was always best to get the number 8 to the zoo and the 9 back as both buses do the same circuit, only one goes clockwise and the other anticlockwise.

Brum likes this.
  17. zootografiando

zootografiando Member

Hello everyone.

Next week I'm going to be in Bournemouth on Monday and Tuesday. This is an ideal opportunity to see Lasiorhinus latifrons from Longslet Safari Park and Fossa fossana from Exmoor on a day trip (About a three hours drive).

I had thought about renting a car but the way of driving is very different from that of Spain and the truth is that I don't dare. Any advice for public transport? Someone who lives in the area and is interested in making that visit sharing expenses?

Mo Hassan likes this.
  18. equidae

equidae Well-Known Member

For others that prefer a walk to the bus:

Africa Alive
    - 1h30 minute walk from Oulton Broad South, less on the way back when you’re going downhill. I went via Beccles Rd and then onto Gisleham Rd. There’s a short narrow stretch without much of a grass verge, but it’s quiet outside of the school run, and every driver I met was sensible.

Marwell Zoo
    - 1h walk from Shawford (short platform - you have to be sat in the first 4 carriages), through Twyford and Colden Common. If you prefer a walk away from the road, and don’t mind a longer route, there’s plenty of bridleways you can follow instead.

Linton Zoo
    - 1h30 from Great Chesterford via the Icknield Way Trail. Nice easy walk on a footpath throughout, but probably less pleasant when it’s been wet.

pendraig_milnerae and bongorob like this.
  19. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Birmingham Wildlife Conservation Park

The Park is an easy, 30 minute walk from University (Birmingham) rail station, which is itself only 5 minutes train ride from Birmingham New Street. The route takes you right past the University of Birmingham Lapworth Museum of Geology, which makes a nice pairing for the day.

pendraig_milnerae, Kalaw and TNT like this.
  20. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I never thought of that Crowthorne, for some reason I always walked from Selly Oak station.

May I add for those not familiar with the railways in the West Midlands that there is a frequent service between Birmingham New Street and University during the day time,departing at 15,23,30,43,50,53 minutes each hour and returning from University at 00,06,26,35,39,56 minutes past each hour.